Where to Buy (in Thailand): US-Army-Grade WOOL BLANKETS, or Better?

GammaGlobulin

Where can one buy wool blankets similar to the typical US Army/Navy Blankets?

Such blankets are usually between 70% and 80% wool, and washable.

Alternatively, British Army Blankets would suffice, and might be better.

Such blankets are easily available online at places like Amazon:

(Arcturus Military Wool Blanket - 4.5 lbs, Warm, Thick, Washable, Large 64" x 88" )

However, where can the same quality be sourced in Thailand without buying from Amazon?

No doubt, with the cooler temperatures soon to be upon us, this information might be timely. for more than a few.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, sungod said:

'Hairy Blankets' those were the days...........

Some sleepers find the modern down duvet to be extremely uncomfortable. Each to his own. 

Give me a wool blanket on any cold night, please. 

But, where to buy? 

That is the question. 

• Like 1

Modern very lighweight synthetic blankets are just as good, totally machine washable, dry very quickly, can be rolled down to maybe just 10% of the overall space of a wool blanket. 

These have been available for decades, we had them in the war era in Vietnam.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Modern very lighweight synthetic blankets are just as good, totally machine washable, dry very quickly, can be rolled down to maybe just 10% of the overall space of a wool blanket. 

These have been available for decades, we had them in the war era in Vietnam.

Some sleepers are not able to tolerate synthetic-fiber clothing/bedding. 

Wool is comfortable, lightweight and warm. I'm not picky about types of wool, although some types are better than others for blankets. But, I would prefer alpaca or merino wool, 100 percent. 

Do you know where to buy in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I searched Thai websites, but couldn't find the real deal.  You might be able to find one at the stores that sell military items (uniforms, used boots, etc) outside most all military bases.  Udon has a few....I'd guess the same at other bases.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

I searched Thai websites, but couldn't find the real deal.  You might be able to find one at the stores that sell military items (uniforms, used boots, etc) outside most all military bases.  Udon has a few....I'd guess the same at other bases.

Yes.  It seems that you are correct that the real deal is difficult to find.

Good suggestion about checking the local army bases.

However, since Thailand is a tropical country, one might doubt that the army surplus blankets might be the same in Thailand as the army surplus blankets once available in the US. (Those blankets were probably surplus from the Korean war or something. Amazingly good quality.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True.  Those blankets from China in the link are wool.  But, what kind of wool?  Synthetic fiber wool.

When I stated wool, I meant fiber obtained from sheep, or other mammals like alpaca, etc.

The blankets with the big letter H on them for 1499.00 on the lazada site are probably real wool.. none of the others are priced high enough to be anything other than acrylic.

My wife buys the Chinese recycled cotton ones ..and sews two together.

Very comfortable and natural fabric

They have them on Lazada Philippines:  

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/arcturus-military-wool-blanket-45-lbs-warm-thick-washable-large-64-x-88-great-for-camping-outdoors-sporting-events-and-survival-kits-i3048832632.html

if you could find a way of  ordering from there.

Also on ebay.

Most of the cloth here seems to be synthetic. Very  little, if any wool or cotton. Asia's natural fibre is silk.

I think you might  have to settle for a substitute or accept that you will need to order from abroad.

In my Army experience (60-63) can not imagine anyone wanting to sleep with such blankets - but guess each to their own.  

21 minutes ago, phetphet said:

They have them on Lazada Philippines:  

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/arcturus-military-wool-blanket-45-lbs-warm-thick-washable-large-64-x-88-great-for-camping-outdoors-sporting-events-and-survival-kits-i3048832632.html

if you could find a way of  ordering from there.

Also on ebay.

Most of the cloth here seems to be synthetic. Very  little, if any wool or cotton. Asia's natural fibre is silk.

I think you might  have to settle for a substitute or accept that you will need to order from abroad.

Actually if you check they do not have in Philippines - like most items on Lazada there they are imported.

2 hours ago, cmjc said:

I use two normal Thai blankets stitched together to make them twice as thick.

Works fine, synthetic "wool" washable and cheap.

Next week we'll need a nightcap, and hot-water-bottle as well.

Don't forget wooly bedsocks too.

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Some sleepers are not able to tolerate synthetic-fiber clothing/bedding. 

Wool is comfortable, lightweight and warm. I'm not picky about types of wool, although some types are better than others for blankets. But, I would prefer alpaca or merino wool, 100 percent. 

Do you know where to buy in Thailand? 

Yep that's me ... synthetics don't breathe anywhere as well as natural fibres and are much hotter. Synthetics ... the exact opposite of what to use in a hot climate.

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Some sleepers find the modern down duvet to be extremely uncomfortable. Each to his own. 

Give me a wool blanket on any cold night, please. 

But, where to buy? 

That is the question. 

Lots of army surplus stores  in Bangkok out the back of MOD, Supreme court., try Lang Krasung market.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, bwanajohn said:

The blankets with the big letter H on them for 1499.00 on the lazada site are probably real wool.. none of the others are priced high enough to be anything other than acrylic.

My wife buys the Chinese recycled cotton ones ..and sews two together.

Very comfortable and natural fabric

What an amazingly good idea!

Cotton is comfortable, and if one has enough layers of cotton, then this is excellent for Thailand winters.

In most cases, I just sleep with up to six or eight 100-percent cotton sheets on top, and the recent winters have not required more.

Still, sheep's-wool blankets are extremely comfortable. I just can't find one in Thailand.

There are plenty available on Amazon, such as this one:  8 Pounds; 100 Percent Wool; Nice Olive Green Color

PRICE ON AMAZON: Approximately Bt.2800.00

These blankets last a long time.

(Still, very good idea about sewing cotton quilts together to make them thick enough.)

image.jpeg.c176fb68ce4ae5da923ceecf2f788513.jpeg

On 12/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, flexomike said:

I have one good one from 1968 that was issued to me at Fort Leonard MO, USA amazing it is still in good shape, not for sale

It is still in good shape because these blankets are excellent quality, and very comfortable.

I used to have many. Unfortunately, I left them in the USA decades ago.

I will be surprised if I can find one of the same quality and type for sale, HERE, in Thailand.

I don't want to buy online.

(Of course, I know that they are available online from various online retail stores.  But, I don't want to pay the international shipping costs, nor endure the frustration.)

Also, regarding blankets on Alibaba, the products listed in the comment somewhere above show a minimum order of up to 5000 units.  I don't want a 20-foot container of blankets.  I just want one or two good quality blankets, 100 percent sheep's wool, same size as Army/Navy surplus blankets, same weight, maybe about 8 pounds.

Re: Synthetic Fiber for Wool...

Synthetic Fiber clothing and bedding is GARBAGE. GARBAGE.

Most of what is coming out of China is GARBAGE.

Even when the Chinese CCP says it is natural fiber, NOBODY trusts the Communist Party of China. anymore.

Nobody.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yep that's me ... synthetics don't breathe anywhere as well as natural fibres and are much hotter. Synthetics ... the exact opposite of what to use in a hot climate.

Unfortunately, most people here have never experienced the difference.

Unfortunately, most people here are satisfied with synthetic fiber clothing and bedding from China. (But it is garbage.)

If people don't know any better, then one can't really blame them.

They are not stupid people.  They are just inexperienced people.

I don't know how Thai students tolerate their synthetic-fiber uniforms in the sweltering heat of the Thai classroom.

I feel sorry for them.