Online gambling operator given 20 years in prison

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A major online gambling operator was sentenced to 54 years in prison, reduced to 20 years today (Wednesday), after he was found guilty of 25 offences related illegal gambling by the Criminal Court.

Should have done it from another country.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That sounds like a great reason to not start a gambling operation.

In Thailand, in most of the rest of the world this would not be a problem at all.

There are countries that actively encourage gambling operations, fully licensed and legal.

My guess is that these groups make a huge amount of money and then become slack, once they have such riches they could incorporate anywhere in the world and literally move there to run their company online and legitimately but they don't seem to bother - well, at least these low hanging fruit type operations don't seem to bother.

I'll bet that there's a load of western corporations targeting the Thai and other Chinese type markets which have the gambling gene.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sia is an honorific title, not a name. He'll not be doing jail time. 

Not honorific at all, it just states that the people who address him reckon/suppose that the guy is rich/filthy rich but I guess that will not impact your statement  : )

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2022 at 6:18 AM, ikke1959 said:

The punishment is more severe than killing someone... Joe Ferrari case, and others too

Nonsense, Joe Ferrari got life in prison, this guy got 20 years for 25 separate offences (43 offences according to the Bangkok Post).  Who has had a less severe punishment for 25 murders?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, Joe Ferrari got life in prison, this guy got 20 years for 25 separate offences (43 offences according to the Bangkok Post).  Who has had a less severe punishment for 25 murders?

sure ...read the article of Joe Ferrari... and besides that 43 offences of which ??? 43 victims?? In Thailand they can find stick to hit a dog even if there is nothing .....even can be convicted for not helping someone who is in need...open your eyes please.....

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And they have been allocated as consecutive sentences rather than concurrent then?

A life sentence sounds heavy handed.

25 offences (43 according to the Bangkok Post) sounds pretty heavy also.   Same procedure is used worldwide, commit more criminal offences and get more jail time, seems logical to me.

On 12/15/2022 at 6:18 AM, ikke1959 said:

They are outdated and sometimes punishments don't fit the crime..

Along with not being able to purchase alcohol between 1400 and 1700.  There is also the ludicrous defamation laws.  Thailands laws are way behind the current norm in western countries.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, ikke1959 said:
On 12/16/2022 at 8:35 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

sure ...read the article of Joe Ferrari...

Why, what are you disputing about what I said about Joe Ferarri?

On 12/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, ikke1959 said:
On 12/16/2022 at 8:35 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

...and besides that 43 offences of which ??? 43 victims??

I've no idea how many victims there were, what does that matter?  It's not relevant to the charges of which there were 43, or 25 depending on which publication is read, and the punishment.