Pick-up carrying solar cells bursts into flames on Chaeng Wattana - driver/passenger escape unhurt

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Dramatic fire!

Daily News reported that police were called after a Mitsubishi Triton pick-up burst into flames outside the offices of the National Telecom Public Company Ltd on Chaeng Wattana outbound yesterday at 4.30 pm.

Surachai, 30, said he was going home to Nonthaburi after picking up a load of solar cells from Minburi.

He noticed a fire coming from the back as he was stopped in a pre-rush hour traffic jam.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

He and a passenger fled to safety but their vehicle was completely destroyed. 

Police think there was a short circuit of some kind in the solar cells but are investigating further to determine the exact cause. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think the police need a new "expert". If it really was just solar panels the chances of anything untoward happening with them not connected is vanishingly small.

At a guess I would suggest that input wires were connected to output wires and the short circuit current would have been enough to heat up a few poorly made internal connections between cells. Probably would not have happened if panels were t'other way up. Mind you if there was a poor internal connection it would have shown up sooner or later anyway.

I wonder how the explanation went to the insurance company.

• Haha 1

Hello,  I'm trying to contact Tim Newton, but I'm not sure how to reply to his video programs. I missed a recent weekend program he had re eyesight surgery,  I want to ask if there is a podcast of this I can watch.

Many thanks for any info.

pl8lad.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Truck catches on fire ... solar cells shouldn't even be in the headline. 

"Another ICE spontaneously combusts ... TH heading toward all EVs to void more mishaps in the future " ... ????

Been quite a few EV's going on fire which is or should be a matter to be taken seriously

12 hours ago, pl8lad said:

Hello,  I'm trying to contact Tim Newton, but I'm not sure how to reply to his video programs. I missed a recent weekend program he had re eyesight surgery,  I want to ask if there is a podcast of this I can watch.

Many thanks for any info.

pl8lad.

There's his youtube channel...  https://www.youtube.com/@timnewtontoday

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think the police need a new "expert". If it really was just solar panels the chances of anything untoward happening with them not connected is vanishingly small.

Agreed. Likely carrying batteries in truck as well. Also I assume that only one or two panels at most were exposed to sun, so output was low.

Conceivably IF all the cells were active and output WIRES partially shorted (as in fairly low resistance connection) enough I2R energy MAY have been available to burn wire insulation. But again, not enough combustible material on wires to cause a fire like this.

Too many 'Ifs': I'm going with the battery scenario.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, Crossy said:

It said solar cells, could that be different from solar panels...I've no idea, you may have?