Immigration officers coming and checking that I live here...

14 hours ago, al valio said:

Yes, they called me, but like "we'll be at your place in 10 minutes". When I explained that I was out for lunch and shopping they asked when I was back home. I said "probably around 6pm", after which they ended the call.

A few minutes after that they called me again and asked if I really couldn't come home earlier. Since I wasn't far away and really didn't want any trouble with my non-Imm O application, I agreed to come back home so that they can check and take their photos etc.

So no idea what would have happened if I wasn't at home till the pick-up day for my visa...

Anyhow they were really polite, but it was just a really weird experience. They took photos of me like sometimes you see in the "suspect arrested" reports ????

My last marriage extension our ‘witness’ was running 15mins late on their arrival. I said sorry can you wait please. I was told “no, get someone to sign now or you don’t get an extension, up to you” Luckily a new neighbour was happy to be late for work and sign for us. 

They don’t like to wait for anyone regardless of visa type it seems 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Onerak said:

What do you mean asserting your own status? Don't you realize that they have you like a refugee and give visa from year-to-year, force you to do 90-reporting, etc. etc. If you want to assert your status, get an LT visa, smart visa, or use an agent. Otherwise you're an insignificant ant you will kowtow to their every demand for you precious "retirement visa" or "wife visa"

Got my first 10-year LTR visa based on pensioner in November, no home visits where I've lived for past nine years using non O-A extensions nor at anytime using non O-A extensions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Question: If an agent would do your visa, including the financial requirements, Immigration would also visit you ? 

i was going to ask this BUT assume since it not where you live, (Usually agents use Issan immigrations) 
they know ur not there, so wont visit you

In Phuket, Immigration seems to only check on those using marriage extensions, not retirement.

• Like 2

I had the same thought it was only for  the Marriage visa 

When they arrived met the wife showed  photos of us married son was there as well

Had the photo taken of us all in front of the house 

Plus they had the security compound guard confirm I  was living there as well took about 30 minutes 

• Like 1

I have experienced the same.

Around 2 days after lodging an application for a 1 year extention on a 30 day non immi O based on my 8yo son being a Thai national. My entry was when you required a COE to get into the Kingdom just over 2 years ago.

Was all very polite and routine as far as i was concerned. I received a call prior to the officers arrival and was done with completing similar formalities as the origonal poster within 5 min.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, al valio said:

Is this a usual procedure (2 officers, took photos of me, passport, condo, etc.) or did I get a special treatment free of charge? ????

Background: I just recently applied for conversion of visa-exempt to Non-Imm O (retirement) in Bangkok, am due to pick it up next week.

Perfectly normal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Perfectly normal.

Perfectly normal to me implies common occurrence.

Normal procedure.

I haven't read a similar OP regarding Bangkok. Retirement. 

Certainly not from CW.

I wonder if the OP deals with Nonthaburi. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I should probably have clearly put into the subject line that this visit was for "first time Non-Imm O", (even though I mentioned it in the text), during the 14+ day waiting period until visa is issued.

Before my visa application I read the threads here, and got the impression that these home visits happen for long term stays.

That it is a standard procedure for newbie first time applicants was a surprise to me, so my post was also meant as a heads up for those.

Be prepared to stay in Bangkok for the 14+ days your application is processed, if this check is now a requirement.

Of course I don't know if the "personal house check" is really a requirement and no trouble if you're somewhere away at a beach and they can't check on you.

And yes, Bangkok Immigration at CW. As Tod said a few posts before, this is apparently standard procedure for them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I will wait for similar posts from folk that have had same experience in obtaining a non O retirement at CW. 

Haven't read one apart from this thread. 

I can confirm that a friend I have been assisting with his visa exempt to NON-O for retirement at Chaeng Wattana also got a home visit.

Do they now do it for everyone? Who knows ...

This happened just recently, he applied something like 27 Nov, got under consideration until 15 Dec.  Then got a phone call and house visit about a week after he applied.

Edited by expat_4_life
Add immigration office
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

They do that. Be nice.  Invite them in to a box of COLD Chang beer.  Smile.  Be respectful and tell them you want a p_ss .   Get drunk with them and they will never bother you again.

nope...next time they will come back for good brandy ..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, al valio said:

Ok, thanks. Was my first time and felt really weird....

Good that I was in Bangkok anyhow and didn't leave for a weekend trip to the south, not sure what would have happened then with my visa application if they didn't find me at home.

you would get FREE holiday in the Bkk hilton.....dont know how many days tho'

6 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I  can confirm that a friend I have been assisting with his visa exempt to NON-O for retirement at Chaeng Wattana also got a home visit.

Do they now do it for everyone? Who knows ..

Certainly not.

Even in this thread couple stating that they recently obtained a non O retirement from visa exempt entry and no home visit.

So it's random or ? 

Immigration is doing this based on nationality or...? 

15 hours ago, Onerak said:

What do you mean asserting your own status? Don't you realize that they have you like a refugee and give visa from year-to-year, force you to do 90-reporting, etc. etc. If you want to assert your status, get an LT visa, smart visa, or use an agent. Otherwise you're an insignificant ant you will kowtow to their every demand for you precious "retirement visa" or "wife visa"

LOL.....you must special !!!

I have been doing my extension every year for 7 years now and taking the 60 seconds online to renew my 90 days form, never an issue with the boys when I go in once a year, some are good, they laugh, make jokes and treat me respectfully as I do them, but there is one who I seem to get every single time who just doesn't smile and isn't very talkative, I don't hold that against him, he must hate the constant paper shuffling because of me renewing my marriage extension, i.e. making him work, that or seeing my bank balance every year makes him dislike me ????

Have had the occasional minor annual problems, like once I forgot to take photos for my marriage extension (my bad) 500 baht to the Xmas fund was the suggestion and LINE the photos to them and they would print them off and attach to my application, which was better than doing a 3 hour round trip which would have cost me the same for the petrol, done the environment no better, much to my wife's disapproval, I made the executive decision that she didn't agree with, you see he could have said, go home and take them and come back, but he did me a favour, saving me time which I appreciated, smart business decision:stoner:

The other time was I turned up 1st cab off the rank to get my extension stamp on the day they told me, (no have), we ring you when approval arrives, drove back home after staying at Makro to do some shopping for a couple of hours hoping the approval would arrive before I left the area, no such luck, drove the hour and a half back home to be greeted by the wife who was on the phone with them, you come back now said the immigration officer, I wanted to say &^*%*%^&, but said, tomorrow ok and went back the next day, this was not their fault, can't help it, I'm super organised at times, now I go in the afternoon of the day they tell me, but not before the wife calls them to confirm it's there.

The system isn't perfect, they have their jobs to do, if you can call them jobs, but if your organised and know what to provide them with and what to expect, it's ok, apart from the time it takes you to do it all vs wasting the money to have an agent to do it, that's just either laziness or incompetence in my opinion, oh and just to confirm, your comment of us being insignificant ants always Kowtowing to them is you just being paranoid of a couple of dudes in brown uniform, you must be special ????

I think you would also be a load of fun to have a drink with, do you bring your agent along as well when you go for a drink ?   

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Certainly not.

Even in this thread couple stating that they recently obtained a non O retirement from visa exempt entry and no home visit.

So it's random or ? 

I have had one visit in 10 years with my extension based on retirement. 

That was just after the Erewan bombing when there was a bit of a crackdown on locating foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So it's random or ? 

Good question ...

Some more details, American citizen/passport but in his case born in Hong Kong, not the USA. Speculation, but maybe that has something to do with it.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

They do that. Be nice.  Invite them in to a box of COLD Chang beer.  Smile.  Be respectful and tell them you want a p_ss .   Get drunk with them and they will never bother you again.

I reluctantly give them cold water  'coz my wife insists.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vangrop said:

what are you retired old farangs afraid of? they do their job and if your papers are ok, nothing to worry about.

I can see the membership of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade increasing rapidly now. ????

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Happens quite frequently at Koh Samui Immigration, but they don't seem to have the sense to phone to check that you are in, despite several documents having my phone number on.  Last time they came just as I was going out and advised them that they are not doing themselves any favours and got a little bit grumpy when they implied I should change my immediate plans to accommodate their inefficiency!

I just don't like authority of any kind, I will obey rules if I agree with them, if I don't. I will try to find a way round them. Common sense is the best rule of all, but unfortunately that is something too many people don't have.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Apples and oranges.

Home visit for extensions based on marriage is very common.

The thread is about first time non O based on retirement. 

That is Strange then Jack, I've had ONE Home Visit in 25 Years....And have been Married for almost 30 Years !! But The Men in Suits were VERY Polite !!

59 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I have had one visit in 10 years with my extension based on retirement. 

That was just after the Erewan bombing when there was a bit of a crackdown on locating foreigners.

After that bombing I had one officer come to my house to check on me three times within less than a month. A different officer each time.