Household Power Tariff Frozen from Jan to April

snoop1130

1671183384_780854-tnamcot.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 16 (TNA) – The power tariff will remain unchanged at 4.72 baht per unit but that for other groups of power users will rise to 5.69 baht from January to April next year.

On Dec 15 the Energy Regulatory Commission announced the electricity fee of 4.72 baht per unit for households and 5.69 baht per units (up by 21%) for other kinds of power users. The decision complied with the instruction of the National Energy Policy Council to prevent impacts on the cost of living.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1077229

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The decision complied with the instruction of the National Energy Policy Council to prevent impacts on the cost of living.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Unfortunately, if you raise energy costs for manufacturing businesses 21 per cent then the cost of goods produced will impact the cost of living.

My thoughts exactly. Well said. ????

• Thanks 1

So households dodge a rise in home electric use ...

... but can now expect a 20% almost across the board increase in prices of everything else.

Lucky them ... us ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

On Dec 15 the Energy Regulatory Commission announced the electricity fee of 4.72 baht per unit for households and 5.69 baht per units (up by 21%) for other kinds of power users. The decision complied with the instruction of the National Energy Policy Council to prevent impacts on the cost of living.

Surely a rise for businesses of 21% will have a direct impact on the cost of living?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You forgot to mention that you don't have an Electricty Bill because of Solar :whistling:

Shh...

... although I would think my signature would point that out to most folks.

It's all about .... ME ME ME ME ????

& my baht

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A 20 % rise in the cost of Manufacturing, is going to certainly add to the Inflationary pressures in Thailand.

Inflation has ben reported at just over 6. % ( among the Worlds lowest ) which, as many will say is nowhere near the true figure, which IMO is closer to 10 %

Food Inflation seems to keep rising on an almost daily basis and many items are now well over 30 % higher than 12 Months ago for staples such as Pork, Chicken, Veggies Cooking Oil Etc.

Difficult to believe anything 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Surely a rise for businesses of 21% will have a direct impact on the cost of living?

The idea isn’t to STOP all price rises but alleviate. You may be able to reduce your costs by altering your shopping habits but much more difficult on your home energy. Thailand is very much cheaper on energy costs than most of Europe.And we don’t have the winter there like now ???? 

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Some of the big malls need to set their aircon to 27 or 28.

Agree, and same at home.

In all our bedrooms it's set for 29, medium fan, and turns off: 2:00 am kids rooms, son & his wife bedroom and mine at midnight. And all air-cons are LG inverter and we use the 'savings' button on the remote for every room. 

When we got serious to go to above settings the bill did come down quite a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Agree, and same at home.

In all our bedrooms it's set for 29, medium fan, and turns off: 2:00 am kids rooms, son & his wife bedroom and mine at midnight. And all air-cons are LG inverter and we use the 'savings' button on the remote for every room. 

When we got serious to go to above settings the bill did come down quite a bit.

Similar. I try to live without aircon as much as possible in order to acclimatize and live comfortably in Thailand. Just got my last electric bill two days ago. Only used 217 units.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Similar. I try to live without aircon as much as possible in order to acclimatize and live comfortably in Thailand. Just got my last electric bill two days ago. Only used 217 units.

When son had his new house built (in moo baan) he ordered ceiling fans in every room (10 rooms) when he gave the final details to the 'house designer'.

The 'house designer' is a full on lady boy LB, she told my son she was not going to add the ceiling fans to the house design because she thinks they are too old fashioned and ugly.

Son insisted then demanded ceiling fans and developers office agreed they would be added.

At first inspection (30 days after building started) son & his wife visited, son saw the drawings and took a look, no ceiling fans. Supervisor called the house designer to come.

Son asked 'why no ceiling fabs on the drawings?'. LB response - 'ceiling fans are not beautiful and I'm sure you want me to make your house beautiful, you don't have any qualifications in design (neither does she) so you don't know how to make your house beautiful'.

Son noticed one of the partners of the development company with their staff on the next lot, son spoke to him and complained saying 'I want ceiling fans and i'm paying for the fans and the installation, and I want your guarantee they will be fitted in all 10 rooms. (In fact son had already bought all 10 fans, good qaulity and they were in boxes in the developers office, waiting for installation).

Developer called the LB and got angry - 'you do what the customer wants and I don't want to hear more stories about you telling customer they don't know anything about design'. Developer finished his tyrade by saying 'I've noted in my diary to check the electrical wiring installation on xx/xx/xxxx to confrim the wiring is being installed'.

Son got his ceiling fans. They do help to reduce the heat a bit and more valuable, to keep the air moving around. It all helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

When son had his new house built (in moo baan) he ordered ceiling fans in every room (10 rooms) when he gave the final details to the 'house designer'.

The 'house designer' is a full on lady boy LB, she told my son she was not going to add the ceiling fans to the house design because she thinks they are too old fashioned and ugly.

Son insisted then demanded ceiling fans and developers office agreed they would be added.

At first inspection (30 days after building started) son & his wife visited, son saw the drawings and took a look, no ceiling fans. Supervisor called the house designer to come.

Son asked 'why no ceiling fabs on the drawings?'. LB response - 'ceiling fans are not beautiful and I'm sure you want me to make your house beautiful, you don't have any qualifications in design (neither does she) so you don't know how to make your house beautiful'.

Son noticed one of the partners of the development company with their staff on the next lot, son spoke to him and complained saying 'I want ceiling fans and i'm paying for the fans and the installation, and I want your guarantee they will be fitted in all 10 rooms. (In fact son had already bought all 10 fans, good qaulity and they were in boxes in the developers office, waiting for installation).

Developer called the LB and got angry - 'you do what the customer wants and I don't want to hear more stories about you telling customer they don't know anything about design'. Developer finished his tyrade by saying 'I've noted in my diary to check the electrical wiring installation on xx/xx/xxxx to confrim the wiring is being installed'.

Son got his ceiling fans. They do help to reduce the heat a bit and more valuable, to keep the air moving around. It all helps.

Funny story. So the developer thought out of revenge the designer might install your ceiling fans but not the wiring!!!  BTW, back in the US, I had ceiling fans in just about every room and had the thermostat set at 79/80 F. It was fine. What I really miss from my youth is the house we had with a giant attic fan, which would suck in the air through the screen window so hard that anything fragile might get knocked down and broken. Tall ceilings, attic fans, and ceiling fans. There are better ways to deal with the heat than setting the aircon to a bone chilling 24 degrees.

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A 20 % rise in the cost of Manufacturing, is going to certainly add to the Inflationary pressures in Thailand.

21 % rise in energy cost, cost of manufacturing is a different thing it includes many other costs.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Funny story. So the developer thought out of revenge the designer might install your ceiling fans but not the wiring!!!  BTW, back in the US, I had ceiling fans in just about every room and had the thermostat set at 79/80 F. It was fine. What I really miss from my youth is the house we had with a giant attic fan, which would suck in the air through the screen window so hard that anything fragile might get knocked down and broken. Tall ceilings, attic fans, and ceiling fans. There are better ways to deal with the heat than setting the aircon to a bone chilling 24 degrees.

Agree.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This village has about 400 houses, a feature was the advertised willinness of the developer for buyers to adjust walls, windows, doors, floors, bathroom fittings, wallpaper, etc., etc. 

Less than 25% through final discussions/drawings already many complaints about the LB house designer, requiring the employment of a second designer, pleasant young guy, qualified in architerecture/civil engineering/interior decorating, who followed the instructions of the developer and the house buyers.

By about 50% completion of the actual house buildings LB designer was dismissed, creating a nightmare for the second guy but he worked diligently and with focus, continuously checked with owners and it all came good.  

Reality is that the LB house designer was the nephew of the wife of the developer who had learned years before to never trust the LB.

Turns out there's reasons, an example: developer ordered a new BMW for his wife. LB heard about the order, went to the BMW showroom and convinced the staff to change the colour and the model of the car on order, but told nobody in the family. Had apparently told the BMW folks 'she doesn't know what's beautiful so I have to help'.

Bottom line, the car turned up, developers wife saw the car and burst into tears 'this is not what I asked for'. Seems she refused to take it and the order was changed back to original.

These things happen. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

21 % rise in energy cost, cost of manufacturing is a different thing it includes many other costs.

Shhhh don't let the serfs know that! Thai manufacturers will use any excuse to increase their wide profit margins and price gouge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really can't make sense on how this applies to us here in Chiang Mai. The article includes the statement "ERC secretary-general Khomgrich Tantravanich said the ERC adjusted its calculation of the fuel tariff (FT) which was part of power tariff to be in line with the instruction from the council."

I interpret this to mean that after all the cost elements are added to the basic usage charge (i.e., VAT, FT, etc.) the net unit charge to the household consumer should reflect 4.72B/Unit.

As for my household, in January 2022 our charges with all costs applied equated to be 4.51B/Unit; and in December the bill, after all costs applied, equated to be 5.48B/Unit.

December's usage was 4% less than January's.  The key cost driver in December was the enormous increase in FT.  In January the FT unit charge was .0139B; in December it was .9343B (nearly 1B per unit!).

Earlier news stated that the FT rate in January would be increasing.  I'll see what happens with our charges then....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

I really can't make sense on how this applies to us here in Chiang Mai. The article includes the statement "ERC secretary-general Khomgrich Tantravanich said the ERC adjusted its calculation of the fuel tariff (FT) which was part of power tariff to be in line with the instruction from the council."

I interpret this to mean that after all the cost elements are added to the basic usage charge (i.e., VAT, FT, etc.) the net unit charge to the household consumer should reflect 4.72B/Unit.

As for my household, in January 2022 our charges with all costs applied equated to be 4.51B/Unit; and in December the bill, after all costs applied, equated to be 5.48B/Unit.

December's usage was 4% less than January's.  The key cost driver in December was the enormous increase in FT.  In January the FT unit charge was .0139B; in December it was .9343B (nearly 1B per unit!).

Earlier news stated that the FT rate in January would be increasing.  I'll see what happens with our charges then....

Definitely going to affect you, and the cost of living.  Not your electric bill, but every other non household bill that will be passing their higher cost on to you, the end consumer.

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are of course correct

My bad

Forgot the word " energy "

- something that sometimes , at my age, I lack

But for sure there will be an impact on Manufacturing costs, and as more and more Industry relies upon Machines rather than people, the cost of Electricity ( and Gas ) to many Companies will be significant