Is it really possible to be here with 6 years overstay

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm on annual extensions retirement using money in bank method.

If folk use agents or overstay or whatever effects me ZERO. 

Yes up to you. 

Fact is you stated would "dob" overstayer in. 

Sad 

It has affected us as they made us keep the cash longer in the bank to try and stop the fraudsters, obviously it did not work. Nothing sad about getting rid of people who have no right to be here.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, proton said:

If you have no respect for the law and are stupid or desperate enough yes, he will get caught out eventually

Indeed. Eventually he'll get sick or have an accident and have to go to a proper hospital. Then he's for immigration detention and a flight home.

I wonder what happens to the people that enable him to overstay.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What would you do if you had already a year or two overstay and you want to stay in Thailand, i.e. because of your family. I think with that overstay there is no legal way to stay here or even go away and return sometime soon.

So I guess some guys just stay and hope for the best.

Sure, but then comes the intelligent question. How can one be so stupid, to start a relationship and a family knowing that one can´t really take the responsibility that follows such decision?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I had a friend who never extended unless he wanted to leave and then just paid the 20k.. he rarely left in the course of 20+ yrs. 

How did he deal with the blacklistings?

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, but then comes the intelligent question. How can one be so stupid, to start a relationship and a family knowing that one can´t really take the responsibility that follows such decision?

Presumably they start the family before they let themselves fall into the overstay trap.

14 hours ago, Mino said:

Is that really possible that someone can "hide" here with a huge overstay? 

Sure.

Nobody on the street ever asked me to show my visa/status here this century.

But he can be in trouble when he ever has a disagreement with one of the people in his town.

They can report him to the police who might surprise him with a visit.

13 hours ago, proton said:

what do they do when the passport runs out as well?

A German friend of mine was caught on overstay a couple of years back. He was unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and was initially charged with working without a permit. However, it transpired that his passport had expired 5 years previously. He did not renew it as he was apparently wanted in Germany on fraud charges.

• Haha 1

If you keep a low profile, live a regimental saint-like life and stay buddy buddy with the gf's family and extended family, then there's a chance of overstaying without ever being caught. Having good relations with equally low profile locals is crucial for that roof over one's head without visa checks. Having a safe hideout or hidey-hole, in other words.

Living in a rural area helps greatly as it is far less likely to be frequented by pesky face-recognizing BMWs. Making an effort to learn the language is definitely on that to-do checklist. Being tech savvy earns you brownie points as it gives you access to forums like this, a rich source of info about other overstayers' experiences and the strategies they used to stay one step ahead of the BIB.

And money. If you have it and manage it wisely, then, true to Frank Sinatra's words, you're definitely gonna make it all the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mino said:

Yes. My friend told me he never moved from the small town for years. 

Is this harboring a fugitive?    Bro, I’m not saying I’m special forces task force capture falangs, but I’m not saying I’m not. Meet him, friends, don’t tell authorities…..

Edited by BananaStrong

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

A German friend of mine was caught on overstay a couple of years back. He was unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and was initially charged with working without a permit. However, it transpired that his passport had expired 5 years previously. He did not renew it as he was apparently wanted in Germany on fraud charges.

Same story with a mutual friend: back few years he was working for a new resort in Surin and the owner <deleted> off someone: this guy called the IO and they catch him without a work permit and, once at IO, they found he was also in, I think, 9 months overstay. But....few hours and walk out the office. Now back to his country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Seemed like a good idea at the time?????????

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

How did he deal with the blacklistings?

Presumably they start the family before they let themselves fall into the overstay trap.

If you start a family anywhere, you must be secure enough, to know that you can stay and support as well as take responsibility for your actions. 

Your comment is total garbage! Presumably???? And if you start a family, why in the world would you let yourself fall into an overstay trap, as you seem to call it?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Not always does life follow the initial plan. If it would, I would be sitting in my pool villa jacuzzi overlooking a nice beach, right now.

What I would never do is begrudge somebody a silent, peaceful existence somewhere, presumably still contributing to the well-being of his family or community in whatever limited manner, simply by being there.

As Thailand has little social services this guy could possibly leach off, who could he even harm?

I might take a different stance, if this person would be an underworld baron living off his ill-gotten riches, or some other kind of serious criminal. But then we would likely not be talking about a guy in some village in Isaan, no?

So, in short. Responsibility is not for you. 

• Haha 1

When the Thai authorities announced that, starting on a specific date, there would be blacklisting penalties for those on overstay, there were multiple accounts of people leaving to become legal (and returning) with over 20 year overstays (I think the most was 28 years).

I believe it is more difficult now than in the past. Unlike most here, I think living in a remote area makes you more likely to be caught. As a foreigner in such a village, you stand out like a sore thumb, and officialdom will almost certainly become aware of your existence. If you are well liked by the locals, officials knowing you are not quite legal might leave you alone, but this is less likely than in the past. Of course, the payment of bribes might buy leniency. On the other hand, if you are in a small, cheap apartment in an anonymous area of Bangkok, it is very possible that no one will take any notice of you for decades. There are raids done occasionally looking for Burmese and Cambodians, but Westerners are usually only at risk in large apartment buildings where the authorities carry out checks on every room.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1