Thai immigration officer asks for a “sin nam jai” to “help quicken the visa application process”

Of course the officer asked for the "facilitating payment" AFTER you completed the survey saying that you were not asked for a bribe. Then if you complain later, they can say, "But you said you were not asked for a bribe!"

Something similar happened to me on a boat tour in Vietnam once. The boat rowers were known to really pester tourists for a "tip" at the end of the tour, which put a lot of tourists off. So just before the end of the tour, the rowers handed out a questionnaire that was essentially the same as the one you mentioned, asking if the rower had asked you for a tip. After saying no, the rower hinted, "Since I didn't ASK you for a tip, would you consider giving one voluntarily?" So I think the whole purpose of those questionnaires is to get a tip anyway - while making it seem like it was your choice to give the tip.

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm guessing that your choice of words, "quick service" may be the reason, perhaps that was misinterpreted? Which Immi office was this, where? When I lived in Phuket at least on Immi officer there was pretty blatant about what he wanted, he had pieces of paper in the center draw of his desk with different amounts written on them. He would never actually say anything but from time to time a slip of paper would appear with the number 500 written on it.

'I'm guessing that your choice of words, "quick service" may be the reason, perhaps that was misinterpreted?'

I don't think he was asking him how much for a 'quickie'.

????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, problemfarang said:

17 years in thailand.. did visa extensions many times and also different type of visas and in many many cities.. never ever asked or mentioned about money.. i have zero friends asked money or help. im so surprised when im reading these kind of posts. 

im not saying lie or i dont believe. i dont know its up to the city you are doing or not, but as i said i did my extensions in many cities and really small ones too. 

15 years living here, never been asked for money by Jomtien Immigration. The BIB are a different matter, I have three times been asked to pay money by them for trumped up traffic offences.

Edited by jesimps
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, chang farrang said:

My wife tells me it basically means they want a gift, or in other words money.

Thoughts?

Maybe should say No problem, but then I may need to redo that survey and change it to officer has asked for a bribe - can I do it again first before paying?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, roo860 said:

First mistake, never wai to anyone.

I have to disagree with you, when I walk into the immigration office, they guys there always wai at me, so I either wai back at them, depending how much stuff is in my hands or I bend forward as if I am bowing.

To do nothing would be like someone putting their hand out to greet me and me not responding, I would find that to be rude wouldn't you. 

Do I wai to them if they dont' wai to me, no, why, because it's not part of my culture, but if they wai to me, I will respect the fact that they did and reply in the same way.

Do I like these guys, no, why, because as the poster said, they have tried it on the wife a few times to give a donation to the temple, 100 baht, which she gave, 1,500 baht to cover fuel costs for the very 1st extension, 3 hour round trip, 500 baht to LINE then photos that we forgot, the last one I didn't mind as it saved me a trip back, the donation to the Temple, ok, the 1,500 baht fuel costs, well if the government doesn't pay for their fuel which I doubt, ok, but were not that stupid, or are we for paying it.

At the end of the day, corruption is part of their culture, that urks me, but the wai, piece of cake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure it's not the wife after the money? 

Do not give the guy money.  

Say you want a photo taken with him as you shake his hand and hand over the 'tip' as you are so pleased with the service.... I bet he will decline.  Next learn some Thai language so you can really understand what he is saying next time.. 

I dont know how anyone can live with someone and marry them yet not be able to speak at least their partners basic language.  

I am not saying this is the case for the OP  but many times I have heard a farangs Thai wife telling lies to their husband about charges, money etc from builders, service people and shops etc so they can get some extra cash.  I feel worse for the people the women are blaming as the faeang gets angry and the people feel uncomfortable with the situation.   Being dependant, reliant and trusting someone you can't even speak the same language is really dumb.  

WOW always suspected but had no confirmation before...something similar happened to a (rather tight fisted but nice ) friend who bought a bike, then a car based on TGF' recommendations. Both vehicles turned out to be duds. Then he bought land and  built a house again with gf recommend estate agent and cheap builders ???????????????? sorry for the TF! #TIL

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure it's not the wife after the money? 

Do not give the guy money.  

Say you want a photo taken with him as you shake his hand and hand over the 'tip' as you are so pleased with the service.... I bet he will decline.  Next learn some Thai language so you can really understand what he is saying next time.. 

I dont know how anyone can live with someone and marry them yet not be able to speak at least their partners basic language.  

I am not saying this is the case for the OP  but many times I have heard a farangs Thai wife telling lies to their husband about charges, money etc from builders, service people and shops etc so they can get some extra cash.  I feel worse for the people the women are blaming as the faeang gets angry and the people feel uncomfortable with the situation.   Being dependant, reliant and trusting someone you can't even speak the same language is really dumb.  

You might be. right not defending him but did you comprehend what he wrote particularly the part the wife was " called over" which assumed he was not invited. 

12 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm guessing that your choice of words, "quick service" may be the reason, perhaps that was misinterpreted? Which Immi office was this, where? When I lived in Phuket at least on Immi officer there was pretty blatant about what he wanted, he had pieces of paper in the center draw of his desk with different amounts written on them. He would never actually say anything but from time to time a slip of paper would appear with the number 500 written on it.

I wish the Teachers Council would employ this for giving out teaching licenses, haha

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

If you're content to feed corruption, and make it more difficult for the applicants following, then there's probably no drama.

I'm content with life in general - Corruption was here long before any of us arrived & i suspect it will still be here long after many of us have gone - It could be argued that corruption actually makes it easier for any applicants following to stay here longer.

I don't give it much thought really  as I'm a kind of live & let live type of guy - This is not my country so i just play by their rules - No drama.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:33 PM, stubuzz said:

Ask for their name and account number and tell them you will transfer the money online.

We find asking for an offical receipt works well.........

one time a lady staff member loudly said after I asked this "we serve you!!!!!"  (I of course translated this to

"you should not buck the system!)

Edited by Seeall
spelling mistake corrected for the anal retentive

On 12/28/2022 at 9:17 AM, jesimps said:

15 years living here, never been asked for money by Jomtien Immigration. The BIB are a different matter, I have three times been asked to pay money by them for trumped up traffic offences.

What type of Extension do you get? I heard it happens more at another desk!

On 12/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, BangkokHank said:

Of course the officer asked for the "facilitating payment" AFTER you completed the survey saying that you were not asked for a bribe. Then if you complain later, they can say, "But you said you were not asked for a bribe!"

Something similar happened to me on a boat tour in Vietnam once. The boat rowers were known to really pester tourists for a "tip" at the end of the tour, which put a lot of tourists off. So just before the end of the tour, the rowers handed out a questionnaire that was essentially the same as the one you mentioned, asking if the rower had asked you for a tip. After saying no, the rower hinted, "Since I didn't ASK you for a tip, would you consider giving one voluntarily?" So I think the whole purpose of those questionnaires is to get a tip anyway - while making it seem like it was your choice to give the tip.

A diabolical and clever plan indeed.......

On 12/28/2022 at 12:33 PM, Old Croc said:

No country on the planet is free from government corruption of some kind. None! 

I prefer the Thailand version to my home country. Thailand has low or non-existent taxes and the occasional small gratuities paid direct to the service provider to grease the wheels, is in direct contrast to the massive fees, duties and fines levied back home which has no effect on the lengthy waiting times for nearly everything. 

Where to draw the line though, do you think the head of national parks just arrested for stealing a claimed 20 million a month is OK as well because the country has low taxes etc?