New Zealander Dies In Fall From Kanchanaburi Train

webfact

image.jpeg

The spot where the New Zealand tourist plunged to the ground and his body being taken to the hospital. Photo: Naewna

by TNR Staff

A TOURIST from New Zealand slipped and fell from the train that had slowed down for passengers to take photos at Kanchanaburi’s Krasae Cave which was the camp of POWs in World War II, Naewna newspaper said Tuesday (Dec. 27).

At 12.10 p.m. Pol. Lt. Col. Kiattisak Kerdchok, an investigator at Sai Yok police station, was notified of a foreigner having died after falling off a train at Krasae Cave in Lum Sum subdistrict and quickly went there together with Pitakarn Kanchanaburi Foundation rescuers.

At the scene they found Mr. Patrick Ward, 45, lying on the ground after plunging seven to eight metres from the train. His body was taken to Sai Yok Hospital for an autopsy with the New Zealand embassy too contacted.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/27/new-zealander-dies-in-fall-from-kanchanaburi-train/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ is IMO a nanny state. He may not have realised that Thailand is not.

Or you could read the linked news item:

The New Zealander had then opened the train door to snap some good shots of the  scenery but in doing so somehow slipped and fell to the ground.

• Haha 1

It's pretty crazy how all these tourist opportunities become super dangerous.   Jungle wire stuff....people die.   Falling off elephants, taking pictures and dying, overnight buses and you die.....

I remember a zillion years ago I did some tourist thing and was actually afraid for a few minutes.   I kept my cool, but told myself, "Listen you moron, getting hurt in Thailand is the same as getting hurt back home, it will hurt!!! It's not like being dumb in Thailand means it will hurt less!!!"    never did any of that stuff again.   yea, in the jungle with a group of foreigners and a "guide".    

wow, pictures, and you get carried away, you want the best shot.......and then this.   tragic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clarification, since posters here so obsessed with nationality...

Patrick Ward was an Irish national who had been born in New Zealand, traveling on a Tourist Visa.

Irish man dies after falling from train in Thailand

An Irish national has died after falling from a train in Thailand along what is known as the “death railway”.

spacer.png

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said they were aware of the incident and are ready to provide counsellor assistance if needed.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quote from the linked article.

The New Zealander had then opened the train door to snap some good shots of the  scenery but in doing so somehow slipped and fell to the ground.

So not the fault of Thai railways then.

I did this trip with over a 100 tour groups on roundtrip Thailand.. 

Doors are always open, and people sometimes hang out from doors to take the perfect pictures...

Sure when wet, stamding on the stairs  is tricky...And with one hand on the camera..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

"Listen you moron, getting hurt in Thailand is the same as getting hurt back home

that is all well and good thinking provided it is something were you have control, unfortunatly that is not always the case in Thailand, safety standards exist but are not managed - you are more likely to be involved in a life threatening incident in Thailand than pretty much anywhere in the world through no fault of your own except assuming something is safe when in fact it isn't

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ is IMO a nanny state. He may not have realised that Thailand is not.

Maybe you could tell that to the relatives of the now deceased Sir Edmond Hillary one of the greatest mountaineers of all time ( He along with Sherpa Tensing conquered Mt Everest in 1953) or perhaps to Dame Helen Clarke a former PM who was also a devotee of mountain climbing

Edited by Phuket Stan
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently he weighed approximately 200 kilogrammes which may have upset his balance if the train was rocking at all. In the videos shown on Thai TV it appeared to me he was falling backwards. He may have sat on the steps and held the rail with one hand. 

Whatever, a sad way to go at only early middle age 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

At least the doors were shut, I have been on them where they were tied open.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, Aussieroaming said:

More likely that the door fell off of the busted a r s e d train and he fell out. Trains aren't exactly amongst Thailands finest transport options.

BS. I travelled on Thai trains and most journeys were perfectly fine. At least they have a proper public rail passenger system unlike NZ.

However I never hung out of an opened door to take a photo.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:53 AM, gomangosteen said:

Patrick Ward was an Irish national who had been born in New Zealand, traveling on a Tourist Visa.

An Irish national has died after falling from a train in Thailand along what is known as the “death railway”.

spacer.png

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said they were aware of the incident and are ready to provide counsellor assistance if needed.

Oh yea ,counsellor assistance will  revive the poor dead .

On 12/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, gomangosteen said:

spacer.png

Oh so he was drunk and in a fistfight then.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

It is comforting to see things slowly getting back to normal.

That ain't right man ... me getting a chuckle is just as bad.

Apologies to any family & friends seeing my reaction.

• 9 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 6:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Thai always blame foreigner. ????

• Confused 2

On 12/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, KhunLA said:

Ouch ... bad bounce, as only  7 or 8 meters and 45 yrs old.

Reckon he hit the piling holding the trestle up ... bummer

R I P

Hit his head. 8m is stuff all to die. Broken ribs and leg more likely.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, smedly said:

that is all well and good thinking provided it is something were you have control, unfortunatly that is not always the case in Thailand, safety standards exist but are not managed - you are more likely to be involved in a life threatening incident in Thailand than pretty much anywhere in the world through no fault of your own except assuming something is safe when in fact it isn't

Oh utter rubbish.. after travelling to over 75 countries in my lifetime, there are life threatening incidents everywhere. You must take responsibility for your own safety in whatever country you are in. Stupid pointing the finger at Thailand.

On 12/28/2022 at 3:47 AM, Salerno said:

Yeah, I love all the fences and warning signs nowadays, I rember one fatality on the news about one of your frozen waterfalls I believe it was. I've got a picture from the early '90s sitting on the edge of a jutting out rock over a 100 m or so vertical drop in Oz (crapping myself but hiding it well, at least I hope I was 555) it's now got warning signs and fenced off (been a few deaths). If I'd have fallen that would have been down to my own stupidity, not the fault of the Government. Same deal here IMO. If he'd just leaned against the door and it flew open then fingers could possibly be pointed.

As I recall the doors on Thai carriages ( locomotive hauled stock) open inwards. Mind you, I wouldn't lean on them!