Stupid me! I lent a lot of money to a Thai woman.

gingerandtabby

4 hours ago, gingerandtabby said:

She was a "friend" and I wanted to help her start a business I believed in. That was over a year ago. Now I get lie after lie and not "friends" anymore.

I would assume from the lack of any detail provided that you don't have anything in writing.  No contract, no agreement to pay back anything ever, no proof of any sort of loan?  I suspect you have nothing more than an entry in your passbook showing a funds transfer, or perhaps only a large cash withdrawal.

In that case, you're probably out of luck. 

38 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm not commenting again until I found how how much money???????    " a lot" of money should be at a very, very minimum of 300,000 and it is almost 2023 so I'll bump it up to 500,000.   

OP mentioned earlier in the thread that it's in this ball park:

"They would probably fall down laughing at my measly (not to me) amount of a few hundred thousand B." 

If you loan money and expect it to be returned, it needs to be documented properly. I've seen pre-printed loan agreements in Thai stationary stores. When loaning money, be sure to  follow the 4C rules, especially collateral. If you have no document(s), then you might have to hire a professional muscular "collector".

4 hours ago, gingerandtabby said:

wanted to help her start a business

What evidence do you have that you passed money to her?

What evidence that you loaned it?

How much in assets or income does she have?

Perhaps think about:

Did she start the business?

Did you pay her the loan through a bank or with cash?

Friendly tip thais lend small amounts to each other maybe 1000 baht to 100,plus alot more.My thai friend did that with a thai male friend,she said 50k  never talk now  or will get it back.They are good to borrow but never pay it back.If i know them a long time  they ask can I borrow some money I say I can give 100 baht or 50 have no money,they will say cheap charlie to you or among their friends.I don,t care  what they say after and I know I will not lose my shirt if I give 100 baht to them.Just be careful and you will never receive a penny back from her

Edited by bristolgeoff
  • Thanks 1

I suppose you don't have much experience of Asia like me 12 years ago with my first trip to Asia in the Philippines, a beautiful girl that I wanted to help for her very profitable business, lost 100,000 B. but it was an expensive but interesting experience for the continuation in Thailand.

Everything is paid sooner or later, the important thing is to learn from the experiences lived and not repeat the same mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can you not read, revenge is bitter sweet.

Revenge is a destructive obsession that resolves nothing for neither party.

If you want revenge, get some popcorn sit back and watch a Hong Kong or Korean crime flick.

Edited by novacova

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I see nothing wrong with building one's wife a house and buying her a car after they have been together for at least a few years and that the outlay to build the house and buy the car is no more than 10% of one's worth.

Hit it right on the head!!

What is never mentioned in these threads is the % of your outlay - - if you are spending 90% as some of these blokes do, then I could imagine you might feel deceived... funny thing is that most of these guys lost more money to a wife in their homeland, but Thai ladies... ooo-ha!

I have given a lot by most standards, but never enough that I couldn't walk away w/o regrets or personal consequences. Things change during 20+ years of marriage and I was never one to think they wouldn't. My wife is a nice lady and I would always want her to be well cared for... that has been a constant.... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, novacova said:

Revenge is a destructive obsession that resolves nothing for neither party.

If you want revenge, get some popcorn sit back and watch a Hong Kong or Korean crime flick.

Some of us prefer to laydown when they have been f'd over, well that is up to you.

Hong Kong or Korean crime flick, nah, prefer Scorsese's crime movies actually.

4 hours ago, worldexpress said:

I have a gal 

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

I'm a little older and she is a little younger married since 2001, bought the land, built the house etc, also no complaints from another lucky guy.

Younger. 65 and married 15 years. Still best of friends and true soul mates. Actually been together 20 years. No complaints. 2nd time lucky.

• Like 2

I sometimes lend small amounts to bargirls, getting repaid via services rendered. A couple disappeared from Pattaya, taking not just my money, but small amounts from everyone they knew. 

Bargirls are very bad at cash management, so at the end of the month, they often find themselves with no money for rent, let alone sending money home. 

Where does the money go? Many like to play numbers on their phone, and many have expensive Thai boyfriends. 

• Love It 1

It’s gone! I’ve had a Thai friend want a sizeable sum for a venture too, I refused, she got the money from someone else, and you guessed it, 100% was instantly history! A German friend of mine sent his long term thai girlfriend money for a house. She continued to say she was doing house repairs so hadn’t moved in yet, thinking she would get more money. My friend arrived in Thailand. The girlfriend, said she would take him to the house after they had a holiday and did some travelling. Long story short, the truth came out, it had to, there was no house, she pocketed all the money! As people have said, if you can’t afford to lose the money, then do not lend it to anyone, especially a Thai woman! Once it’s given, it’s a gift! No paper trail, or contract, then no money back! But yes, good luck. 

On 12/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, visarunner said:
On 12/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, gingerandtabby said:

Looked up Tilleke and Gibbons. They would probably fall down laughing at my measly (not to me) amount of a few hundred thousand B.

Agree, they handle other accounts.

"Handle other accounts", what does that mean?  T&G will take any type of case.

28 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage. 

Section 653. Loan exceeding 2000 baht must be written

A loan of money for a sum exceeding two thousand baht in capital is not enforceable by action unless there be some written evidence of the loan signed by the borrower.

All that means is loans exceeding B2000 must be evidenced in order for any enforceable action to be taken.  It does not mean that anyone lending money, to a friend, for example, has to be licenced!

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It does not mean that anyone lending money, to a friend, for example, has to be licenced!

When I got stung, about 13-14 years ago, I went to see a lawyer. Due to time and my age plus my missus translation it is what I remember of the time.