Trump Appears To Float Third-Party Threat If GOP Won't Back Him

Scott

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't believe that's true. MAGA candidates fared much worse than other Republican candidates in the mid terms,

They fared worse against Democrats. But they got nominated. It's Republican politicos who are mourning the choices made. Is the base? The 2 most popular Republican candidates for President are Desantis and Trump.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So let’s quit with the pretense that the GOP aren’t praying for the DOJ to take Trump out of the equation.

So much easier than facing the fact that this is a mess of their own making.

So if they get rid of him they are still stuck with his buttock-polishers in Congress who, as part of the purge, will be told to shut up and sit on their thumbs. 

With six months to hat-in-the-ring time and an entire year till the first primaries we have absolutely no way to gauge what that party will look like a year from now. 

Flynn: he's been traveling the country cooking up some kind of god & country doctrine, I think wherever DT goes he'll attach to that.  If somehow DT is out of the picture all together I see Flynn and Pompeo teaming up.

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't believe that's true. MAGA candidates fared much worse than other Republican candidates in the mid terms,

But they don't get nominated by the entire electorate. So what's relevant is the primary vote, not the general elections. And who are the 2 front-runners now for the nomination? It's enough to make Republican politicos gnash their teeth.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They fared worse against Democrats. But they got nominated. It's Republican politicos who are mourning the choices made. Is the base? The 2 most popular Republican candidates for President are Desantis and Trump.

DeSantis isn't a candidate yet. Ye is, I wonder how that's going for the MAGA mob?

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

spineless coward republicans ....Two chances to get rid of him via impeachment and another by standing up after Jan 6....almost all repubs except a handful were terrified of the monster they helped create ...bit late to try and grow a spine now...too bad, so sad.

assuming trump is not in jail he will run a revenge campaign to absolutely insure that repubs can nt and will not win.......he never ever cared a whit for either party as it was and always has been all about him ,...he is indeed one of the best conmen ever to live and maga and the thugs bought the bs hook line and sinker....,,if he is able to brag that he and he alone brought down the republican party he will revel in the destruction of the wimps.......plus of course he wants to keep that maga money rolling in...

if repubs had a brain they would support the jan 6 committee and the doj and demand that donnie boy not be allowed to skate....instead they want to investigate hunter biden...stupid is as stupid does.

There’s a problem.

A number of prominent Republicans are mixed up in the J6 insurrection and the broader attempted coup.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s a problem.

A number of prominent Republicans are mixed up in the J6 insurrection and the broader attempted coup.

True dat.  And donnie will try and dangle pardons for the entire sorid bunch if only they will let him be potus again.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But they don't get nominated by the entire electorate. So what's relevant is the primary vote, not the general elections. And who are the 2 front-runners now for the nomination? It's enough to make Republican politicos gnash their teeth.

Or the MAGA ones gnash their tooth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My biggest fear with regard to '24 is that he will split the vote an allow a Democrat to win the White House.

Hopefully his children will persuade him to let it go. I doubt anyone else can.

There won't be anything left of the Republicans when trump is through with them..

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that anybody can persuade him to let it go.

IMHO he is like a person seeking the holy grail, (or in his case the Presidency of the USA) and he will not be happy or satisfied until he gets his hands on it.

He is willing to sacrifice any thing or anyone to get it, and the thing that frightens me the most, is that he truly believes it, even to the extent of destroying the USA to get it.

Trump has already let it go. The only reason he declared his hand is the faint hope that it will protect him from prosecution. He hasn't held any rallies. His plane is likely grounded, he can't afford to maintain it. He knows what's coming down the line for him and he knows his endorsements mostly all lost in the mid terms. There is no shortage of commentators blaming him for the mid term red tide failure. Trump is toast. He just wants to blow everything up now. Actually, he always did. The Russian collusion thing isn't over either and most Americans fault him for holding Ukraine to ransom for weapons over dirt Hunter Biden. Trump is toast.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The Russian collusion thing isn't over either and most Americans fault him for holding Ukraine to ransom for weapons over dirt Hunter Biden.

That whole piece of history involving the 2016 election, foreign involvement, Assange, the Mueller Report etc needs to be reviewed. 

For a glimpse of how much things have changed since then, when during a debate Hillary called him "Putin's puppet" and he made the schoolyard response "you're the puppet" she backed off, I suspect she didn't want to attack because it would make her look mean.  Well, that's changed, the non-rabid media people have gotten tough.  Even heart-on-the-sleeve candy-ess types like Chris Hayes have stepped up.  Dana Bash's first on-air words after the first Biden-DT debate was "that was a sh_t show."  Oh those Jersey girls!

My guess is DT's two AGs (Sessions and Barr) have damaged the rep of the DOJ and there are internal machinations to clean up the mess. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Agree.  The GOP can't win with Trump, and they can't win without him.  If the Republicans support Trump for 2024, they'll lose because Trump cannot win a general election.  If they support someone else, Trump will take his base elsewhere.  The ONLY solution for these spineless Republicans is for Trump to be indicted/convicted.  Then they'll attack the Dems for politicizing the DOJ and Trump's idiot base will love them for it.  It's their only way out.

You got it. 

The repubs who have publicly whined and moaned about how unfair the  biased witch hunt of jan 6 committee was to dear leader sat and watched republican after republican testify under oath as to what a shxxshow the events around Jan 6 truly were.  It took a 26 y.o. lifelong republican gal named cassidy hutchinson to demonstrate what it is like to have the gonads to simply tell what she saw and heard under oath to open the floodgates.  Meantime the republican leadership mostly sat on their hands and acted like they didn't have time to watch the hearings or that it was all a big dem witch hunt and insist that hunter Biden's laptop is more important than an attempted coup.

Now the republicans only hope is that DOJ will indict and a jury will convict trump and remove him from running as a 3rd party grifter and guarantee the dems will win big time.  But for sure no matter what may happen the republicans will blame dems for what they themselves could have stopped if they had the gonads of a 26 y.o. gal. 

Of course as someone already said there are several republicans who were active participants in the attempted coup who should also be indicted and convicted so maybe they are clinging to some obscure hope that dear leader will win POTUS again and then pardon them and all those "fine patriots" who stormed the capitol.

Maybe doj will drag out the indictments long enough to let trump run third party and destroy what is left of the pre donnie republican party that once upon a time actually had a platform and some policies. 

Desantis is likely the biggest cheerleader of all that DOJ will move quickly to indict and convict   trump so he can assume the minnie me roll of a new dear leader.  But will the MAGA bunch take to the streets to riot if/when trump goes to jail?  Or will they throw their former messiah under the bus and jump into the new Desantis clown car? 

It would only take a small % of MAGA to refuse to vote for Desantis to absolutely insure a dem win and my bet is that there are enough hard core kool aide drinkers who will never vote for anyone but trump.  They have refused from day one to accept that their emperor had no clothes and it is doubtful that they will ever be able to admit they got conned by one of the best con men ever to live.

We shall see.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Strange, you have always claimed to support Trump because Hillary was bad. That has changed to anything Democratic is bad 

That was then, not now. He's too old, he has too much baggage, and the obstruction by the opposition will just be worse, so not enough will get done to fix the country and after 4 years of Biden it really will need fixing, IMO.

I'd like to say that not anything Democratic is bad- they did have Kennedy at least, but after 2 years of Democrat control of all 3 elements of government, I can't think of anything good they've done other than would also have been good under the GOP. However, I can think of a lot of bad that they have done.

BTW, I'm really really really happy that she didn't win. He was worth it just for that alone.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was then, not now. He's too old, he has too much baggage, and the obstruction by the opposition will just be worse, so not enough will get done to fix the country and after 4 years of Biden it really will need fixing, IMO.

I'd like to say that not anything Democratic is bad- they did have Kennedy at least, but after 2 years of Democrat control of all 3 elements of government, I can't think of anything good they've done other than would also have been good under the GOP. However, I can think of a lot of bad that they have done.

BTW, I'm really really really happy that she didn't win. He was worth it just for that alone.

So what is so bad that Biden has done?

IMO Trump miscalculated the timing of his election participation announcement. Now that he has throw his hat in, he can’t withdraw as it will be seen as concession which is political poison to his base.

His base has declined considerable but still a considerable asset to any nominee hopeful like Desantis. The drop in support for Trump will unlikely to guarantee party nomination. He knows it and thus resort to his usual threats and bullying. Don’t think he will get his way with the party and he can’t back off his election participation innuendo even behind bars as a third party candidate. Disqualifying him as candidate will give him some saving grace for his shrinking base 

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/15/trump-republican-favorability-polls

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

IMO Trump miscalculated the timing of his election participation announcement. Now that he has throw his hat in, he can’t withdraw as it will be seen as concession which is political poison to his base.

His base has declined considerable but still a considerable asset to any nominee hopeful like Desantis. The drop in support for Trump will unlikely to guarantee party nomination. He knows it and thus resort to his usual threats and bullying. Don’t think he will get his way with the party and he can’t back off his election participation innuendo even behind bars as a third party candidate. Disqualifying him as candidate will give him some saving grace for his shrinking base 

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/15/trump-republican-favorability-polls

I don't believe his nomination had much to do with getting re-elected anyway.