Is it time for you to face reality and LEAVE ?

Social Media

After 40 years in Thailand I have no intention to return permanently to the UK. Things there are not great just now with problems in the health service, the police, the civil service, and national a local governments. and costs are going through the roof. Here in Thailand I have a caring family and good medical attention. No reason for me to leave.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

What always intrigues me are those that protest too much about any perceived criticism 

To quote George Smiley. "The zealot is always harboring a secret doubt"

Exactly ????

Can't say the slightest thing bad about Thailand with some of these guys on here.

I guess they are in denial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

This is Stroh 80 which is 80 proof rum, oddly enough made in Austria.

If I could get it in Thailand I would much prefer "Pusser's" rum as issued to the Royal Navy before "Black Tot Day" (31 July 1970)

"Black Tot Day" (31 July 1970) was the last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot).

We used to get it sometimes in the RAF in extremely cold weather. 1 bottle in a 5 gallon urn of cocoa.

https://pussersrum.com/

Naval rum always tastes a bit like a bandaid to me (or plaster, since you're English). In a good way.

Stroh is like butterscotch in a glass. I prefer the overproof version. In Amsterdam, Stroh is used to make pot brownies a lot.

Just bought a high end Thai rum at Rimping. Like a Nicaraugan Flora de Cana 7 year old one, so a reasonable deal at 960 baht.. Havana Club 7 year old dark for 1100 baht is my splurge (but they were out).

7 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Naval rum always tastes a bit like a bandaid to me (or plaster, since you're English). In a good way.

Stroh is like butterscotch in a glass. I prefer the overproof version. In Amsterdam, Stroh is used to make pot brownies a lot.

Just bought a high end Thai rum at Rimping. Like a Nicaraugan Flora de Cana 7 year old one, so a reasonable deal at 960 baht.. Havana Club 7 year old dark for 1100 baht is my splurge (but they were out).

However I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet which is about 400km from Rim Ping which makes buying a bottle of rum a bit expensive.

• Like 1

Mekong aint bad either. Just put in a lot of lime.

Maybe with a float of coconut water from 7/11. In New York, where Santip is a premium pour, that's a $20 cocktail.

Phraya is the 960 baht Thai rum I bought ("aged in oak barrels").  Verdict: Bacardi does a 4 year old rum for the same price that's better. A very drinkable novelty one and done for me.

Rum doesn't do much better past 4-7 years, and evaporates a "devil's share" of 5% a year. So be very skeptical about 20 year old rum.

Edited by LaosLover

7 hours ago, Walker88 said:

but everything in moderation, and with eyes wide open.

But that can be a problem. Nocturnal lagophthalmos is the inability to close the eyelids during sleep. * I sleep with my eyes half opened. Can sometimes really spook someone who thinks I am dead if not fore warned.

*  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16671223/

I've just read that the Baht is destined to be Asia's second best performing currency this year, behind SGD, Looking at the rates a moment ago, against GBP it's 40.71 and against USD it's 34.27. It might just be that the strength of the Baht is the thing that makes some people reconsider where they will live, sad but true.

18 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I've just read that the Baht is destined to be Asia's second best performing currency this year, behind SGD, Looking at the rates a moment ago, against GBP it's 40.71 and against USD it's 34.27. It might just be that the strength of the Baht is the thing that makes some people reconsider where they will live, sad but true.

Nothing new there it was several years ago as well.

This from today.

The baht is set to be powered by an influx in Chinese tourists after Beijing rescinded most of its Covid controls over the past month, paving the way for a recovery in outbound travel. China is also Thailand’s biggest export market so the efforts by the world’s second-largest economy to bolster growth should help too.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3205364/singapore-dollar-goes-toe-toe-thai-baht-tussle-be-best-regional-currency

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

House mortgage repayments Thailand = 9kbht.

Room rental in UK = 600gbp.

The pound would need to drop below 10bht = 1gbp before it would be too expensive for me to live in Thailand. 

My plan has always been , retire at 55 with early company pensions and annuities, rent out my house to make up the immigration demands and stay with family for another 8-9 years until my UK pension hits. At 67 I'll more than likely bring the family to the UK since i'll be able to meet the financial requirements for immigration with pensions kicking in and house sale (My house is daft expensive in the south for 2 bed old council, can put £50,000 in the bank and get 4-5 bed up north). I do not want to spend the last years of my life here. I really do not like Thailand compared to the seasonal UK and hopefully NHS care at the end will be better - and free.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:58 PM, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, most of us don't have lives so dull we have to hang out in another countries forum.

When I left the UK, I stopped posting in UK forums.

But he like I still have homes & family in Thailand

Which is why we check in & post

Plus I believe he like I spend a quarter of the year

(most years not counting covid) in Thailand anyway so did we leave?

Having lives & homes in more than one country is far from dull ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, BritManToo said:

House mortgage repayments Thailand = 9kbht.

Room rental in UK = 600gbp.

The pound would need to drop below 10bht = 1gbp before it would be too expensive for me to live in Thailand. 

That depends where you compare...

Mortgage in Bangkok  80k Baht per month

House Rental in UK (countryside town) £1200 per month (about 50k Baht)

I know thats not quite comparing apples and oranges - its comparing where I live in BKK vs where I would live in the UK - the difference is the bigger Tax hit in the UK (when still working).

On 1/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, ozimoron said:

Suggestions as to where a single man in late 60's would enjoy? I'm not fixated on girls and don't want to have a girlfriend but complete celibacy would be a problem. I'm very much a homebody and not much of a drinker. I'd like to rent a car for a month and travel all over.

Costa Rica, Columbia, maybe even Panama and Mexico. Forbes claims all of these countries have a lower cost of living compared to Thailand and there are lots of friendly ladies, in certain cities, in all of these countries. The Thai ladies are slimmer than most latin women.

Cuba also has lots of available ladies to entertain you.

Edited by Banana7

19 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Costa Rica, Columbia, maybe even Panama and Mexico. Forbes claims all of these countries have a lower cost of living compared to Thailand and there are lots of friendly ladies, in certain cities, in all of these countries. The Thai ladies are slimmer than most latin women.

lol, I meant in Thailand

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Do they have ladyboys in those Countries ?