Tips appreciated on pitfalls to buying a used car in Thailand

JTXR

Of course buying a used car can always be potentially difficult and risky, even in one's own country.   But I don't speak Thai very well and don't really know a trusted garage I can take a potential buy to before purchase (which is what I do in the U.S.).  Any tips from those with experience on how best to avoid getting ripped off?  I'm in Bangkok, if that matters.  Thanks.

Taking the car to the manufacturer dealership/authorized garage for mechanical inspection is one way to make sure you know what you're buying, might cost you a B.1,000 or so but it's worth it in the end...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Taking the car to the manufacturer dealership/authorized garage for mechanical inspection is one way to make sure you know what you're buying, might cost you a B.1,000 or so but it's worth it in the end...

That's what I do in the U.S.  Will a used car dealer in Thailand agree to this?

Thais avoid used cars if that means anything.  You are in Bangkok I guess you need it for travel?

I would consider renting or a long term lease.  There are several places in Bangkok that have reliable cars (new and used) that rent for long terms that include first clas insurance and repairs, 24 hour road service, etc.  

Tips:

If you can avoid buying used, do so, it's very high risk here, lease or buying new is much safer and cheaper. But if you must buy used:

Have the car inspected by a reputable agency/dealer etc, not just any old dealer, ask around for referrals.

Look at driver seat material wear and brake pedal rubber wear to see if they match the age/mileage of the vehicle.

Ask to see the blue book/log book to confirm the age of the vehicle, the VIN and the number of owners...if no book or can't see, walk away.

Tires all carry date stamps of manufacturer, check, make sure all under 4 years old.

Stand at front of car and kneel down. look down the sides of the car SLOWLY for ripples indicating repair...take your time and repeat from front and back, both sides, several times with different light.

When the engine is cold: check the exhaust when the vehicle first starts, blue smoke is oil, white smoke is water, both to be avoided.

Dip the engine oil and feel the consistency, often an additive has been mixed wit the oil to quieten engine noise, you'll know it when you touch it.

Lift the carpets/covering in the truck/boot, both sides and the bottom, you want to see metal....look for damage uneven/repaired surfaces.

Does the drivers door close easily, without much pressure? Repaired bodies usually show up in poor door closure.

Do the digits in the odometer line up perfectly or are some wonky, clocked cars odometers will be wonky.

When you drive it, is the steering wheel straight or does it tilt left or right, and/or, does it pull left or right....indicative of steering/alignment frame issues if not.

If I think of any more, I'll call you. :))

• Like 1

Renting a car is the best option here. It gives more flexibility and less hassle maintaining, registering, insuring.

But if you want to buy, I would recommend buying a new car as used cars are expensive.

For example I paid 724,000 baht for a honda jazz and sold it 8 years later for 450,000 baht to a Bangkok car dealer.  He promptly posted it on his web site for 579,000 baht.

Some of my friends have purchased el cheapo used cars for 50,000 baht and sold them years later for about the same.  Luckily mechanics kept them running on a shoestring budget.  But not very nice.

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Do the digits in the odometer line up perfectly or are some wonky, clocked cars odometers will be wonky.

Mostly digital these days

But very good professional advice, thanks.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

I have bought a bunch of used vehicles over here,no problems what soever.

Here is how to make sure what you get.

Ask for the service book,if they have you can call that dealer to check if the mileage is correct.No book, no buy.

That of course does depends a bit on the age of the car,a car a few years old should have an updated service book.

Many cars have had some sort of accident but most are just fender benders.

There are also several face book pages where a lot of foreigners are trying to sell used vehicles,easier for the language barrier but there are some bad apples every where.

44 minutes ago, connda said:

Buy a new car.  Suzuki Celerio.  About $10K USD.  Gets you from point A to point B.

I wanted one, but the wife said too small, and she was right. We like trips from Issan to BKK and it'd be cramped with family. Stepped up to the Swift, but didn't have $18k USD in cash laying around, so financed for 20k baht down, under 8k a month. 2 years now, perfect car.

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Pull the other one! Next you'll be telling me they done away with choke cables and points, I'm not daft you know.

Starting handles and front bench seats, with a three gear column shift. 555

• Haha 1

Bought three cars from tents. All the sellers were honest and helpful and had no serious problems with the cars. 

Before buying I always talk to the seller. I have left some tents because it was clear that the seller was obviously shining it on.

Never had a dealer quote me a special foreigner price but I suppose it might happen if you can't speak Thai and look like you just got off the banana boat.

Before buying did a lot of research using one2car etc to get a ball park figure of the correct price for the year. Then penned in 6 or 7 cars and spent a day looking at each one. Went for the best of the bunch.

If you are worried the dealer might charge you more than a Thai just download the cars profile from one2car which gives the asking price so no need to ask how much.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

Why do people think buying things in TH is so different than buying same in home country.   Do your research, buy from reputable seller, or as suggested for vehicles, real 'certified sellers'.

If you've had good luck in the past and outside TH, then you'll be fine.  If you've bought a bunch of lemons in the past, you'll probably just repeat the same here.  Then buy an inexpensive new vehicle within your budget.

Start at 338k baht for 'new' Suzuki Celerio & up.  Hard to beat that for knocking around the city, smaller, easy parking, and 20 kpL.

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/celerio?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36uHVCcuGLccRyjY6RjR09sqe2ubfUmBBUtXwOm3UgDY1-std4KNbBFgaApJGEALw_wcB

Edited by KhunLA

On 1/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, KhunLA said:

Why do people think buying things in TH is so different than buying same in home country.

Well, one thing for starters...

It sounds like the OP has purchased used in the past but is only familiar with his home country used car market where used cars are sold at just a fraction of new prices.

He's accustomed to the environment where a just sold new car automatically looses 20-30% of its book value the moment it's driven from the auto dealers lot.

It's a completely different market over here with highly inflated (in comparison) used car prices.

Edited by unheard

First I dont think buy used car in Thailand is 'pitfall', if lucky it could be value-cost charming like any developed coutry; of course language barrier is a problem. 

Some thing on my mind:

A. avoid cars from another province if wanna transfer register under your name; re-register plate to your TM30 address is un-neccessary hassle. 

Buy from local Thai is easiest; Buy from local foreigner is also easy and less lan. barrier; Buy from another province needs to transfer plate to your local DLT which is hassle, more hassle if owner's foreigner buy if owner's experienced willing to help is doable; Buy from other province, un-experienced foreign owner is a big no-no. 

-------------

B. At least inspect under-chassis, test drive extended distance. because in Thailand let alone language barrier, owner usually won't agree proper compression test( EXTREMELY IMPORTANT could saves tons of hassle, but difficult to convince owner with language barrier ), remove spark bore inspection, remove plastics to check rust etc. 

If owner is a car guy and took cared the car then perfect. But usually when buying an used car you should

B.1. adds up budget for engine rebuild( very cheap in asia );

B.2. and when bought though check gas tank / brake / hoses / wheel bearing / any wiring fault for safety;

B.3. some budget for renovation ( some usuals are sensory / suspension / clutch / distro etc. ). 

Then if the car is not f***ed beyond any salvation, should be performing just like a new car, performance-wise. 

-------------

C. Thailand new-car price are very expensive, the used-car market was agreeable for many types of classic cars, but covit-nonsense f***ed the market and used-price also rose up a lil. 

TorRorOr yearly MOT is agreeable friendly, or should I say relaxing, in Thailand. Very easy to keep a car road legal, most important just make sure lights and brakes are proper. Even change engine serial is easy with proper serial-register receipt.