Two Russian tourists robbed of thousands of dollars from same Pattaya hotel

webfact

Just now, pomchop said:

I believe but am not sure that Russians are unable to transfer $$ from Russian banks to Thai banks....if true then there will be a lot of Russians bringing in big piles of cash.  At one time they were also unable to use Russian credit cards outside Russia..all part of sanctions....again not sure that is still true.  And of course if the ruble goes tits up again it would sure be nice to have some gold bars or good ole US dollars stashed away.  I also doubt that Thai banks will allow the average Russian tourist to open a bank account....what kind of visa are the average Russians on if any?  So as word spreads that Ruskies may have big stacks of cash the thieves will take note.

Last week I had to enter a couple of banks in Central Phuket for some transactions, quite a few Russians attempting to open up accounts and failing due to the docs required. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"Natalina Chernova said that she had put US $16,000 in her safe"....... The RTP just stated last week that they were no longer going to divulge the nationality of people in criminal investigations and here they are giving the names as well.

I referred to the RTP as the Keystone Cops in the past. That was wrong of me.  The RTP is FAR more comical.

you got that wrong Husker. The RTP actually said they would not disclose the nationality of people being arrested and charged with criminal activities, not victims of criminal activities, but generally I do agree they are keystone cops.

4 hours ago, looplaw said:

Sounds like insurance scam. What thief would not take it all!

Thief could have hoped it would not be noticed for a short time... giving him/her time to escape to distance,,, often not too smart.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not strictly true... with a declaration and proof it was earned  in Russia more is possible.

And when and where has one been stopped by customs checking for cash brought in.

Can't remember a single report.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They didn't, they put the cash in "safes" for which, this century, almost none have keys.

Not sure about that.... many in hotels have a physical override key.. behind some cover.. and pretty much all those I see for sale in say Homepro seem to. Locked myself out of a few!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Seen it on that Oz Customs reality program... dogs that can smell money... like Thai women!

The Brit programs are better for the money issue, dogs picking them up in the departure area. Most of the Aussie ones seem to get caught at baggage checks on arrival.

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

what kind of visa are the average Russians on if any?

Probably Visa exempt, 30 days permission of stay, I believe. 

Apparently many are at immigration getting extensions these days.

Plus now they got the recent vaccination /  Covid stuff.

Edited by jacko45k

Never leave money in a hotel safe. It's just not safe and very hard (impossible) to prove your loss. Many staff have access to the room and know the overide combination to the safe - that's if the default has even been changed. The hotel workers will usually take a percentage of the cash but rarely ever the whole lot as it would immediately be noticed. I stayed at a hotel in Hua Hin a few years ago that had warnings on their reviews about money being taken from room safes. I set a test one day and locked the empty safe putting some items in front in a particular order. When I came back in the evening, the items were moved and the safe was actually left open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Never leave money in a hotel safe. It's just not safe and very hard (impossible) to prove your loss. Many staff have access to the room and know the overide combination to the safe - that's if the default has even been changed. The hotel workers will usually take a percentage of the cash but rarely ever the whole lot as it would immediately be noticed. I stayed at a hotel in Hua Hin a few years ago that had warnings on their reviews about money being taken from room safes. I set a test one day and locked the empty safe putting some items in front in a particular order. When I came back in the evening, the items were moved and the safe was actually left open. 

WOW !!!

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wouldn't the tourists need a local bank account for that and why "UnionPay", in particular?

They could use Russian bank accounts. Unionpay did not sanction Russia unlike Visa and Mastercard.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure about that.... many in hotels have a physical override key.. behind some cover.. and pretty much all those I see for sale in say Homepro seem to. Locked myself out of a few!

Of course they have a mechanical lock with a corresponding key.

What should happen it the batteries run empty which are (for good reason) inside the safe?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, looplaw said:

Sounds like insurance scam. What thief would not take it all!

Did you read this? Police are working on the assumption that it is an inside job noting the cleverness of the thief in not removing the tourists' whole cash pile in order to cover their tracks.

Exactly the same thing happened to me in Malaysia. Police refused to investigate, saying a local with a $100 bill would arouse suspicion.

47 minutes ago, fdsa said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wouldn't the tourists need a local bank account for that and why "UnionPay", in particular?

They could use Russian bank accounts.

I really don't understand your logic, they're in Thailand with the cash, why would they want to put the cash in their Russian accounts and how would they do it from here?  Do these tourists have UnionPay cards?

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I really don't understand your logic, they're in Thailand with the cash, why would they want to put the cash in their Russian accounts and how would they do it from here?  Do these tourists have UnionPay cards?

My logic is they should have kept their money in the bank and use cards instead of bringing piles of cash with them.