Top Thai virologist says if you’re healthy “you can ditch the face mask”

webfact

22 minutes ago, edogthong said:

That's not what we were told from the beginning. We were told that they were 97% effective in stopping the spread. We now know that they knowingly lied so I'd be very careful about thrusting proven liars.

That's what I was told, from the beginning!

• Like 1

I went back to the UK in September for the first time in three years. No restrictions at all on the flights or in the airports, and certainly none in the UK. I don't know what it is about the country, but everything seems much more crowded than it does in Thailand. Anyway, in spite of having had four jabs in total (2 AZ and 2 Pfizer boosters, the last one in August just a month before flying back), within a week I went down with a dose of Covid. It was like a bad cold but with no coughing or sneezing, just a fever for a week, and then it disappeared, but it left me with long Covid symptoms for 3 more weeks (brain fog, extreme tiredness and loss of appetite and sense of taste). Unfortunately, my brother is almost 7 years older than me and I gave it to him, and he's had the long Covid stuff for more than 3 months and is still trying to get over it.

Due to a pre-existing medical condition, I was on the NHS's list of critically at risk people, so in some ways I'm glad I got it as I know now that it won't kill me, thanks to the jabs I'm sure. Dr. Yong, of all people, should know better than to give this blinkered advice. The vaccines will usually stop you from falling seriously ill or dying, but they do not stop you from contracting the virus. This is not controversial and it's widely published. As I found with my brother, you need to consider others, not just yourself (unless you're a selfish, ignorant gobs hite, of course), and wearing a face mask in the presence of vulnerable people should still be recommended based on my own recent experience. I certainly still wear them, because it's a sign of respect for the Thai people working in shops and offices who wear them. Of course, if you have no respect for Thai people and their ways then don't bother, but then why not go and holiday in Ibiza or Aiya Napa instead, lol.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, proton said:

If masks are useless why do surgeons wear them?

Because where they carry out their duty is probably the most hazardous place that one can be in, other than possibly a war zone.

Please don't try and convince me that a hospital is a pathogen free environment.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mania said:

He has only come forward with this now to cover for Anutin greeting all the Chinese arrivals without a mask

You can be sure of that. He has received his orders just like A.....in not scaring the Chinese so they can come and fill up the government vaults with coins ????

Felt

5 hours ago, proton said:

Top virologist who is just an MD and professor of paediatrics at Chula, I will not be taking anything he says too seriously.

Yong Poovorawan is a professor of pediatrics at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. He is known for research in the fields of pediatric hepatology, viral hepatitis and virology, and avian influenza.

What are your qualifications Proton?

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

So ... if you've had Covid or some vax shots, you're now immune. But still need to wear a face mask indoors.

Keep up the good work Doc ...

NO! You have never been immune after the jags and you still pass it on if you have had the jag or top up jags! This was made public last year 10th October, 2022;   "Janine Small, president of international markets at Pfizer told the EU Parliament that Pfizer had never carried out any transmission tests after vaccine (the phrase "The Speed Of Science" was born) and turns out they never did which just goes to show never listen to politicians or media because that is where the narrative was pushed.  One just has to look at how many times Biden has had covid. My wife has had all the vax going before she had to stop working due to health (can't say what caused her health  deterioration) got covid after vax 4 and even though her symptoms were that of a cold I obviously got it after 2 vax (about 12 month prior) and my symptoms lasted minutes. Both my children had no symptoms and never vaxed.  

Edited by BritScot
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yong Poovorawan is a professor of pediatrics at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. He is known for research in the fields of pediatric hepatology, viral hepatitis and virology, and avian influenza.

What are yours, in this field.......      .:wai:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

That's in your opinion, the "Absolutely zero", but can you substantiate the "Absolutely zero"...........?   :cowboy:

While I haven't undertaken a house to house doorknock lately, people seem to die with or without masks and with or without C-19.

I doubt if there is accurate data on the masks anywhere.

So, no, I can not substantiate....only my opinion on a forum.

Very subjective stuff.????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Professor here means very little more than knowing the right people and saying the right things

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Only ever wore mask at 7-11 & Makro, when you couldn't get in without one.

Mask ... IMHO ... are totally useless at stopping a virus, in most situations.  

How could that be? N95s are perfectly able to filter viral particles. 

What is your expertise, if you have one, that might be relevant? 

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

From the link which obviously has blood and droplet secretions as the main benefit but also:

"Masks also protect the patient from contact with the surgeon’s respiratory secretions.

Masks are typically worn during surgery to prevent the spread of infection from the surgeon to the patient. Masks are also worn by surgeons to protect themselves from exposure to blood and other body fluids."

"Surgeons sometimes have allergies or get sick, too. If a surgeon has an illness like cold or flu, what could be a minor sickness could become something much worse when they’re in the operating room with their hands inside someone’s body."

"Surgeons and operating room personnel stand for hours during surgeries. As they open their mouths, droplets and microbes might fall on the patient lying on the operating table.

They might also infect the tools they use to make incisions and adjustments on the body they are treating."

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1