Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

21 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

"we suspect..."

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? About this article plus about climate alarmism in general.

The article DID also  add a couple of other, less than environmentally friendly, tidbits about our Greta's voyage. It generated a LOT of plastic waste from the estimated 200 prepackaged meals the crew of the yacht ate. Plus the carbon footprint of Ahnold's Tesla, which he generously lent her.   All in all, quite a climate catastrophe.

And it could simply have been avoided by staying home and doing the whole thing on Zoom. 

I link to a site that is heavily oil industry bias yet..................

LOL, so everything in the article is ok except for this snippet saying "we suspect" give me a break.

It concludes "While Greta’s carbon footprint isn’t as small as she’d like due to her extensive travels, her carbon footprint is likely smaller than most."

Zoom, wasn't even a big thing in 2019 before the pandemic, it only took off (tripled) in 2020. Besides which the conference was for attendees not Zoom meets.

However you'll note she has not attended subsequent ones. 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Online video calls .?

No need to travel anywhere to make a speech 

It's about impact and publicity. And, I daresay, if all Thunberg did was stay at home and communicate electronically, then she would be castigated for asking other people to make sacrifices that she wouldn't make herself.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Zoom, wasn't even a big thing in 2019 before the pandemic, it only took off (tripled) in 2020.  However you'll note she has not attended subsequent ones. 

There were facilities to do video calls in 2019 , video call facilities have been available for 20 odd years . 

BTW, Zoom was available in 2019 and was worth 1 Billion $ as the company  was formed in 2011 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

There were facilities to do video calls in 2019 , video call facilities have been available for 20 odd years . 

BTW, Zoom was available in 2019 and was worth 1 Billion $ as the company  was formed in 2011 

Was it updated for mass meetings in 2019?

image.png.2e5a56d3b8dc34055e767263d4ebf4b7.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1253972/zoom-daily-meeting-participants-global/

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's about impact and publicity. And, I daresay, if all Thunberg did was stay at home and communicate electronically, then she would be castigated for asking other people to make sacrifices that she wouldn't make herself.

Nearly everyone watched the footage on their screens , whether it be their televisions or computers and it wouldn't have made nay difference had the footage of her  been taken at her home . 

"I shouldn't have to be here .................................you stole my Childhood"

Stay at home and make a video call then sweetie  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Nearly everyone watched the footage on their screens , whether it be their televisions or computers and it wouldn't have made nay difference had the footage of her  been taken at her home . 

"I shouldn't have to be here .................................you stole my Childhood"

How does nearly everyone watching this event on their screens differ from any newsworthy event?

Edited by placeholder

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No , it became very popular in 2020 due to covid restrictions and lockdowns .

Video calls were widely used in 2019 , even Facebook had them in about 2010

Not one to many I think. And it doesn't have the impact that a live appearance does. Maybe that's the point of this argument.

Edited by ozimoron

No , it became very popular in 2020 due to covid restrictions and lockdowns .

Video calls were widely used in 2019 , even Facebook had them in about 2010

Exactly so my post stands "Zoom, wasn't even a big thing in 2019 before the pandemic, it only took off (tripled) in 2020." 

Facebook, how many participants in a video chat in 2019? How many were at the conference? Or were you only expecting Greta to do this via video and everyone else attend?

What exactly is your point?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly so my post stands "Zoom, wasn't even a big thing in 2019 before the pandemic, it only took off (tripled) in 2020." 

Facebook, how many participants in a video chat in 2019? How many were at the conference? Or were you only expecting Greta to do this via video and everyone else attend?

What exactly is your point?

Greta didn't need to attend the conference personally, she could have done the speech by video call , is my point .

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Greta didn't need to attend the conference personally, she could have done the speech by video call , is my point .

Why should she be discriminated against? She did what was intended.

Speaking as a climate change scientist who has been working on this issue for 20 years and saying the same thing for 20 years, she is getting people to listen, which we have failed to do,” said Saleemul Huq, director of the International Centre for Climate Change & Development in Bangladesh.

From her attendance at the Conference

Climate scientists say Greta Thunberg's efforts are building real momentum

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/climate-scientists-say-greta-thunberg-s-efforts-are-building-real-ncna1059321

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Why should she be discriminated against? She did what was intended.

She was one of the few people privileged to be able to speak and an international conference , she got a free boat ride across the ocean.................and you are talking about "discrimination" ?

Is she had led by example and made a video call, maybe everyone else would do the same at subsequent meetings ?

• Like 1

She was one of the few people privileged to be able to speak and an international conference , she got a free boat ride across the ocean.................and you are talking about "discrimination" ?

Is she had led by example and made a video call, maybe everyone else would do the same at subsequent meetings ?

The point of these meetings is to draw wider attention to problems. Video conferences don't make for compelling viewing.

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes I'm talking about discrimination:

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The results that I linked to prove  her attendance worked

Edited by Bkk Brian

It all looks the same when we are watching on our screens back home 

What looks the same? People physically gathered in one place to protest look the same as someone speaking via video to other people watching via video? Really? Maybe you're watching the news on a repurposed Pong screen?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What looks the same? People physically gathered in one place to protest look the same as someone speaking via video to other people watching via video? Really? Maybe you're watching the news on a repurposed Pong screen?

She could have given her speech from home online and it would have looked the same as when she was there . 

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh, nice patronising passive aggressive comment towards what was a child at that time. A child who travelled by yacht over 15 days through rough seas on a boat with no engine, no toilet, no cooking facilities, to avoid being a hypocrite. You think "sweetie" should have stayed at home and dialed in. Righty Ho. What about the 200-300-500 (?) delegates who traveled to this climate action summit mostly by private jet, stayed in 5-star hotels eating imported food (imported by air). Don't you think they could have dialed in too?

Yes, they could have all done the meeting online 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The invective this principled girl invokes in misogynistic right wing men is quite amusing to see.

Now stop being silly , I don't hate females , her gender is irrelevant .

Another one of those "If you disagree with a persons action then you must hate their race/gender/sexuality and so you must agree with anyone who is not the same as you or youre racist/misogynistic ect" 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Another one of those "If you disagree with a persons action then you must hate their race/gender/sexuality and so you must agree with anyone who is not the same as you or youre racist/misogynistic ect" 

So you don't think most of the attacks on her are by misogynistic right wing men? Really?

• Like 1

Does this sentence look familiar?

I don't recall you using the term "sweetie" for any male figures in the news. 

• Like 2