Haircut in Pattaya

ehs818

I use a little shop in Paniad Chang (down the side of Big C on Pattaya Klang).  I cannot recall the name but from Big C it is on the right just before the junction with the 7-Eleven on the corner (not to be confused with a couple of others you pass first).

It is operated by a mother and son.  The boy is only 16 but can give you a proper haircut using scissors and just tidy the edges with the electric trimmer.  Price is 120 baht.

Far better than some of the nonsense I have sat through elsewhere,  whereby my head is progressively shaved around the sides and back using diminishing grades of comb on the trimmer.  Because I am a grumpy old git, I refused to undergo the fourth round of torture, paid 100 baht and walked out !  My Thai lady had already given instructions as to what I wanted but the trimmer operator obviously only possessed the one, standard method !

• Like 1

I go to any 100B place IF she is pretty, skinny, has mini skirt and open deep cut blouse.

I always feel good walking out brain dead.

Desides, since we got the greatest gift to MANkind - Boris Johnson - who cares how hair looks like ????

If he's in style, bums under palms are too.

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Who the f-ck cares how much it is in the US. This is the Pattaya thread, not the USA thread.

I recall going for a haircut in Ca once, desperately  needed. I had been traveling and recently in Egypt where I got my hair cut by a friendly guy with a plastic stool and a mirror nailed to a palm tree for pennies, The US barber got quite offended when I tried to offer him a $5 note!

I used to get mine cut in chiang rai for 60 baht...but they raised it to 80 baht those greedy bastards...just kidding...it was and is a heck of a bargain and they did a very good job.  It was an old fashioned barber shot with all male barbers who knew what they were doing.  I nearly always gave them a small tip of 20 baht or so but noticed that their clientele which was almost all Thai gave no tip at all....and far as i could tell no tip was even expected.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Furioso said:

I got a haircut the other day on Soi Buakhao, the price on the window now says 120 Baht instead of the old 100 Baht. A little over 5 AUD for a haircut ain't too shabby round heah'. 

the price cartel (many shops around Rcon bar) agreed to up the price to 150, still 120s and 100s around though 

Can't name and shame unfortunately but decided to try out a local shop that presents as more high end with 250 baht cuts.

Talked to the girl about what I wanted and she proceeded to start giving me a trim clean up at best. I stopped her after 5 minutes to explain I wanted a cut not a trim. She failed to correct it and then when she saw I was visually upset with her bad service she started acting out in ways that didn't make things better. A week later barbers are waving me into their shops as I clearly still need a cut!

OK it's not uncommon to have bad haircuts anywhere especially when there's a language barrier but the sad part here is that I noticed the other stylist in that shop appeared to be super competent. At this point it would be awkward to return at all.

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Can't name and shame unfortunately but decided to try out a local shop that presents as more high end with 250 baht cuts.

Talked to the girl about what I wanted and she proceeded to start giving me a trim clean up at best. I stopped her after 5 minutes to explain I wanted a cut not a trim. She failed to correct it and then when she saw I was visually upset with her bad service she started acting out in ways that didn't make things better. A week later barbers are waving me into their shops as I clearly still need a cut!

OK it's not uncommon to have bad haircuts anywhere especially when there's a language barrier but the sad part here is that I noticed the other stylist in that shop appeared to be super competent. At this point it would be awkward to return at all.

you have to pick a barber otherwise you can get the less busy duff one, same same bars and massage shops

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you have to pick a barber otherwise you can get the less busy duff one, same same bars and massage shops

Yeah it gets worse.

I had picked the good one but then asked for a shampoo before cut which is included in the price.

So the girl did the shampoo and by that time the competent one was busy.

Bait and switch.

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah it gets worse.

I had picked the good one but then asked for a shampoo before cut which is included in the price.

So the girl did the shampoo and by that time the competent one was busy.

Bait and switch.

Ah, unlucky, shampoo after maybe better, gets rid of the cut hair

On 1/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, ehs818 said:

I'm looking for a good place in Central Pattaya to get my hair cut. I'm in my 60's so I'm not looking for a hot trendy stylist. Just needing a basic hair cut. If anyone can suggest a good reliable place, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks

I take a picture of myself on my phone with the hairstyle I want.  I show it to the barber.  Now sometimes that works well, other times I get the Thai Scalp cut.  Apparently the Thai's want to save money by going to the barber as few times as possible and hence there is a tendency to end up with the Yul Brenner look.  Try the picture, along with the words "not too short" translated into Thai.  If good go back, if not move on. 

Edited by Longwood50

For awhile I was paying 500 baht at a place catering to Koreans. I used to have good luck at similar places in the US (with similar language barriers). I can tell when a stylist is trained in Korean methods and these guys were. This was very good the best I've had in Thailand the first two or three times, and then it went downhill like my business was taken for granted. It had better be better than average for 500 in this market!

Edited by Jingthing

On 1/19/2023 at 6:41 PM, ehs818 said:

I found an excellent salon to have my hair cut at today.

Inside Caesar Hotel on Second Road, near Soi 8.  The ladys name is Rung. Haircut is 100. No need to call for appointment, she's open most weekdays. But you can make an appointment if you want. 081-004-2192

Fantastic! 

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a bit like dentists, pulling your teeth has a negative impact on business. Cutting your hair too much means you won't be back next week. You did better than I did, when I used a barber in Buriram, who i struggled to communicate with... I failed and ended up looking like I was recently a monk.... lasted a while before I needed another cut though!

On 1/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, ehs818 said:

I'm looking for a good place in Central Pattaya to get my hair cut. I'm in my 60's so I'm not looking for a hot trendy stylist. Just needing a basic hair cut. If anyone can suggest a good reliable place, I'd appreciate that.

I have been going to one on Klang for about 20 years, bit traditional and still the same boss. Don't know the name but if going down Klang towards the beach it is on left, just a few doors before 2nd Road lights, 120 baht.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have been going to one on Klang for about 20 years, bit traditional and still the same boss. Don't know the name but if going down Klang towards the beach it is on left, just a few doors before 2nd Road lights, 120 baht.

Keep that a secret.

But COVID caused a big change in staff. Elvis has left the building (he was really good), Len Nee (Fon)'s gone, etc., and the lesser skilled are wielding the clippers. Or scissors, which I need w/ my longer hair. Still, they're quite OK, value for money. They can do a good shave, too.

• Like 1