Internet banking change.

48 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Its becoming a strange old world Owl !

At least the last line (above) didn't read; "Its becoming a strange world old Owl!"

It is indeed HP.

Especially for those of us that still eat with a wooden spoon, and drag women away into our lairs by their hair.  Don't do that in Thailand though; I quickly add!!

Even web-site coding is double-dutch to me now. Though I used to build them!! And still do run a couple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I do already have an account with Kasi. Would it be easy for me to get Internet Banking on that account?

Fairly easy, yes. Just go to your branch (with bank book and passport) and tell them that you want to register for online banking / K Biz.

After a few days, you will receive an email with instructions about how to complete the process, which involves validating your email address and receiving an OTP on your phone, and after this, you can log in with a web browser using your username and password.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Personally, although I use the scan feature to pay for things in the supermarket, I feel much more comfortable doing online banking in the comfort of my own home, on my own network.

Well said.

Not all that glitters is gold.

There will be strings attached when the digital stuff becomes commonplace; as it surely will be. Carbon footprint evaluation, movement detection, social scores etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Fortunately I have an account with Krungthai that is not internet linked and has an ATM card attached. Given the coming circumstances with KTB, I'll hold my money there, and just have to make provisions to do the essential transfers at the bank once a month.

I don't want to use no 'app'. And I don't like the 'smart phones'. I'll manage, but with some inconvenience.

Why don't you just use your lap or desktop?     I suspect most people don't need to do banking business every day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Why don't you just use your lap or desktop?     I suspect most people don't need to do banking business every day.

I'd be OK with this; as I have been for years.

But from next month I can't, cause KTB banking is discontinued.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one's "getting blocked", everyone can use the branch, ATM or phone.  That you just don't want to is your problem and it's easily solved.

People are getting blocked from using their accounts.

Santander in the UK seem to be the worst. Once they block the account, it devilish difficult to get it unblocked if you are not in England.

My Barclays account was blocked a few years back.

No, they are not...here.   This thread, that you started, was about KTB's, and other Thai banks' online banking services.  None of those customers are being blocked which is what I posted about.  UK banks' blocking of accounts there, for reasons unconnected in any way with Thai online banking. is irrelevant to my comment.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they are not...here.   This thread, that you started, was about KTB's, and other Thai banks' online banking services.  None of those customers are being blocked which is what I posted about.  UK banks' blocking of accounts there, for reasons unconnected in any way with Thai online banking. is irrelevant to my comment.

If a farang lives in Thailand and has his money sent through to Krungthai bank there is gonna be a level of inconvenience, due to KTB being discontinued. However if that same farang has his account frozen in the UK then it is double trouble.

I know from personal experience that it can be difficult to get to even speak to the correct person. And at the present time, Santander seem to be the worst for this.

• Haha 1

Went in to a Krung Thai Bank branch today as I couldn't get the KTB Next app to work. Did the usual form signing etc. 3 women in the bank couldn't get it to work. One of them was on my phone, another was changing settings on the banks computer and the other woman was their boss. They eventually phoned someone who told them there was an error with the app. They told me to try again next week. I don't know if this was just to get rid of me and save face or there really is an error with the app. It kept saying "Unable to confirm" when they tried to register. 

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If a farang lives in Thailand and has his money sent through to Krungthai bank there is gonna be a level of inconvenience, due to KTB being discontinued.

KTB is not being discontinued!   Its online banking is, that's all, its Next app isn't, its ATM services aren't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I'm not sure using smartphones is any more secure than using internet banking. Nothing to stop someone forcing a victim to hold the phone up for facial recognition in order to steal from  their account.

Also. Phone screens are not good for those with bad or impaired vision.

At least with internet banking, it can be done on a larger screen. And as another poster said, there seem to be more options available via internet banking.

Personally, although I use the scan feature to pay for things in the supermarket, I feel much more comfortable doing online banking in the comfort of my own home, on my own network.

As an aside. Kasikorn are waiving fee for their new K Online Debit Card (100 baht joining fee and annual fee 150 baht) first year, from Jan 1 2023 until 30 Apr 2023.

I presume this is replacing the old K-web shopping card.

But they are also moving it from online banking to their K Plus app. So it seems other banks are pushing their apps to replace some online banking services.

Agree with all you say there but as i don't live in Thailand, i really don't want to have to get an up to date phone just to manage the money i keep there for holiday trips!  (I have just that in UK but still prefer to use my PC for banking)

Does anyone know if SCB are getting rid of their "SCB Easy" online site? Without that I would have issues too

I went into Kasikorn Bank this afternoon to apply for the new Online Debit Card as they will be terminating my current one at the end of this month, due to the fact that they are moving said card from online banking to their K Plus app.

I couldn't apply through the app as they said I could in the SMS they sent me. Even the staff in the bank couldn't find it in the app. Instead I had to do it through a K-Bank ATM.

This is the replacement for the K-Web online shopping card.

Next stop, some new specs as some of the font on those apps is too small for my eyes.

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

Is there anyone on this forum under 70? Learn to use technology, without it you’re basically crippled. 

It's not so much the technology that's the problem. It's fitting it all on small screens. Not everyone has 20/20 vision. 

Plus, the banks should think of their elderly customers who don't use, or are afraid of using these new technologies. They are numerous and often have accumulated wealth throughout their lives.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

KTB is not being discontinued!   Its online banking is, that's all, its Next app isn't, its ATM services aren't.

The KTB netbank service is ending at the end of this month.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Makes you wonder how homo sapiens ever got out of the stone age. What's wrong with flint? Been using it for 20,000 years. Why do I need this new fangled metal thing?

But are we happier?

We are fooled into thinking that we need all this tech. More like we are forced into using it. I'm quite happy feeding the chickens and watching my favourite fish come up from the depths to take its food.

However, I am in Thailand and I have to use some banking facilities. KTB netbank services has only a few days left before it is no more. Then I'll have to change my system. I don't like too much change.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

But are we happier?

We are fooled into thinking that we need all this tech. More like we are forced into using it. I'm quite happy feeding the chickens and watching my favourite fish come up from the depths to take its food.

However, I am in Thailand and I have to use some banking facilities. KTB netbank services has only a few days left before it is no more. Then I'll have to change my system. I don't like too much change.

Well I'm sure there's a meteor out there just hurtling earthwards that's going to change all that Mr Owl. The only reason we're here is because that happened millions of years ago. Purely by chance. The odds must have been trillions to one.

Anyway, we're here now, for better or worse, and we're a clever species. Now I read the greatest threat to our survival isn't climate change, nor over population. It's population shrinkage. We could become extinct due to our reluctance to reproduce. Birth rates are collapsing. My little mobile tells me so. It must be true!

And btw, why do you need online banking? Just to move money around? You could do that with a phone call. Might have to pay extra, but if mobile banking is really such a chore...

Have you looked at Wise? You can move money from your UK bank into your Wise account, then from there into your Krungthai account. It's fairly painless. I use it all the time. Easy to set up. Biometrics optional. You still need to log into your UK bank to transfer the money over to Wise, but there are no charges, and I imagine you use your laptop to do that. You're then able to transfer into your THB account when you want. In the end though, I think you'll have to grit your teeth and grapple with a smart phone. You're no technophobe if as you say you've designed and maintained websites, so I don't know what the source of your reluctance is. Just get yourself a cheapie, under 5k for sure. That's my advice. Sure, there's a learning curve, like with anything.

46 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You still need to log into your UK bank to transfer the money over to Wise, but there are no charges, and I imagine you use your laptop to do that. You're then able to transfer into your THB account when you want. In the end though, I think you'll have to grit your teeth and grapple with a smart phone.

What does Wise have to do with smartphones?  You can run Wise on computer and for US banks Wise can draw funds directly once set up.  But indeed there are charges.

This change will be inconvenient for those of us that send money to our KTB account via Wise , and then like to check the account using net banking from outside Thailand .

I don`t mind downloading the App. , but how will it work from outside the country ?

TBH though , I`m not totally surprised they have shut down the Netbank - it was a very basic web site , hardly what you would expect from a major bank .

27 minutes ago, persimmon said:

TBH though , I`m not totally surprised they have shut down the Netbank - it was a very basic web site , hardly what you would expect from a major bank .

It was simple and efficient. It did the job for me over many years.

I also liked the code that was sent to your phone. I'm not after a complicated experience; just secure simplicity.

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There will be strings attached when the digital stuff becomes commonplace; as it surely will be. Carbon footprint evaluation, movement detection, social scores etc.

If you live in a totalitarian regime that wants this, they will get it, assuming they are advanced enough, regardless of what the citizens do. If you don’t live in such regime, there will probably be none of it. Many European countries are already fully digital and has been for many years, and they have not developed in the same way as e.g. China.

As for Thailand, I sincerely doubt the people in power have the skills to use any new data that would theoretically be available, when/if all payments are digital.

I do also wonder, if there was actually any data collection going on regarding payments, wouldn’t the first victims be all the government/police employees taking bribes? That should actually be a good thing, if someone looked into all those additional payments going to government employees.

• Like 1

This is an annoying trend, and not only banks are involved, Lazada for instance forced me to install their app to transfer from my wallet to my bank. I guess that now everybody has access to a smart phone while only a fraction of the population has a computer at home, so they are pragmatic. I have to look into IOS emulators, but I am not too hopeful.

• Like 1

I like using the ktb netbank as you could see, the under my account details option, the accrued interest receivable amount updated every morning instead of waiting 6 months, since they pay interest twice a year, to see the amount you'll get..... this option under account details isnt available through ktb next. 

Been using it since 2006 and it is a shame seeing it discontinued......

Screenshot_20230125_210503.jpg

Edited by walailak
????????
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

What does Wise have to do with smartphones?  You can run Wise on computer and for US banks Wise can draw funds directly once set up.  But indeed there are charges.

Sure, but the OP 's problem is he has to switch to a smartphone because KT desktop banking is being switched off. So what's the problem with migrating other apps? Otherwise the smartphone will be semi redundant before he even starts, and he'll be forever switching between the two.

This thread seems to have become an argument between those who love mobile phones, and those who hate them. It's pointless.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Well I'm sure there's a meteor out there just hurtling earthwards that's going to change all that Mr Owl. The only reason we're here is because that happened millions of years ago. Purely by chance. The odds must have been trillions to one.

Anyway, we're here now, for better or worse, and we're a clever species. Now I read the greatest threat to our survival isn't climate change, nor over population. It's population shrinkage. We could become extinct due to our reluctance to reproduce. Birth rates are collapsing. My little mobile tells me so. It must be true!

And btw, why do you need online banking? Just to move money around? You could do that with a phone call. Might have to pay extra, but if mobile banking is really such a chore...

Have you looked at Wise? You can move money from your UK bank into your Wise account, then from there into your Krungthai account. It's fairly painless. I use it all the time. Easy to set up. Biometrics optional. You still need to log into your UK bank to transfer the money over to Wise, but there are no charges, and I imagine you use your laptop to do that. You're then able to transfer into your THB account when you want. In the end though, I think you'll have to grit your teeth and grapple with a smart phone. You're no technophobe if as you say you've designed and maintained websites, so I don't know what the source of your reluctance is. Just get yourself a cheapie, under 5k for sure. That's my advice. Sure, there's a learning curve, like with anything.

You don't have any problem transferring from your UK based Wise a/c to your Thai ac whilst in Thailand? I was thinking I might need a VPN. Cheers

3 hours ago, Albaby said:

You don't have any problem transferring from your UK based Wise a/c to your Thai ac whilst in Thailand? I was thinking I might need a VPN. Cheers

I have the same VPN on both my laptop and my mobile. The mobile version is simplicity itself. The laptop version is a pita, like all things running on Microsoft Windows. I have Tor browser and Ghostery on both. My UK bank recommends software that has always proved problematic in the past, as an additional safeguard. Come May 1st this year, they are shutting down all accounts that are no longer paying them interest. They were bought out by RBS, which was merged with NatWest. How much bigger can they get? They blocked me from accessing my account for 5 working days while their idiot fraud team investigated a transaction I was trying to make to another UK bank account owned by 2 fully registered in the UK companies. Eventually they apologised and coughed up a measly £350 compo.

UK banks. By comparison I find Krungthai exactly what I need. Only a few branches here in Pattaya, but very short queues if you need counter service. I use the ATM maybe once a month max, more recently every 6 weeks approximately, and change all my 1k notes into 500s. The only reason I ever go inside.

Wise is fine, but I've had to lodge a formal complaint with them for demanding to see the source of a $131 transfer to India. The source was my $ account with them. They wanted to see the source of that account, which is my UK account. But when I transfer in 50 times the amount in sterling, they have no problem at all. Anyway, enough on banks and banking. I found a way to transfer the money in the end.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bradiston said:

UK banks. By comparison I find Krungthai exactly what I need. Only a few branches here in Pattaya, but very short queues if you need counter service. I use the ATM maybe once a month max, more recently every 6 weeks approximately, and change all my 1k notes into 500s. The only reason I ever go inside.

You probably shouldn’t take comfort in this, it is exactly why those branches will be closed… one day.

Why go to the expense of having retail branches if they’re not being used ?

Sooner or later some bean counter on the rise will come up with a way to lower overheads and raise profits, he’ll even get a nice bonus out of it while customers and staff get shafted…

• Thumbs Up 1