Russian man arrested in Phuket for alleged robbery, illegal possession of firearms

snoop1130

Cherngtalay-Police-Station.jpg

Photo: Google Maps

A Russian national has been apprehended in Phuket on charges of robbery, illegal possession of firearms, carrying a weapon in public without proper authorisation, and illegally detaining others with accomplices who are still at large.

According to a Phuket Express report, Dmitry Shergin was arrested in Karon on February 1 on an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket Provincial Court on January 31. The arrest was a result of a complaint filed by two Russian nationals, Viacheslav Kopan and Evgenii Kamolov, to Cherngtalay Police in Thalang on December 11, 2022.

Read our editorial about the current problem with Russian arrivals in Phuket.

The complainants alleged that they were threatened and attacked by a group of foreign suspects who stole 20,000 US dollars in cash and 25,000 US dollars in cryptocurrency. The robbery allegedly took place around 1.00am in Soi Cherng Talay 16.

The police launched an investigation and shortly after, were able to identify the suspect. Officers also discovered that a friend of one of the victims was allegedly involved in the incident.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/russian-man-arrested-in-phuket-for-alleged-robbery-illegal-possession-of-firearms/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-02-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Yes, sir. I'll make sure I take 1 BTC worth of baht with me when I grab that bag of toasted muesli at Villa Market.

Plenty of people get a discount on their car or land paying it in cash, or buy hand bags worth that money in Siam malls. Not that unusual.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

"Another suspect in the case, 32 year old Dnitry Shergin, was arrested last Wednesday and is facing charges of robbery, illegal possession of firearms, carrying a gun in public without a permit, and illegally detaining other people. The police identified Shergin as the suspect after a full investigation. However, the other suspects involved in the incident are still on the run.

There has been an increase in incidents of violent crime involving Russians in Thailand in recent times. Just this week, there was a reported case of a Russian woman who went on a rampage and bit a British woman’s finger during a spat over a bean bag chair at the beach. Last month, a Russian tourist was arrested for vandalizing two 7-Eleven branches in Pattaya, causing injuries to himself and others."

ok I'll do it -   More "quality" tourists....

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, rwill said:

I'm still curious as to how they stole crypto from them.  How did they even know they had crypto?  I guess they must have been carrying a hardware wallet with them.

One of the thieves apparently knew them and knew they owned crypto.

I know that a large percentage of my friends own crypto and it's reasonable to think that most young people in their 20's and 30's who are traveling around the world are into crypto to some degree. 

• Like 1