Hotel Receptionist Situation.

NoshowJones

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you saying video from inside the room? how?

Yes, I don't know about video, but the receptionist was checking my room on some monitor before handing me back my deposit. I was being nosey and popped my head over the counter to see what she was looking at and had a full view of the room.

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

I find it hard to believe that a receptionist can have an unrestricted camera access to rooms, they can be sued for breach of privacy close, maybe the op didn't see the whole process that he claimed to witnessed ...

The room also had cooking facilities and the receptionist was probably checking everything was OK before handing me back my deposit. I had a very quick look and the monitor was quite big.

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Unlikely a video camera fixed in the room, maybe they use their phone or something when checking room to save time for checkout \ deposit back

That would be exactly it, it is not often I get asked to leave a deposit, but there was a lot of kitchen equipment in the room.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes, I don't know about video, but the receptionist was checking my room on some monitor before handing me back my deposit. I was being nosey and popped my head over the counter to see what she was looking at and had a full view of the room.

thai have pervert laws?

On 2/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Are you saying video from inside the room? how?

Wow, this case needs to be cracked. 

Let's get our finest, the 'AN investigation team', let's investigate and get to the bottom of this guys. 

Erm....  You definitely chose the wrong user name... 

Perhaps change your name to  ’show-it-all-Jones’......  :giggle:

---------

Seriously though - Was the image you saw from a mobile device carried by a maid etc, or something fixed in the room?....  

If its the maid carrying a camera or phone to show the manager / receptionist that there is no major damage etc, then that would obviously be ok. 

Conversely anything fixed is a massive invasion of privacy and most certainly against some laws. 

Can you name the place? - maybe others are familiar with it. 

Why did you not ask them there and then ?....  go back and check the room for the camera etc.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:16 PM, NoshowJones said:

I watched as the receptionist looked at a screen, it was not facing me, it was at a 50 degree angle so I bent over and saw my room as the receptionist looked at it.

I find your post to be a little unbelievable.

Did the receptionist talk to any staff, e.g. to go and check your room, if that is the case, perhaps the staff member was wearing a camera or was showing the room to reception via a mobile app ?

Hotels cannot have cameras in rooms, we all know that, but then again, I have never stayed at a posh hotel that holds 300 baht cash as a deposit.