Revisited again, European "grey in grey".

swissie

41 minutes ago, swissie said:

Thai Burocracy is more cumbersome than in Europe.

Not if you are a non-EU national wishing to stay more than 90 days (90/180) in one go in the EU, then Thai immigration bureaucracy is easy peasy by comparison. The EU countries in general want you to fill out many forms, have many attachments, sometimes wait months for approvals, attend interviews, and become tax resident with a a view to your world wide income and in many cases spend at least 6 months in the country. 

Much as I have moaned about Thai Imm over the years, when I relocated to Greece as my habitual residence I learnt how easy Thailand Imm had been by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although our world will surpass 10 billion lost souls, within the next few decades, yet, so true is the fact that we are already living in a greying world, inescapably. 

Young people today are smart enough to see what is just beyond the horizon. 

And, they are now educated enough to not wish to subject children, especially children that they can avoid having, to this grey world, a world which is now not here nor there. 

But never fear. Our world population of lost greying souls is on the rise. 

Most of you reading these words will see world population hit 10 billion, even while simultaneously witnessing our world's ecosystem take a nosedive. 

It is now written in stone. 

If only we could increase our fertility! 

Because, China's population is now already crashing. 

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Although our world will surpass 10 billion lost souls, within the next few decades, yet, so true is the fact that we are already living in a greying world, inescapably. 

Young people today are smart enough to see what is just beyond the horizon. 

And, they are now educated enough to not wish to subject children, especially children that they can avoid having, to this grey world, a world which is now not here nor there. 

But never fear. Our world population of lost greying souls is on the rise. 

Most of you reading these words will see world population hit 10 billion, even while simultaneously witnessing our world's ecosystem take a nosedive. 

It is now written in stone. 

If only we could increase our fertility! 

Because, China's population is now already crashing. 

Not only China,russia also and so will most "modern" countries.

The west is making it too easy for so called asylum seekers to enter

and too difficult for (let's say)a Thai citizen who wants to visit.

World population will decline and governments are really scared of losing

their tax income and there fore they want more immigrants but on the other hand they create new problems.

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

Not only China,russia also and so will most "modern" countries.

The west is making it too easy for so called asylum seekers to enter

and too difficult for (let's say)a Thai citizen who wants to visit.

World population will decline and governments are really scared of losing

their tax income and there fore they want more immigrants but on the other hand they create new problems.

Sounds logical.

Absolutely agree about the interminable months of grey skies. To add to the gloom most trees have lost their leaves, very little grows, just the sound of crows cawing in the branches.

It's an indoor life five months of the year, not good for the soul imo. The bright flowers and tree blossoms of Thailand all year round lift the spirit immeasurably.

The greyness effect of the European winter is very true... and I felt it hard especially two years ago when I had to take a break from travelling during winter for the first time in many years but I have got more used to it now. This year I didn't have the same urge anymore as in the past although I might still travel this winter before the arrival of spring. There are grey, overcast skies aplenty, but the air is clean, depending on where you live. In Thailand since at least 2018 the sky was more and more frequently grey for a completely different reason...

Also Europe offers many advantages even in winter time over Thailand. I think the key is to keep yourself busy so you don't have so much time to keep on feeling miserable about weather.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:04 PM, rabang said:

The greyness effect of the European winter is very true... and I felt it hard especially two years ago when I had to take a break from travelling during winter for the first time in many years but I have got more used to it now. This year I didn't have the same urge anymore as in the past although I might still travel this winter before the arrival of spring. There are grey, overcast skies aplenty, but the air is clean, depending on where you live. In Thailand since at least 2018 the sky was more and more frequently grey for a completely different reason...

Also Europe offers many advantages even in winter time over Thailand. I think the key is to keep yourself busy so you don't have so much time to keep on feeling miserable about weather.

Working usually cures winter blues. Seems there are a lot of posters that don't have anything to do, and get bored.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:50 AM, bannork said:

Absolutely agree about the interminable months of grey skies. To add to the gloom most trees have lost their leaves, very little grows, just the sound of crows cawing in the branches.

It's an indoor life five months of the year, not good for the soul imo. The bright flowers and tree blossoms of Thailand all year round lift the spirit immeasurably.

I live in the land of frangipani 12 months out of every year. 

Never have I heard a discouraging word about it. 

However, crows, like Thai Myna birds, are interesting, too. 

46 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I live in the land of frangipani 12 months out of every year. 

Never have I heard a discouraging word about it. 

However, crows, like Thai Myna birds, are interesting, too. 

A wonderful tree with flowers so fragrant and so beautiful in their texted colours. I remember years ago Thais saying it wasn't suitable to have in the garden at home as the old Thai name was similar to a word for sadness. Best for temples and graveyards, they said! However Princess Sirindhorn changed the official name so that was alright.

I just can't stand the sound of crows though, it's a shame they dominate Lumpini Park in Bangkok 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bannork said:

A wonderful tree with flowers so fragrant and so beautiful in their texted colours. I remember years ago Thais saying it wasn't suitable to have in the garden at home as the old Thai name was similar to a word for sadness. Best for temples and graveyards, they said! However Princess Sirindhorn changed the official name so that was alright.

I just can't stand the sound of crows though, it's a shame they dominate Lumpini Park in Bangkok 

I LOVE the sound of crows.

What's wrong with you?

Have you never read any Poe???

Crows are even better than Ravens.

After all....

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Ordinarily, some might think it might have been better if you had used the phrase "textured colors", instead of texted colours,

BUT, I do not agree.

Texted Colours is FAR BETTER.

You are not an indifferent writer, by any means.

Hats off to you, sir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Sounds like a Greatful Dead thing......

The Dead's music, at its best, is like Thailand, colourful and joyous, only a touch of grey. Jerry should have fled to Thailand when his health problems became serious. A diet of papaya salad and steamed snake fish soup would have sorted him out. ( sorry about accidental bold print ).

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I LOVE the sound of crows.

What's wrong with you?

Have you never read any Poe???

Crows are even better than Ravens.

After all....

Exactly. In Poe's poem the crow 's repetition of  'nevermore' symbolises the hopelessness and impossibility of the return of Poe's long lost love. Brutal. I'm surprised Edgar didn't hang himself after its visit..

Crows are bullies, threatening smaller birds, thieves, stealing their eggs. Gathering in large number with that dreadful gutteral cawing, they are nothing but mindless vandals running through some depressed inner city unit in northern UK. Except the crows are more intelligent.

Solitary ravens, on the other hand, have some redeemable qualities, see Gene Clark's song, 'The Silver Raven'.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

41 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Ordinarily, some might think it might have been better if you had used the phrase "textured colors", instead of texted colours,

BUT, I do not agree.

Texted Colours is FAR BETTER.

You are not an indifferent writer, by any means.

Hats off to you, sir!

The predictive text function can be a curse as well as a blessing!

52 minutes ago, bannork said:

Exactly. In Poe's poem the crow 's repetition of  'nevermore' symbolises the hopelessness and impossibility of the return of Poe's long lost love. Brutal. I'm surprised Edgar didn't hang himself after its visit..

Crows are bullies, threatening smaller birds, thieves, stealing their eggs. Gathering in large number with that dreadful gutteral cawing, they are nothing but mindless vandals running through some depressed inner city unit in northern UK. Except the crows are more intelligent.

Solitary ravens, on the other hand, have some redeemable qualities, see Gene Clark's song, 'The Silver Raven'.

Nice.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Working usually cures winter blues. Seems there are a lot of posters that don't have anything to do, and get bored.

Which is why I don't dream of retirement and don't hold it as some sort of a goal, though I have to say I am also not a wage slave. If I was I might feel differently.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I no longer need to look at the poster's name to know if you posted it.

Always good to have some new blood on the forum, especially when they're humorous and quirky.

Folks should plan retirement, someone said you need two things to enjoy the sunset years:

A happy home life, a loving family and/ or a group of sincere friends, and secondly, an activity you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

Always good to have some new blood on the forum, especially when they're humorous and quirky.

Folks should plan retirement, someone said you need two things to enjoy the sunset years:

A happy home life, a loving family and/ or a group of sincere friends, and secondly, an activity you enjoy.

Humerous and quirky people are always welcome, wherever.

Unfortunately I believed the politicians lies that if I worked hard, was a good citizen, paid my taxes etc I'd been taken care of when it came my time to retire, but those promises were lies, of course.

My house went to a scheming woman, my savings to a false woman, and one must get by as best one can, even if not in the place one wished to be in one's sunset years.

I have no family, my friends drifted away over the years, and the activity I enjoyed most was found only in LOS, so I don't qualify on any of your points, yet I survive, and even get some enjoyment in life, so consider myself lucky.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rabang said:

Which is why I don't dream of retirement and don't hold it as some sort of a goal, though I have to say I am also not a wage slave. If I was I might feel differently.

I love being retired. The freedom to do what I like, when I like ( within financial means ) is precious to me. Work was always just a means to be able to do what I wanted.

• Like 1