British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

16 minutes ago, sateuk said:

If she was hit by another bike and it was there fault they should pay, the other ride must have bad injuries also I doubt he or she just got up and drove of on there possibly broken bike

These foreign tourists are extremely naive. Even IF the other driver has insurance you will get next to nothing from these insurance companies. There was a topic here where this was covered how much you might get. 

Of course you can go to court and try to get the not covered expenses. But not at all accidents the guilty driver has a Bentley (like at a recent case in the news) and might be rich ????. So don't expect much. 

• Like 1

6 hours from posting and on page 5, got to be close to a record. 

With internet news on this kind of thing even the invincible 20 something kids are aware.

I have no sympathy for this kind of stupid.

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand is like Russian roulette with a automatic handgun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt you worked in a Thai government hospital.

You cannot relate prices in government hospitals to the private sector.

It is customary in Thailand for ambulance drivers to take a foreigner to a private hospital and a Thai to a government hospital unless told otherwise.

A friend of mine was on holiday on Koh Larne with the family when the father in law suffered a head injury. The ambulance initially took him to Naklua, nearest at the time, who shook their heads and sent him to Chonburi. By the time he got there it was too late to do anything and died shortly after.

My friend and his wife were quite upset when they found out the ambulance had driven past several private hospitals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

£40,000, that is 1,640,000 baht, insanely expensive for broken bones.

The hospitals management, directors, investors and their outstanding loans for buildings and equipment have to be paid somehow.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

her family say her travel insurers are 'dragging their heels'

Naturally they would want to confirm that she is appropriately licenced in her own country, i.e. having a riders licence and of course an international riders permit to ride in Thailand, and that she was wearing a helmet, wasn't speeding and that the bike was under 125cc's and of course a police report of course.

These things take time, suffice to say, I would bet my left one she wasn't licenced properly.

Hope I'm wrong and the insurance company comes to her rescue, if not, the good Samaritans of GoFundMe will be donating once again.

I can't believe how stupid people are thinking insurers will cough up straight away, i.e. unless it's a heart attack or some other accident where there is no motorbike involved.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1. Tourists in Thailand only require a DL in English from their home country.

2. Liability should be on the hire company to check documents are in order.

3. UK citizens should be required to read the below UK.gov warning page on travel to Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1. Tourists in Thailand only require a DL in English from their home country.

2. Liability should be on the hire company to check documents are in order.

The posters hating on this poor girl should be ashamed of themselves.

Not for insurance companies, they require you to have an international drivers permit as well as your licence.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

A tourist friend recently suffered a severe gash to his leg falling off his motorbike. Nobody else involved. Got taken to Bangkok Hospital. His insurance had expired. Got sent to government hospital. They stitched him up, kept him in for 3 days, and presented him with a bill for 17,000 THB, which I think was entirely reasonable, probably a complete bargain. Friends bailed him out as he'd mislaid his cards. 17,000 is far from a fortune, and affordable for most travellers. He's back on his feet, and his bike. That's partly what the 300 THB is for. The hospital is government subsidised, and my friend, as a tourist, makes no contribution to that subsidy. Only the Thai taxpayer does that.

Of course, comparisons don't always apply, and this article appeared in the Mail, a not too reputable rag, with few details. For instance, where did it happen? What hospital? If there were questions about this woman's insurance cover, and her ability to pay, why proceed with extremely costly surgery, when alternatives (public hospital possibly) existed? It didn't appear to be life threatening, so moving her to a public hospital would seem to have been in her interests, at least, for her immediate wellbeing. She's unlikely to do a runner with 7 broken bones on the mend.

We read of cases like this regularly, but always sourced from an overseas newspaper. Badly researched and sensationalist. Did the Mail send a reporter out to Thailand? Nah. Just copied it off the wire. How accurate are the figures? £40,000 is an astronomical sum. A cautionary tale nonetheless.

Just my 300 THB worth!

Sorry, it looks gruesome, but he walked away! You pays yer money....

received_724114062550548.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

It is known that Thai hospitals have extra price lists for foreigners, which are many times higher than for Thais. And if travel insurance is available, hospitals are happy to push it to the max. The Hippocratic Oath is then gladly replaced by pure greed.

Totally agree and now Covid is 'over' and many more tourists are here the hospitals are no doubt trying to make up for the short fall that happened during Covid?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

It has  been awhile since I recall this being addressed. What does the annual road tax required insurance cover? would the bike, being insured not come into play?

The standard accident insurance for scooters is a joke. If I remember correctly, that's only 50,000 baht for personal injuryes.

The abhorrent fact that they held this poor girl's pain hostage and as a bargaining tool for payment up front is off the charts cruel and inhumane. They wouldn't even give her any pain medication Typically Thailand and just plain foul and disgusting. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The abhorrent fact that they held this poor girl's pain hostage and as a bargaining tool for payment up front is off the charts cruel and inhumane. They wouldn't even give her any pain medication Typically Thailand and just plain foul and disgusting. :post-4641-1156693976:

As a sceptic, you should be sceptic to everything you read, and it sounds strange to me if they did not give any at all. When hurt, there is a possibility she still feel great pain even after given medication.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

It would be good to know what is included in the total, perhaps the damage to the bike is in there also. 

Another poster recently reported that he was taken into a large private hospital with acute pneumonia and stayed for three days before being transferred to a government hospital, his outstanding bill for the three days is 340k Baht. That cost makes no sense to me since I had a coronary stent inserted at Bangkok's best known private hospital for half that cost.

100k a day in ICU.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt you worked in a Thai government hospital.

Cost for a broken hip for foreign patient in Thai government hospital in Chiang Mai (San Sai hospital) 2 years back was 20,000bht, paid for by the government minimum insurance. My woman did all the running around and paperwork for the old guy, insurance paid hospital direct after she filed the police report..

I got transferred from the private hospital that cost me over 300K for 3 days ICU.

To a government hospital, spent 4weeks in ICU before moving to the ward room I currently am in.

Total cost - 0.00 baht.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I got transferred from the private hospital that cost me over 300K for 3 days ICU.

To a government hospital, spent 4weeks in ICU before moving to the ward room I currently am in.

Total cost - 0.00 baht.

Is your wife working for government? 

Why zero cost at government hospital?

• Like 2