British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

When hurt, there is a possibility she still feel great pain even after given medication.

Sure...possibility...so what? There's also a good chance of some much needed relief, thus the moniker "painkillers". Aren't pain relief and care primary functions of a hospital? And it's a certainty that she will be in, and remain in, great pain without any medication. 

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Private hospitals in Thailand are businesses, pure and simple.  They see a foreign tourist as an opportunity, and will actively look for ways to add to the bill with extra tests and treatments.

First time I went to one in Bangkok with my new company hralth insurance, I thought, at first, they were just being thorough and caring, asking me if I had any other worries apart from the minor issue that brought me to their hospital.

Then I realised, after several unnecessary 'tests' ... they were just padding the bill.

They are like back street car repair garages.

Totally true they had me with my son saying he had unusual heart sounds to put him on different machines to pad the bill then said everything ok , that was Bkk hospital 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The Thais get treated in hospitals that aren't ripping them off.

It's all relative. Some people accept to be in a big room together with 10 other people and the family on standby to take care of them. Others want a nice room for themselves and 1st class medical treatment. And that cost money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

At 1.6+ million baht owing to them the hospital has every right to asks for their money, the problem is with the UK travel insurance that drags their feet in covering the expenses and not adding to the already mounting miseries and pains of everybody.

This has little or nothing to do with the insurance company dragging its heels.

First of all I am quite surprised the she even had insurance because if she had read the small print she would have noticed that there is a paragraph stating that the insurance is null and void when riding a motorbike that does not belong to the rider even as a passenger.

The said motorbike must be owned and imported from the home country for the duration of stay.

Her situation is further reduced by the simple fact that if she has no licence or just a provisional “ L “ driver licence she is not qualified to drive.

The sad fact is that if the know it all millennials would realise that they don’t know it all and would stop and listen to those they refer to as prehistoric they would maybe learn a few things, one of which is read the small print on any contract before you sign or accept it.

The web is full of all the info people need and a simple call to insurance companies will confirm or deny any of the discoveries made therein.

Good luck to this young woman I truly hope she completes a full recovery but whilst she may be the victim of an accident in which she MAY have played no part there are many points within this story that need clarification before I will consider any contributions

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, spermwhale said:

The point is they are fleecing her. No way, no how anywhere, especially up country in Thailand, would a hospital charge that much to treat someone for their injuries like hers, not even Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital. 

You're forgetting, The Thai has made it LEGAL for hospitals to charge DOUBLE for western tourist. Even if the have Insurance 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sad but happens every day here to Thai people.

40K is a lot off money ,But did they read their travel insurance Policy + all the fine print ?

Than it should be known whether the Insurance Company Has to pay or Not.

If all the bases are covered ,Like Helmet,International DP for motorbike/car,Legal Renting,

17 minutes ago, Ginner said:

You're forgetting, The Thai has made it LEGAL for hospitals to charge DOUBLE for western tourist. Even if the have Insurance 

Or the Thais made it legal to charge rich high earning westerners the real full price for medical treatment at their govt hospitals and Thais pay a subsidized price.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I read a list of the injuries and saw a picture of her.....I can say that and did.....

There was no mention of ICU in the UK press nor here so I suspect not. 

I have had a bad wrist injury where rods were used at BHP.

I have had a bad wrist injury.......And How did that happen ?? Errrrrr. Doesn't Matter Think we all know !!   555 !!

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That changes everything 

Indeed it does.

I was not aware of this social security, I admitted to a private hospital thinking my health insurance would cover it to waking 13 days later 70km away in government hospital.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, LisuLover said:

The British insurance industry know that there’s a huge problem with motorbike accidents in Thailand, so applications for cover should come with a comprehensive section to ascertain the applicants intentions. Instead of doing this insurance companies leave gaps and grey areas everywhere that they can exploit at a later date and when the damage is done. Primary blame lies with British insurers and the regulator to act instead of sitting on it fat a***

Human nature being what it is, even if their choice of travel insurance clearly offered two distinct policies; 1) No moto hiring/riding or 2) Including moto hiring/riding people would take a chance and buy the cheaper one (those who buy any travel insurance at all that is). 

So the rental companies or individuals who rent out motorcycles can rent them with no insurance and face no liability?  What about the other driver? If he was found responsible how would the victim be compensated and how would the amount be determined?

I assume she probably would get nothing. The other driver makes a suitable donation and leaves.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:20 AM, giddyup said:

When you are young you think you are invincible. When I was in my 20's I hired scooters in Bali and Tahiti, never had a licence and never wore a helmet. I also bought a big bike in Spain that had been imported from the US, that I rode all over Spain and then the UK, still no licence or registration. I did buy a helmet in the UK though as they'd just become compulsory. Wonderful carefree, irresponsible days.

That would have been 1973 then?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Ruby arrived at hospital with a broken bone protruding from her right arm, four broken bones in her hand, a broken wrist, a broken collarbone and multiple lacerations all over her body.

This ^^^ is why so many are shocked when a real problem occurs in Thailand.

Yes diagnostics is cheaper in Thailand but major surgeries like resetting a compound fracture or plating a broken collar bone is

going to be $$$ same as anywhere in the world

Yes the bones on the hand, a broken wrist (depending on severity) & lacerations, may not be too high but, those first two are going to cost you

But even with that 1.6 Million Baht sounds pretty high & would be nice if someone shined the light on this hospital & ask them to explain this cost

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, howerde said:

In the UK  you would be taken to hospital all treatment at A and E(accident and emergency) is free to all, if admitted then if not a resident you are charged 150% of the normal cost, and the bill mounts up start claiming on your insurance,  the difference is that you would be treated with payment due later.  your hospital bills are shared with government agencies, so if you left the UK without paying, this is on your record and would not be able to apply for any UK visa until the debt is paid( these are rules that have come about in recent years to stop medical tourism).  i would not be surprised if they now use debt collection agencies to reclaim the money when you return home

Do you have any links to any of these claims, which I don't dispute, but have no idea if they're true. 150% of the costs? Inter agency sharing of data? Between the NHS and Home Office?

Medical tourism is a huge cash cow for Thailand. $5 billion and counting pa. What you're talking about is the exploitation of free, or subsidised, medical services.

https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/thailand-medical-tourism-market#:~:text=Thailand Medical Tourism Market Outlook,at a robust 18.4 % CAGR.

37 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

that the insurance is null and void when riding a motorbike that does not belong to the rider even as a passenger.

The said motorbike must be owned and imported from the home country for the duration of stay.

you got a link to a policy that has this ownership requirement in the fine print cause it sure sounds like boooo sheet to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

When you are young you think you are invincible. When I was in my 20's I hired scooters in Bali and Tahiti, never had a licence and never wore a helmet. I also bought a big bike in Spain that had been imported from the US, that I rode all over Spain and then the UK, still no licence or registration. I did buy a helmet in the UK though as they'd just become compulsory. Wonderful carefree, irresponsible days.

good on you....great adventures....sounds like this girl ran out of luck but it could have been worse

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SuwadeeS said:

Another hit and run in Thailand.

Hey Thailand. Why not enforce your traffic laws?

I personal see it every day. Uncountable times.

Break the traffic law is normal. 

Enforcement of traffic laws would have prevented this accident how exactly

?

Edited by Ralf001

One point six million Thai Baht - an amount not to be sneezed at. While the hospital might want to justify all those (possibly inflated?) expenses the Royal Thai Police might kick into action and make use of some of those CCTV cameras so befittingly purchased and paid for with taxpayers money. I am pretty sure that nothing had been done in this regard - remember 20 - 30 years ago the daily caption reading "the driver fled the scene"? What is the worth of the bike's insurance? 

Needless to say to take the travel insurer into the equation as well. The only victim seems to be the apparently innocent accident victim. 

Maybe Phipat (the c"*çn-in-chief of the tourism ministry) takes this as a pristine example, where tourism promotions worth eight and nine amounts in Baht are going out the window - latter also on behalf of the Thai taxpayer! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, actonion said:

If its a proven hit and run then the Thai government should foot the bill

It would be so in Nordic countries, but anywhere else? 

Thats what valid travel insurance cover, when you do things that is included in your insurance. 

Every new passport holders should have a mandatory seminar to got their passport in first place. 

• Haha 1