Why are you in Thailand?

Why are you here?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Without denying the above, I think many western guys settle in Pattaya because they are just more comfortable being around a large bunch of fellow farangs.

Maybe they just feel more comfortable being around farang?

Or do you think they'd be more comfortable being around Lao Kao guzzling alcoholics that are just a few drinks away from liver failure (which is all too common in the men in rural Thailand)

22 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Other than that it has become more annoying and inconvenient to live here.  I never adjusted.  Never found the majority of the locals friendly. Except if they wanted something of course. So moving back to the states in about two weeks. 

Sooooo, you lived in Bkk, the <deleted> <deleted> of Thailand and didn't like it to the point of going back to the states. Didn't you even consider that Bkk isn't the be all and end all of Thailand, and that there are about a gazillion far better places to live in LOS?

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think that majority of those that settle in Pattaya are well aware it's one huge brothel.

You certainly don't go there for the pristine beaches, so cheap sex, boys or girls, your choice i would suggest is the driving factor

IMO you are showing your ignorance of what Pattaya is. It has what every place in LOS has, but more obviously, but it also has many other things. A common factor about farangs that live in Pattaya would IMO be that they don't spend a lot of time in bars looking for women to have sex with, as probably in a relationship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you are showing your ignorance of what Pattaya is. It has what every place in LOS has, but more obviously, but it also has many other things. A common factor about farangs that live in Pattaya would IMO be that they don't spend a lot of time in bars looking for women to have sex with, as probably in a relationship.

Well said.  It amazes me how many people think Pattaya is just Walking Street, Beach Road and Treetown!  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Maybe they just feel more comfortable being around farang?

Or do you think they'd be more comfortable being around Lao Kao guzzling alcoholics that are just a few drinks away from liver failure (which is all too common in the men in rural Thailand)

Couldn't say -- I don't have much exposure to either of those groups.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think that's not true. Many retired farangs hang around the bar for entertainment, whether they are looking for sex or not. That's also where company hangs out. Where else are retired farangs going to go? Sit at home and listen to the wife all day and night if they are married or just watch TV if they are not? Certainly there's an element of lonely, poor farangs who just wander up and down beach road.

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well said.  It amazes me how many people think Pattaya is just Walking Street, Beach Road and Treetown!  ????

Not true, it also includes soi 6 ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you been to London? or the UK recently?

Each time I go back, I can't wait to return here to Thailand. It's not perfect, but from the day I moved here, I have never regretted it one moment.

London vs Samui. Hmmm.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Have you been to London? or the UK recently?

Each time I go back, I can't wait to return here to Thailand. It's not perfect, but from the day I moved here, I have never regretted it one moment.

London vs Samui. Hmmm.

Agree, and when I think of all the places I've lived (states: TN, WV, PA, NJ, FL, MI), definitely no regrets.  Only returned to the USA twice in 22 yrs since retiring, and for the minimal time I needed to take care of business, and couldn't wait to leave.

Nothing per se wrong with where I was, just TH is better all around except for the air pollution, which I can deal with. 

I have the choice of either & choose TH.

When I 2nd guess that decision, me & my buddy have a seat, whether at home or surfside and think it over, and always come to the same conclusion, we'll stay put in TH:

image.png.0579a96b5a13cea3cafc0305d1be58f9.png

me & humanDN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, Neeranam said:

Hard to really get to know the people in a tourist area like Hua Hin. God knows what it is like in somewhere like Pattaya! 

In Isarn, it is easier and the people are great.

The farther South I go, the less friendly the people. 

One persons experience.

mine differs from yours. Very friendly in the southern provinces

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Manwhoring. I figured a lot of men come here for sex. Maybe there’s a market for women to the same. It hasn’t picked up as I hoped. 

My mate is a manwhore in Bangkok. Does quite well out of it. Charges 5k a pop and it's mostly blokes paying him to give their missus one whilst they watch (although he's got a couple of 'businesswomen' on his rosta too). You should hear some of his stories. Will have you in creases for hours. 

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, novacova said:

Speak for yourself. I’m certainly not in this bunch, as and many others I assume have no problem finding a girlfriend/wife or whatever anywhere on this planet. Unless of course one is socially challenged in that respect and needs to pay for their companionship or depend on language barriers to hide behind. 

What's the age gap with your current Thai? What was the age gap with your last western?

3 hours ago, novacova said:

What does that have anything to do with my statement? Irrelevant 

You claim you can get women in any country. Well of course anyone can. But the point is we are all here cuz we can get younger and hence more attractive women here than back home.

In fact if your woman here isn't hotter than the one you could get in farangland then you have sold yourself short.

Everyone has a market value and there isn't a man on Thailand whose value is higher back home than here. And that's why you, me and every other farang is here. (Exceptions notwithstanding)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, having made 15 trips there from the USA since 2004, what started as just a travel curiosity quickly became a more enlightened thing.  Love the beautiful ladies.  Love the general cost and availability of almost everything.  So much international food available as one wanders around a city such as Pattaya.  Love the Buddhist temples.  Love Buddhism basics in general.  Love the beaches when you get to a clean one.  Foot massages an almost daily event.  Such a great get away from hustle and bustle of my engineering jobs.  Love tropical plants.  Nightlife never was my big thing and still is not as I am not a drinker much at all. But I enjoy a lookie see now and then.  Thai ladies in general are just trying to have fun and make the best of their often limited opportunities. 

I like the mass transportation options.    I love baht buses in Pattaya.  What a great way to get around if one is not carrying much and is not in a hurry.  I love watching and seeing things without having to concentrate on driving.

Looking forward to some extended visits now as I coast into semi retirement.

Edited by gk10012001
  • Like 1