Ukrainians and Russians rally in Patong against war in Ukraine

snoop1130

Such protest events have been held multiple times in Georgia where they are of course much bigger and involve actual speakers. I think foreigners protesting is illegal in Thailand and much as I like to see that, I think they'd be better off respecting local laws. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The demonstrators held placards with slogans in English and Russian,

Well I have seen bigger signs for people being met at the airport, but I would like to think many Russians who are here oppose the war and invasion. There should be little doubt that Ukrainians do! 

Sadly I doubt Mr Adolph Putin will hear much about this.....and sentiment back in Russia, appears to support him, go figure. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Why would any Thais join? Thais are better at minding their own business than western folk.

The protests are being held in their country and the stereotypical image of Thais being uninterested in world affairs isn't actually true.

Edited by ozimoron

Putin without a doubt is a tyrant, but he has his reasons for sticking with the "war", namely being disgraced and thrown out of power.

But he is not a madman, and will not resort to nuclear power, knowing that it will eliminate his nation in a matter of minutes.

5 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Putin without a doubt is a tyrant, but he has his reasons for sticking with the "war", namely being disgraced and thrown out of power.

But he is not a madman, and will not resort to nuclear power, knowing that it will eliminate his nation in a matter of minutes.

I don't think it really matters whether Putin meets the definition of "mad man" or not. 

You are definitely correct that Putin fears losing power and also his life if he can't paint the outcome in Ukraine in some way as a victory.

I agree Putin has no desire or intention to use nukes and I agree it is unlikely that he will.

He bluffs a lot and it works out for him well by giving fuel to the isolationists in the west who are ready to cave to him under nuclear threats.

But where I disagree with you is your certainty, 

I think we are the highest risk of nuclear war since the Cuban crisis and that was very close to happening. 

I think Putin very well MIGHT use a smaller nuke on a concentration of Ukrainians gathering to retake Crimea. For Putin losing Crimea means losing the war completely and almost certain death of himself. He knows all about window flying accidents. For Putin, Putin is Russia, so losing Crimea is an existential threat to Russia (his own sorry ass). 

Start with one nuke and then the war MUST escalate from that, which means of course a possible or even probably full nuclear war.

The risk of this can't be quantified but it is real and even if it's one percent that is way too much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think it really matters whether Putin meets the definition of "mad man" or not. 

You are definitely correct that Putin fears losing power and also his life if he can't paint the outcome in Ukraine in some way as a victory.

I agree Putin has no desire or intention to use nukes and I agree it is unlikely that he will.

He bluffs a lot and it works out for him well by giving fuel to the isolationists in the west who are ready to cave to him under nuclear threats.

But where I disagree with you is your certainty, 

I think we are the highest risk of nuclear war since the Cuban crisis and that was very close to happening. 

I think Putin very well MIGHT use a smaller nuke on a concentration of Ukrainians gathering to retake Crimea. For Putin losing Crimea means losing the war completely and almost certain death of himself. He knows all about window flying accidents. For Putin, Putin is Russia, so losing Crimea is an existential threat to Russia (his own sorry ass). 

Start with one nuke and then the war MUST escalate from that, which means of course a possible or even probably full nuclear war.

The risk of this can't be quantified but it is real and even if it's one percent that is way too much!

Let us hope that the speculation about Putin's declining health are fake news, otherwise he might be thinking that he has little to lose.......

11 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Let us hope that the speculation about Putin's declining health are fake news, otherwise he might be thinking that he has little to lose.......

Yes and No.

There is always the hope that fellow Kremliniks will sense his weakness and send him out to pasture. 

But then we have the problem of who replaces him. Could be worse!

18 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Unfortunately, most Russians believe the disinformation they're fed by their media and support the war and there are probably not that many Ukrainians in Phuket but yes it's good to see Russians who can see through the propaganda side-by-side with Ukrainians.

In almost any war there were only defender, the Germans defended themself the same as the Americans defended themself in Vietnam or in Iraq. Propaganda on both sides and the first thing that dies in a war is the truth.