Why Thailand has attracted more foreign tourists than Vietnam

snoop1130

As for myself lm in Vietnam Now !,Its Visa runs monthly expensive each month HCMC & back pain in the as_$127 US via visa company,  lm heading back Philippines May up to 3 year renewal tourist visa 1st month free , extending 2 months = $60 US after move back onto 6 monthly visas o closest local immigration office island you reside fast cheap , no need put 800k Thai baht in bank account,  keep your money home country Big bonus English 2nd language same cost of living rent utilities etc,. Down side local Food is lousy,  fresh produce not or no where as good as Thai or Vn infrastructure,  but after residing all 3 countries prior Philippines is for me Visa access retired will go back live 7000+ Islands no shortage of beaches local girls nice easy talk with ( not talking about bar girls ) people are good WiFi up & down as you expect 7000+ island to service occasionally brown outs , As far living beach life suits me  Philippines where will stay ! Thai red tape for expats pain Philippines want you , go where lm wanted to stay upto 3 years on tourist visas renewal inside only leave 1 day every 3 years or if marry local Filipina can stay forever on marriage visa hassle free Bye Bye Vn on 2nd May back Philippines to stay ..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand hasn't had that luxury???? Thailand does not want any involvement from foreign countries in the past, present, and future....If there was an occupation by foreign countries, Thailand would be  very different...But now it can't go forward as they are stuck in the old fashion ways and unwillingness to change

They'll be going forward, just not dependent on US/EU/UK/NATO nations. 

BRICS & ASEAN, and learning Chinese will get you further, as a Thai than learning English.  Think TH has realized, tourist ฿฿฿ is nice, but something you can't depend on.

Commerce & trading partners takes the priority, for every day, month, yearly income, not hit & miss seasonal tourism, that drops with every other year's news-blip.

Edited by KhunLA

23 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand hasn't had that luxury???? Thailand does not want any involvement from foreign countries in the past, present, and future....

In the 30s about 12% of the population of Thailand were Chinese nationals, I would doubt any occupation has reached that level of involvement.

Yet expats still question the affinity between Thailand and China.

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

English language proficiency is almost certainly a throw back to earlier occupation by the US, the same is true of Malaysia and Burma and its UK roots. Thailand hasn't had that luxury. 

So many confused readers. Countries that are occupied by another country tend to adopt the language of that country, at least partially. Which is why French is widely spoken in North Vietnam, etc etc 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

English language proficiency is almost certainly a throw back to earlier occupation by the US, the same is true of Malaysia and Burma and its UK roots. Thailand hasn't had that luxury. 

While I do think that foreign influence explains why these countries are a lot warmer to the idea of foreigners being in their country, and are aware of the benefit that they can provide, I don't think it quite holds true for English ability in Vietnam.

Obviously attitude to foreigners is going to be part of it, but if you mean it is like the Philippines where English is like a second language, I think the fact that the North were very anti-foreigner, literally drove the Americans out of the South, were ideologically anti-West/anti-capitalist in the time following, yet still have a good level of English and desire to improve disagrees.

I think it's more an issue of "Thai Supremacy" which is fairly pervasive in Thailand. There is more than a hint of a "Why should we speak some foreign language? Why should we listen to foreigners? We are Thais!" kind of attitude.

It's a shame because I think this holds Thailand back in many ways. Not least the progressive ideals that some of the youth seem to want to adopt. It has some advantages also, of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

So many confused readers. Countries that are occupied by another country tend to adopt the language of that country, at least partially. Which is why French is widely spoken in North Vietnam, etc etc

So why is English so widely spoken in North Vietnam?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

So why is English so widely spoken in North Vietnam?

Probably because French was largely superceded by English learned from the Americans in the south, after the French left, unsure. I dunno what's taught on schools there these days.

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand hasn't had that luxury???? Thailand does not want any involvement from foreign countries in the past, present, and future....If there was an occupation by foreign countries, Thailand would be  very different...But now it can't go forward as they are stuck in the old fashion ways and unwillingness to change

My use of the word luxury was sarcasm! That said, n we're both saying the same thing, it might have been better if they had been.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

I have no data but I suspect Thailand rates higher for the total numbers of easily available  'entertainment' girls. 

12 years ago I arrived HCM with three females one evening. After I unpacked before everyone I decided to go out to the street. Within a minute a bike with a girl on back ask me if I was interested.

I brought it up as  it was so quick.

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

So everybody living in Thailand who is under 50 got married in order to obtain a visa???

If that's how you want to read it ... although, use of 'them folks ... And that's a lot' isn't all inclusive of <50 yr olds, unless you read that way.   UP2U

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As a Brit I get 14 days waiver on arrival.

As a Brit myself, and with respect, I get 15 days.

For reference, the list of countries which get "visa free" entry to Vietnam (USA, China, Australia and New Zealand are not listed)

No. Country Maximum visa-free duration Applicable purpose of visit (if any)
1 Chile 90 days Entries that do not include remunerated activities
2 Panama 90 days Entries that do not include remunerated activities
3 Cambodia 30 days Not mentioned
4 Indonesia 30 days Not mentioned
5 Kyrgyzstan 30 days Not mentioned
6 Laos 30 days Not mentioned
7 Malaysia 30 days Tourism, attending press, conference/coverage, official duty, visiting relatives, business negotiation, investment, sports, or attending seminars or conferences
8 Singapore 30 days Entries that do not include remunerated activities
9 Thailand 30 days Not mentioned
10 Philippines 21 days Not mentioned
11 Brunei 14 days Not mentioned
12 Myanmar 14 days Visiting only
13 Belarus 15 days Not mentioned
14 Denmark 15 days Not mentioned
15 Finland 15 days Not mentioned
13 France 15 days Not mentioned
17 Germany 15 days Not mentioned
18 Italy 15 days Not mentioned
19 Japan 15 days Not mentioned
20 Norway 15 days Not mentioned
21 Russia 15 days Not mentioned
22 South Korea 15 days Not mentioned
23 Spain 15 days Not mentioned
24 Sweden 15 days Not mentioned
25 United Kingdom (Not applicable to BNO)

15 days

UK BN(O) citizens are permanent residents of Hong Kong who were British Overseas Territories citizens (formerly British Dependent Territories citizens) until 30 June 1997, and chose to remain British by registering for BN(O) citizenship when Hong Kong was a British overseas territory.

https://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption/

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

If you are looking for a concrete jungle and easy women, Thailand.  That is what Thailand pushes. 

If you are looking to retire?  Thailand has to be the last on my list.

Thailand is a 3-6 month destination. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1