Phuket authorities introduce “red card” system for foreigners who break the law

webfact

Thailand wants to promote a vibrant and positive Thai Tourism approach to the world, however junior officials keep stepping up and changes laws,  rules, and making outlandish comments to the public.  This is not the way to promote tourism; constantly changing rules through media is confusing at best for Travelers new and old to Thailand.   

The top officials that DO make the laws/rules need to rein-in and put a gag order on those "junior officials and stop them from making any decisions or comments to the public.  Though, this may be a good idea, it needs to be kept internal and presented through the chain-of-command for consideration of creating the rule or law.

Until the lawmakers do this, some tourists, especially first-time tourists, will look at this calamity and just go elsewhere because they don't want any problems on their vacations.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Seems fair to me. Break the law get a warning. Do it again....

Most of the known world knows about yellow and red cards. 

Seems rather arbitrary. Is breaking the law jaywalking? Urinating behind a bush in a park? There should be some established threshold. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In a long list of incredibly dumb things that I've read online recently, this is the dumbest of them all.

Don't forget - we're all tourists even if we've been here a very long time.

On a diplomatic level immediate reciprocity should be introduced around the world.

There's no way countries will accept the inevitable torrent of deportation for misdemeanours without retaliation.

Also, they're going to notify the Embassy for a yellow card? What? Why?

The Embassy aren't going to give a shi.

Edited by ukrules
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One wonders if Prasansuk is attempting to pick up the mantle of the big joke, left vacated when he was fired as immigration boss, some time ago. Will he become the new foreigner hating guy at immigration?

This seems an extreme thing to do. I would understand red cards for known felons, or people committing serious acts of malfeasance. However, no one knows where the bar will be set, and this program would be ripe for abuse, and just more corruption. Same old, same old. Just new opportunities. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The problem I see is this "law" will be implemented with great prejudice. Things like visiting a house of ill repute to be with unclean women or men is clearly illegal yet happens everywhere.

Not sure about 'unclean women' where ever I go they insist on a shower before and after (sometimes during).

4 hours ago, whitefarang said:

I believe that Thai law applies to everyone in Thailand . For that reason alone Thais should be given cards as well  . According to my opinion .....Just plain discrimination this one !

Bit of a stupid opinion. Of course Thai law applies to everyone, but Thais cannot be deported or refused entry.

Only the delusional would prefer the Bangkok Hilton to a red card.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Long overdue please make it national and thin out the thousands that should have never been allowed to enter in the first place.

You know I thought the same until I got down to the snitching app. In addition why can't it apply to Thai especially the helmets. Instead of deportation how about jail. Everyone would wear a helmet then. In addition never been to a country where laws are not applied equally 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Yet again the lazy bar stewards are asking the public to do their job, instead of getting off their bottoms and actually patrolling.

If someone breaks the law fine them, put them in the Phuket Hilton if warranted and deport the Muppets, no need to flash cards around or should the victim ask for VAR review.

Complete keystone cops stuff from the BiB 

• Thumbs Up 1

How about prosecuting the Thais who rent them motorbikes without checking they have a motorbike licence and taking a copy?  

Whoops! That would reduce bribe income from the rental shops and the unlicensed foreing motorcyclists.

Also no crackdown on Thais committing similar driving misdemeanours.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I have an opinion on this.

Pieces of camel dung.

Quit Pro Quo.

And UK starts deporting the Thai prostitutes who marry gullible Brits and then divorce them as soon as they gain UK residency. 

They then resort to growing weed, using massage as a " front" to sell sex etc.

Let's throw them out of the UK.

They will have get in line, all the illegals arriving in boats will be a problem for the next few years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Problem is that I see a lot of locals who see 'breaking laws' as an Olympic discipline. Will they also get red and yellow cards? 

well, that's the difference. guests you can tell to f off. how hard to understand. 

in Germany asylum seekers can be declined, rape or commit numerous other violent crimes and still stay, live on social welfare and don't get deported. nice. 

So, does that mean the foreigners who never break the law, have a valid driving license, ALWAYS wear helmets, follow good driving practices, and help others when needed, will get a "green card" that comes with extra privileges? Maybe like a "nice economic contributor" visa? LOL.
Sure. Punish the criminals, but reward upstanding residents!

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the Phukhet authorities will be appointing a falang experienced in the issuance of red and yellow cards to be the regulator of this system, at quite a substantial remuneration.

My sources have informed me that there is a short-list of 3, whose names apparently are:

Mr H. Webb

Mr M Dean

and

Mr M Clattenburg.

1 hour ago, malone99 said:

well, that's the difference. guests you can tell to f off. how hard to understand. 

in Germany asylum seekers can be declined, rape or commit numerous other violent crimes and still stay, live on social welfare and don't get deported. nice. 

A mite over the top methinks.

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It was a reference to someone suggesting that Phuket clean their own house .

Tourists should not visit other countries or places (Phuket) and expect to fragrantly break the laws without consequence. 

I have to tread carefully here lest I break my 2023 resolution for not arguing with idiots on asinine now.

please advise how one can break the law smelling nice? I think you meant to type flagrantly.

Edited by TigerandDog
spelling correction
  • Haha 1