Chang Wattana Annual Extension - heads up guys. Important!

I've always found that two visits are necessary when dealing with Thai bureaucracy: the first to find out what you need, and; the second to submit your application in accordance with the nuances of the day. 

Getting upset with officials, while tempting, usually results in even more running around and scrutiny. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

IMHO this thread is yet more evidence, if we really needed it, that CW regard themselves as serious contenders for the 2023 Rogue Immigration Office Of The Year award!

Isn't this the normal requirement at most immigration offices?  Seems they may be going mainstream.  

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How many hours is round trip from your joint to immigration office? 

They couldn't care less though, so my 'two visits to get it done' rule still applies. Getting upset with them might push this our to three or four visits, they'll play with you until you remember your manners.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:39 PM, soi3eddie said:

when I got barked at by female IO for printing a scan of passport rather than a photocopy. 

Naughty boy!  ????

The folks at BKK CW definitely don't seem to like (or accept) scanned and printed copies of things, as opposed to traditional machine generated photocopies.

I found that out, the hard way, in the past.

So, for those who may not have read all the way thru the entire thread, several members posting above have now clarified that the two copies policy at BKK CW is ONLY applying to MARRIAGE extension applications.

And NOT retirement extension applications.... FYI.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, TaoNow said:

Indeed, I keep multiple copies of these documents on hand in any case when I visit Immo.

Same, I have even dozens of visa pictures with different background colors and sizes. Then a folder with 5-10 copies of every document, I usually just have to make the copies of the most recent visa page or stamp etc only.

I basically have copies of anything that could be interesting for multiple countries, but it is mainly for Thailand. These unexpected copies always set you back hours + dozens of queue numbers, and usually it is many who need it, making my extensions faster lol.

When in Rome do as the Romans do. They like papers, I bring papers.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was there yesterday for retirement, I had booked so it just took the advertised one hour.  Your outburst must have done some good because one copy of each was all that I needed. The changes I noticed were, A “helper”, a big girl with a desk whose job it is to check the paperwork before the next check. That is probably where you got screwed. She required a map also and when I said that “Immigration knew more about me than I “ she finished it off for me “knew myself”!  It is Empire building or a make work project so she was probably the one picturised after your outburst. 
I don’t think that Immigration can endure with their vast overmanning and makework projects in the modern era where computers are duplicating everything they do. Take the LAW that a “housemaster” is to report a foreigner in their home for example, they have made the visitor responsible for that now with four desks taking reports which entails queueing I don’t doubt. 
I notice that some of us take ninety day report receipt along and a map of their street along, I bet that neither is given more of a glance sufficient to discover that they can be tossed aside.  
This is the sixteenth time that I have made the same reports where only the dates bank balance have changed. Imagine the savings that could be made on the wasted reams of paper but then what to do with all the staff. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Naughty boy!  ????

The folks at BKK CW definitely don't seem to like (or accept) scanned and printed copies of things, as opposed to traditional machine generated photocopies.

I found that out, the hard way, in the past.

I have not had any such issue at CW and have been using scanner to print everything for many years.  Expect it was just some and in the past (when color copies were rare).

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Your outburst must have done some good because one copy of each was all that I needed.

See:

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, for those who may not have read all the way thru the entire thread, several members posting above have now clarified that the two copies policy at BKK CW is ONLY applying to MARRIAGE extension applications.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Anyone had to show their TM30 slip?

TM30 receipt and TM47 receipt have been part of package for retirement at CW last 3 years in my experience - last year made copies myself and included but previous two years they removed from passport and copied.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

TM30 receipt and TM47 receipt have been part of package for retirement at CW last 3 years in my experience - last year made copies myself and included but previous two years they removed from passport and copied.

Interesting, so far they (different officers/desks) have never asked me for TM30 slip (always had it with me) since 2020 (?). Gave them signed copy of TM47 every year after I think 2018 when IO printed one out for me to sign. Maybe giving them the TM47 which would require TM30 filed, made them feel no need to ask for TM30.

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I was there yesterday for retirement, I had booked so it just took the advertised one hour.  Your outburst must have done some good because one copy of each was all that I needed. The changes I noticed were, A “helper”, a big girl with a desk whose job it is to check the paperwork before the next check. That is probably where you got screwed. 

Would that be the "big girl ladyboy" helper? He/she/it (choose appropriate pronoun) has worked there for a  number of years and yes, that was the recipient of my ire. Noticed my I.O had a trainee helper who was frankly gorgeous and friendly - sigh!!!!! 

Apart from a load of black 2nd copies hurriedly obtained by my beloved downstairs and their own forms all of my package as has been the result of a scanner/printer at home and have been accepted since I started in 2015. The ONLY one arguing about photoio-copying and not scanning in full hi-res colour has been my wife!

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

TM30 receipt and TM47 receipt have been part of package for retirement at CW last 3 years in my experience

Been doing extensions based on retirement for 10 years.

Both items that you mention have never been required.

However last extension at CW asked for tm47.

Many folk provide stuff and when accepted think it's a requirement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As we've discussed here before, the issue of whether IOs at BKK CW want copies of TM30 and TM47 receipts seems to be hit and miss. Dunno if it varies by officer and/or varies by time with whomever's in charge at the time.

For my own experience, I think the past two years I haven't been asked for either when doing my retirement extensions (my most recent visit last fall predating the recent Chinese/IO scandal), although I had brought copies of both with me, just in case.

But the year before that, about 3 years back now, I was asked for both and hadn't included them in my submitted paperwork, because I don't think I'd ever been asked for them before, up to that point. Fortunately, I had the originals of both with me in my passport, and was able to make the requested copies.

YMMV.

That's why, as someone advised above, I always tend to carefully read these kinds of threads in the couple months prior to my annual IO visit, to try to get some feel of which way the winds are blowing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno if it varies by officer and/or varies by time with whomever's in charge at the time.

Seems they are very keen on TM30's right now - maybe following on from Region 4 and 5 antics - suspect agents have been using one address for multiple applications. Not sure how, but I have the feeling it is about verifying that the address and ownership are real, and that you live there.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

They removed from passport and copied on their own in 20 and 21 - I only supplied in 22 because of that.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They removed from passport and copied on their own in 20 and 21 - I only supplied in 22 because of that.

Fine 

Lived here 10 years on extensions based on retirement.

BTW I have never ever made a TM30 or provided for for extension or certificate of residence or whatever. 

Last extension they wanted TM47.

Basically it's a stuffed up country re technology.

Then on top of that every immigration office makes up their own rubbish. 

Quite ridiculous really 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Resident Alien said:

Maybe this forum is where people are informed and notified about changes in requirements.

It is probably true that this forum is a more reliable source of up to date information on immigration matters than the immigration website. However, it is unrealistic to expect foreigners to know that, or even that this forum exists. Should we be pushing for the Immigration Bureau to add a prominent banner to their home page to the effect that for up to date information on current practices, foreigners should refer to aseannow.com? How likely do you think it is that Immigration would respond positively to such a suggestion?

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Should we be pushing for the Immigration Bureau to add a prominent banner to their home page to the effect that for up to date information on current practices, foreigners should refer to aseannow.com?

You take it too seriously.

Great idea though.

A bit off topic, but what is required for re-entry permit?. From memory just the usual passport pages and the completed form, or are they now asking for updated bank book, TM30, whatever?

I understand they now have a queuing system and take your photo. Getting very "Freudian" over there at CW.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, ozfarang said:

Agents in Thailand smooth the way through the bureaucratic nightmare that is common to many government departments in LOS

Dealt with a number of them, including Immigration yearly, never suffered any nightmare. All went smoothly, if sometimes a little slowly owing to crowded, once I knew the system, met the requirements, and came prepared. I bring my tablet and surf around, read, or listen to music while waiting. Comfortable enough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, mokwit said:

Interesting, so far they (different officers/desks) have never asked me for TM30 slip (always had it with me) since 2020 (?). Gave them signed copy of TM47 every year after I think 2018 when IO printed one out for me to sign. Maybe giving them the TM47 which would require TM30 filed, made them feel no need to ask for TM30.

Got told needed a TM30 for CW retirement extension this time.

Not asked for at initial document check, but when I came back from the doc check after being sent there the IO who sent me there, she told me I needed TM30 and very nicely offered to show me where to do it (the assumption of course that i had the required docs). Told her I had one and she left it at that. IO who did the actual extension accepted my photocopy without asking to see original - checked both this and TM47 against what was in the system.

The starting point seems to be having proof that you reside at an address via TM30.