I thought healthcare in Thailand was supposed to be cheap?

Startmeup

20 minutes ago, superal said:

Recently I went to a local eye doctors surgery who works in the local gov; hospital

In other words you visited a private facility - not a government hospital - and got there price as an outside price from that facility - who will actually use government hospital to do the operation?

Edited by lopburi3

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I think dentist here are crooks. 

Some of them perhaps but most of them set out their prices very clearly. A few years back while on holiday my wife lost her front tooth and went to Chiang Mai's reputedly most expensive dental clinic. They (the dental surgeon and the dental technician) spent one and a half hours trying to resolve the problem and explaining to her exactly what was wrong - then said no charge - we haven't been able to help.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

With root canals you need to specify what the price includes. Rot canal only? Or also post? Crown? (for sure price you quote, and OP's mention, would nto include crown).

Thai dental care is comparatively cheap only for the labor costs. Where prosthetic materials are involved (crown, implant) these are often as costly as in the west as often imported.

Screenshot_2023-03-03-12-44-55-642_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Don't use the expensive hospitals!

Yes indeed. As an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic, I could never get medical/health insurance so the Ram and Bangkok hospitals were never an option (they like private patients with insurance to pay their exorbitant fees). For all my tests, treatment and medication (including insulin) I used my local Government Hospital, the only disadvantage being the waiting time. For unrelated surgery during my 20 years in Thailand, I used excellent, inexpensive private hospitals in Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen funded by myself.  

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sheryl.  Are you suggesting that Vietnam is a viable alternative to have surgical procedures?

It is,  but I think less English speaking especially among older doctors and not many trained in Western countries so not as used to western expectations  

India (private hospitals) is probably the best option if willing to travel for care.  Top tier private hospital cost similar to cost in a government hospital here and far less for certain things iike ortho operations with instrumentalization and CT, MRI, PET scans.  

Viet Nam is not set up for medical tourism whereas India is. Doesn't mean one can't get treated there but it won't be as convenient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Screenshot_2023-03-03-12-44-55-642_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

That is very cheap - and have no knowledge of facility or doctor - but have had less than good doctors and facilities and more dust blowing than air.  Can only imagine conditions of instruments put in my mouth.  

Edited by lopburi3

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is very cheap - and have no knowledge of facility or doctor - but have had less than good doctors and facilities and more dust blowing than air.  Can only imagine conditions of instruments put in my mouth.  

That one is excellent, highly regarded in Pattaya and very busy. Less busy less good places tend to charge more

From my experience every medical and dental service I have had in Chiang Mai has been substantially cheaper than back in the US.

1. Dental Implants and Crowns (55,000 Baht or $1590). I once paid almost $8,000 for the same.  

2. Endoscopy with pathology(17,000 Baht or $488). I paid almost $3000 for the same.

3. Endoscopy with Colonoscopy (39,000 Baht or $1,120).  I was quoted almost $7,000 for the same.

4. Full lIpid panel blood test with glucose level (1200 Baht or $35). I once paid $100 for the same.

*The US prices were with medical insurance but i always had high deductibles to get the lowest premium. 

All these services were completed at Chiang Mai Ram.  My belief is everyone will have a different experience.  So far I have had one negative experience at Ram when I had a cyst removed from my back.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I live out in the sticks and believe me they are overpriced. This is due to seeing a farang and knowing it's expected farangs to get charged more. Just finished my treatment yesterday and I'm pretty P'd off with the service I got.

Went to the dentist in BKK as i had a terrible tooth ache. Asked for x-ray and if it was a mess he could take it out. He took 2 x-rays and said nothing wrong with your tooth, let me check your blood pressure. Was over 180, as i already bought some antibiotics he said up the amount the pharmacist told you for day 1 and go see a doctor for blood pressure pills. Charged me less than 500 THB.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

A few years back while on holiday my wife lost her front tooth and went to Chiang Mai's reputedly most expensive dental clinic. 

Which clinic is that?

Do you recall the dental surgeon's name?

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In other words you visited a private facility - not a government hospital - and got there price as an outside price from that facility - who will actually use government hospital to do the operation?

Private surgery but the doctor quoted me for her to do the operation in the local gov; hospital under local hospital fees . She does not do ops in her surgery , I went for an eye test initially .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Vietnam is being totally incompetent for not promoting the country for medicql tourism.

I think my Endoscopy/Colonoscopy was a few hundred at a good private hospital - will check and post again.

(I'm assuming it's a lot more here - maybe not?).

Private hospital in Vietnam:

CBC;

PT (Prothrombin Time):

Heart Lung X-ray;

ECG;

Colorectoscopy with general anesthesia without biopsy;

Endoscopy without biopsy;

5 medications;

Follow up consultation.

Total cost - Just under $300 USD.

They took one sample and gave me the option which I opted for to test it:

Just under $50 USD.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I think dentist here are crooks. 

Ones in Hospitals tend to do things not needed, famous one off Suk charged me 6k for one front filling once! Went to private hospital on wed, what annoys me about them is they always over prescribe and half the medicine is not needed and costs 5x what it does in a pharmacy. They used to let you check what it was before paying so you could get the name then get it outside, now you pay first before getting the bag of goodies. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Ones in Hospitals tend to do things not needed, famous one off Suk charged me 6k for one front filling once! Went to private hospital on wed, what annoys me about them is they always over prescribe and half the medicine is not needed and costs 5x what it does in a pharmacy. They used to let you check what it was before paying so you could get the name then get it outside, now you pay first before getting the bag of goodies. 

Not my experience at all - doctors prescribe in consulation with patient - you have the final say.  Costs at hospital can be high but have never seen 5x on anyting but maybe cheapest drugs.  My hospital charges about 1.5 pharmacy and another hispital I used about 2 times (both major Bangkok hospitals).  Doctors ask if what meds from hospital or buy at pharmacy.  And you always can request a detailed receipt at cashier before paying and remove any medications you do not want.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Some hospitals are really very expensive. But see it positively. In the end you save money. Funerals are very cheap here.

Especially if your Mrs takes out Life Insurance on you. Mine views it as a funeral plan! I'm indirectly paying my own monthly premiums of course. Determined to survive the 20 year term and collect refund of all my premiums paid plus bonus.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not my experience at all - doctors prescribe in consulation with patient - you have the final say.  Costs at hospital can be high but have never seen 5x on anyting but maybe cheapest drugs.  My hospital charges about 1.5 pharmacy and another hispital I used about 2 times (both major Bangkok hospitals).  Doctors ask if what meds from hospital or buy at pharmacy.  And you always can request a detailed receipt at cashier before paying and remove any medications you do not want.

what is your hospital?, probably not in Bangkok. 2k baht for meds, 450 baht at pharmacy, checked today

Edited by proton
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

what is your hospital?, probably not in Bangkok. 

Both in Bangkok - Vejthani and Bangkok hospitals.  But you are always free to decline medications and buy elsewhere and without insurance that would be a normal process at any but government hospital.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

what is your hospital?, probably not in Bangkok. 2k baht for meds, 450 baht at pharmacy, checked today

Except for controlled drugs  no rrmeason to buy medications at a hospital.  

When you consult doctor find out exactly what he is prescribing. Name dose etc. 

On arrival at cashier tell them you do not need the medications. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is,  but I think less English speaking especially among older doctors and not many trained in Western vountries so not as used to western expectations  

India (private hospitals) is probably the best option if willing to travel for care.  Top tier private hospital cost similar to cost in a government hospital here and far less for certain things iike ottho operations with instrumentalization and CT, MRI, PET scans.  

Viet Nam is not set up for medicsl tourism whereas India is. Doesn't mean one can't get treated there but it won't be as convenient. 

I was in Da Nang, the 3rd (more or less) largest city.

There are 3 major private hospitals there:

Family;

Hoan My;

Vinmec.

They all have an International Department.

I used all 3.

My experience was that they are on a par with Bangkok Chiang Mai and Ram.

As far as not speaking English, in general it was not a problem but even if they told me "Yes, the Doctor speaks English" I would ask for a Translator/Nurse Helper to be there.

But it was rare if the translator in Vietnam was actually needed, and several times they took off once it was clear that the Dr. and I could communicate in English.

As you mention, I recall one older Dr. in Vietnam where a translator was fully necessary, perhaps 2, perhaps one younger Dr. 

But the translators took care of that issue.

In CM, the 2 people at the International desk take care of translating if needed, and at Bangkok CM I don't know.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever insisted on having an English speaking translator at the 2 CM Hospitals.

In Da Nang, Family had at least 4 Nurses/Nurse Helpers with very good English and I would always make sure I could get one to come with me just in case.

(They had an American GP working there for awhile).

At Hoan My I found one when I first went there and would always have her come with me.

Vinmec had 2, both had excellent English. I had 1 accompany me most of the time, but I don't think it was ever necessary.

Vinmec was a bit more expensive than the other 2 and newer, more like Bangkok CM here vs. Ram.

I don't think I ever asked for a translator in CM so English is more of an issue at the Vietnam hospitals but it was always overcome without it creating much of a problem.

As far as Vietnam not being set up for medical tourism, I don't know exactly what you mean so can't agree or disagree.

Edited by JimmyJ

I visit Thailand once or twice a year (Covid excepted), but apart from going to a dermatologist for skin checks (still more than 50% cheaper than the same service in Melbourne), I get all my medical and dental work done in Australia. 

I did have one dental implant + crown done in Chiang Mai and that cost $A3,000. My next two were in Melbourne, and cost the same, but I could claim insurance on them, so I ended up paying just over $1,000 per implant + crown. Another big advantage apart from cost: my dentist in Melbourne guarantees his work (replacement or refund if an implant fails) – I'm not sure how many Thai dentists guarantee their work (although to be fair, my Thai dental implant hasn't given me any trouble). Plus I wasn't impressed when the dental assistants in the Chiang Mai practice stayed in the room when they were taking x-rays. If they care so little about their own health and safety, how much do they care about mine? Not saying this is representative of all Thai dentists, but it was my experience. 

As for medical services, I can access local networks in Australia that tell me where the better doctors are, which makes me more confident about the treatment I get.

Each to his own, I guess. For me, Australia works out as a better deal.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Except for controlled drugs  no rrmeason to buy medications at a hospital.  

When you consult doctor find out exactly what he is prescribing. Name dose etc. 

On arrival at cashier tell them you do not need the medications. 

Did this once at Bumrungrad years ago, wanted 500 baht for iburprophehn, declined it and went across the road and got the same for 50 baht. Next time I'm going government hospital

3 hours ago, dundas said:

dermatologist for skin checks (still more than 50% cheaper than the same service in Melbourne)

You leave the place with the highest skin cancer rates in the world and the most experience to get a check carried out to the place with one of the lowest skin cancers rates in the world because you save $100? Yikes.

Edited by Startmeup

On 3/2/2023 at 6:51 PM, bkk6060 said:

I certainly would question your Bangkok quotes.  17,500 blood test for what? 

Many and varied not the yearly checkup BS which is the most basic of blood tests.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, internationalism said:

They come for price and quality.

Probably dentistry and cosmetic surgery for the most part.

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The private (Thai) hospital the OP is using to benchmark is known to be one of the most expensive, so ..... choose one of the most expensive Aus private hospitals to compare, not what it costs in the public system.

All quotes/work carried out was from private clinics in Australia. I got serval quotes in BKK. Many wouldn't quote likely because they want to lock you in and screw you (seems to be the general consensus Ive read on many forums), The prices I quoted were either the cheapest I got or the only quote I could get.

13 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Melanoma's require far more complex diagnosis and treatment

One melanoma and two pre melanoma can't remember the technical term all needed to be removed with urgency. $350 each. $180 for skin check and three biopsies. 

12 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

And when it comes to bloodtests, it is really NOT a good idea to use BKK hospital for bloodtests

I didn't I used a place called Bangkok Lab. Emailed at least 10 places and they either didn't do the test I wanted or were more expensive than where I went.

9 hours ago, superal said:

Not saying that I expect the same charge as a Thai but the whole business is a scam and discrimination

Probably changes from hospital to hospital. I spent a night at government hospital in Koh Chang and it's not a place I would like to be in a dodgy situation without speaking Thai or having the support of a trusted Thai local. I would think that's true fore the most part in all government hospitals. Was in government hospital in Buriram last year and that was an eye opener. Absolute rammed. 7 or 8 story car park wedged from about 8am in the morning in the hope to get seen on that day. Im sure most leave and hope they get luckier they next day. I figured out after about an hour we weren't going to get seen so left. 

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

cryotherapy (liquid Nitorgen) for 300 baht.

Ive asked many local clinics to do this. They all say need to go to hospital. Has this been your experience? 

• Like 1

Blood test example of what I have priced recently. Both private orders.

All those who say Im mad, show me where it can be done cheaper, Id love to be proven wrong. Same goes for Dexa scan. This is what im up against any time im looking for a blood test that is any ways out of the ordinary. Not to mention the one month waiting time for these results in Bangkok.

BKK 16,750 baht

Aus 11,000 baht

1.thumb.png.1d7d3338c953df41b4290cbe8c31ac0b.png

2.png.b475c34c7016b5a031c27b03ac1a9029.png

Edited by Startmeup
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

spent one and a half hours trying to resolve the problem and explaining to her exactly what was wrong - then said no charge - we haven't been able to help.

i was on vacation and had to go to emergency.

turned out not to be serious.

it took 10 minutes and they let me go and didn't charge me.

good luck getting into an emergency room in your home country without paying 1000 dollars.