Can you return to doing your own extension after using an agent outside of Bangkok?

Expats fit into two categories. The first are those that do their extensions by themselves.  They may have some help, but the process is what is described in Thai law. 

Then some only use agents.  Some of them, if not most, don't have the cash to qualify. If someone doesn't have 800,000b and uses an agent who facilitates the amount, it becomes clear that adhering to Thai Law isn't happening. 

If you are outside Bangkok, you only get approval once your documents are sent to Bangkok for approval.  You return 30 days later to get the proper extension stamp on your passport.  People who have paid agents could tell us here when you do the agent process and get your passport returned the same day, is there a 30-day under-consideration stamp and the proper extension stamp, or just the yearly extension stamp?

Here is the question:  You pay a visa agent in 2020 and decide to do it yourself in 2021.  Your last stamp is 2020 from Pattaya, and it is a full extension stamp on your passport.   You do not have an under-consideration stamp which is a stamp used for the time the documents go to Bangkok for approval. If you do your 2021 extension in Bangkok, they will know you did the last extension using an agent. 

Are any of you told that you must use an agent for all subsequent extensions?

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is a thread about Visa agents every 10 - 14 days.

Your question is usually discussed in them.

Do a search onsite and then with a 3rd party search engine.

You will find plenty of previous discussions.

EDIT - And now I see Dr Jack has answered succinctly above.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

I did take care of a Thai. 

Yup.

Then it's sent for approval to regional immigration headquarters, not to Bangkok.

Did you really use an agent for that kind of extension? That's much more rare and convoluted than using an agent for a retirement extension. Which is probably why some posters questioned the "under consideration" step.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Then it's sent for approval to regional immigration headquarters, not to Bangkok.

Did you really use an agent for that kind of extension? That's much more rare and convoluted than using an agent for a retirement extension. Which is probably why some posters questioned the "under consideration" step.

Also very much more expensive, and you only need 400k in the bank to go legit

5 hours ago, proton said:

Also very much more expensive, and you only need 400k in the bank to go legit

I bought gold with the other 400k used for the retirement extension. Plus, I only have to put 400k in the bank that day.  Once I get the letter, I can remove it. No seasoning. 

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

When an agent returns a passport with an extension stamp without an under consideration period, that indicates that the extension is most likely based on retirement (with or without financial proof). Some other kinds of extensions, rarely handled by agents, are also allowed without an under consideration step.

The under consideration period is required for marriage extensions, and also extensions based on Thai child. (Most agents avoid assisting with those kinds of extensions unless you meet all of the official requirements.) It is also needed when you are on a tourist entry (including visa exempt entry) and require a "conversion" to a 90-day Non Immigrant entry at Immigration before qualifying for a one-year extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It is also needed when you are on a tourist entry (including visa exempt entry) and require a "conversion" to a 90-day Non Immigrant entry at Immigration before qualifying for a one-year extension.

Thanks for confirming. Any thoughts on why they do that? Not a complaint, just curious ????

Had I known the amount of ball-busting these c&#$&$s in Immigration would do, I would have used the retirement method.  I met the requirements and got my extension, but the time and aggravation weren't worth it. This year I may pay the $300.00 to some agent to deal with it. 

I could have made 10 x that amount taking care of my USA clients rather than dealing with the rude women at Jomtien Immigration

I switched from using an agent to my own extension at CW in January. So long as the financials were in order there was no real issue, i had over 800k in the Thai account in my name for a full 12 months. They did ask whether I had come with anyone to do the extension (presumably asking was I with an agent) I said no but they asked had I come with someone the previous year to which I said yes. That was it. Everything was fine and I obtained the extension despite having used agents and having extensions from a range of different remote provinces! I had a TM30 with my Bangkok address in the system

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gilo said:

I switched from using an agent to my own extension at CW in January. So long as the financials were in order there was no real issue, i had over 800k in the Thai account in my name for a full 12 months. They did ask whether I had come with anyone to do the extension (presumably asking was I with an agent) I said no but they asked had I come with someone the previous year to which I said yes. That was it. Everything was fine and I obtained the extension despite having used agents and having extensions from a range of different remote provinces! I had a TM30 with my Bangkok address in the system

Chang Wattana is much more professional than what can be found in Pattaya.