UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For the record, this is a reply from Revolut in response to my asking them directly yesterday whether Revolut is available in Thailand...it is not...

Screenshot_20230325_064525_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

Lou, you're flogging a dead horse. Nobody's saying you can open an account using a Thai address. Thailand isn't on their list. This was pointed out days ago. If using a UK address is such anathema to you, then just leave it! Nobody's arguing with you...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I would suggest that you do it as I know, and have proved, that Revolut is not available currently for new accounts in Thailand based on a Thai phone number, not new accounts for people in Thailand pretending to be in the UK who may have UK credentials.  

Two days ago, I didn't have a Revolut account. Now I do. From Thailand, using a Thai phone number with UK address. Now I'm not arguing with anything you're saying! But I was able to do it. At no point did I pretend I was in the UK. They sent an authentication code to a Thai number and I gave a UK address. If I'd had to show that I was resident in the UK, I would have given up. I have played around a bit and for some change of details like Revolut tag etc. an authentication code has again been sent to my Thai phone. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had numerous discussions with financial institutes over the last three years so can confirm there has been a tightening of conditions. For example a form from a bank last year states on the permanent address section "No PO Box or in care address accepted" Please enclose utility bill no older than three months. Last months form states " No PO Box or in care address or mail forwarding address's accepted." Please enclose last council tax receipt.

Knowing nothing about council tax I did a little research and discovered that the tax is based on two people living at the address. Does this mean that if I declared I was living at a home with 2 people they could be charged with fraud as they are declaring tax for 2 people instead of three? Similarly if my mother who lives alone and receives the 25% discount, could she have problems if I stated her home as my UK address.

Regarding offshore banking the bank giving me the hardest time is based in Jersey.

40 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

I have had numerous discussions with financial institutes over the last three years so can confirm there has been a tightening of conditions. For example a form from a bank last year states on the permanent address section "No PO Box or in care address accepted" Please enclose utility bill no older than three months. Last months form states " No PO Box or in care address or mail forwarding address's accepted." Please enclose last council tax receipt.

Knowing nothing about council tax I did a little research and discovered that the tax is based on two people living at the address. Does this mean that if I declared I was living at a home with 2 people they could be charged with fraud as they are declaring tax for 2 people instead of three? Similarly if my mother who lives alone and receives the 25% discount, could she have problems if I stated her home as my UK address.

Regarding offshore banking the bank giving me the hardest time is based in Jersey.

This kind of situation has already been posted. 

As I understand it. 

Only 2 people in house need to pay council tax 3 or 4 more people no extra tax. 

Mother alone gets discounted if you have that as an address then then pay full council tax.

Any UK address best you get added to the annual vote listings.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For the record, this is a reply from Revolut in response to my asking them directly yesterday whether Revolut is available in Thailand...it is not...

Screenshot_20230325_064525_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

Well I use it every day and many of my friends in Thailand use it. 

I probably put down my mother's UK address when joining it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I mentioned earlier that to open NEW accounts in the Isle of Man or Channel islands, one needs one to be resident there.

If Barclay's (or any other mainland UK bank) haven't offered transferring to these jurisdictions as an alternative to account closure, it's probably because it's NOT an option.

thanks, my friend is looking into that option. I think the problem is, they want you to put up a significant amount as deposit. An alternative we're looking at is to apply to open an account at her mortgage company. Maybe this next bit is off topic: Government Pensions:  do you continue to qualify for your UK pension, if non resident? (aside: My wife got screwed over by the Danish Pension Office declaring her ineligible for pension  - despite having contributed to the Plan when she lived there). Despite being a nice race of people, and the country being high on the ''happiest' list - they are mean SOB's at government level. If you leave Denmark and decide to become a natauralized citizen in the country you move to, the government appears to be quite vengeful, over you surrendering your citizenship (you can't hold dual citizenship). . 

Edited by paddypower
spell

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

your friend has a property in UK
they can just simply use that as their address
banks are paperless these days

Yes, I have reviewed Barclays letter and it does appear to offer that option. However, my friend was telling me today that she also has pensions coming in from Uk govt and, possiby a provate pension plan. all I know is, for our dealings with our Canadian and Irish banks there's no problem. As my firne out it this morning ''(deleted) this - this (deleted)-ing Brexit. 

• Confused 1

There's a big positive with these negative account closure cases - they are returning your funds.

At least in the USA, it is not always that pleasant.

Do a Search for "Bank XYZ has had my account locked for months" and worse...

All types of accounts can encounter these problems.

So do what works for you, but do it cautiously, and recognize the potential dangers.

This may sound 'woke' to some posters on this forum but if banks in the UK apply the permanent address requirement to all customers how would some unfortunate sod in the UK who is homeless or 'couch surfing' receive benefits?

There are also many people in the UK who are in employment who have no permanent address.

1 minute ago, In the jungle said:

This may sound 'woke' to some posters on this forum but if banks in the UK apply the permanent address requirement to all customers how would some unfortunate sod in the UK who is homeless or 'couch surfing' receive benefits?

There are also many people in the UK who are in employment who have no permanent address.

They would already have a bank account, opened when they had an address 

6 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Being homeless and unemployed involves a tremendous amount of hard work.

Edited by JimmyJ

5 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

the

the postoffice pays out on a warrant its easy

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

The regulations are about residency. Most, but not all, banks interpret that as having a UK address. Shelter already suggest Starling and Monzo for people without a fixed address. (And they've already been recommended as an option in this situation as well.) 

On 3/23/2023 at 5:45 PM, Gaccha said:

That's quite interesting.

A charity for the homeless writes this:

Screenshot_20230323_174258_Opera.thumb.jpg.68c830991fd480c4ee6d2c2acb912d5b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

The regulations are about residency. Most, but not all, banks interpret that as having a UK address. Shelter already suggest Starling and Monzo for people without a fixed address. (And they've already been recommended as an option in this situation as well.) 

Thanks.  That is useful information.

A few years ago  Santander threatened to close a SAVINGs account I had, due to me making no transactions for a year, I was told to use my ATM card   (That I never even asked for)   by a certain date to avoid this . I chose instead to visit the bank personally, I gave the girl behind the counter (assistant manager) a pretty hard time,  she was very apologetic and at one point seemed almost close to tears lol    They have not bothered me since,    I have not been on the electoral register in the UK for about 30 years and  that has not been a problem re maintaining a bank account or obtaining a loan.  

Banks without exception seem to have difficulty remembering who their customers money actually belongs to, and would be better off putting their own house in order before making the lives of everyday folk more difficult. 

Personally I would rather visit the dentist for root canal work than deal with any of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I gave the girl behind the counter (assistant manager) a pretty hard time,  she was very apologetic and at one point seemed almost close to tears lol 

So this girl who will be earning about 23k per year as an assistant manager in a stressful (mostly sh tty) job, you almost brought her to tears?

I would suggest next time don't take it out on low paid branch staff who are just following company orders.

If you had nearly brought the Santander CEO to tears, fair enough. But ruining some poor girl's day / week in the branch is not 'lol' worthy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

A few years ago  Santander threatened to close a SAVINGs account I had, due to me making no transactions for a year, I was told to use my ATM card   (That I never even asked for)   by a certain date to avoid this . I chose instead to visit the bank personally, I gave the girl behind the counter (assistant manager) a pretty hard time,  she was very apologetic and at one point seemed almost close to tears lol   

Cowardly behaviour  there .

Would you have been so loud and abusive if you were down a dark alley thug or was you so brave because it was a female behind a counter and she couldn't retaliate back 
?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So this girl who will be earning about 23k per year as an assistant manager in a stressful (mostly sh tty) job, you almost brought her to tears?

I would suggest next time don't take it out on low paid branch staff who are just following company orders.

If you had nearly brought the Santander CEO to tears, fair enough. But ruining some poor girl's day / week in the branch is not 'lol' worthy. 

Actually she was a snotty nosed 45+ year old bitch with a chip on her shoulder a mile wide, what's it to you anyway

virtue signalling at its worst

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Cowardly behaviour  there .

Would you have been so loud and abusive if you were down a dark alley thug or was you so brave because it was a female behind a counter and she couldn't retaliate back 
?

Actually I was neither loud or abusive, 

As it happens I would rather have faced a thug in an alley than that bitch I was considering a formal complaint against her for her attitude but that's not my style

it was only when I threatened this that she changed tack

unfortunately i missed out the word  "eventually" very apologetic,,, in my post

Edited by Bday Prang

On 3/22/2023 at 4:42 AM, scubascuba3 said:

it's actually the "after effects" of them telling his bank he moved to Thailand 

Rarely that we agree Scuba but on this one we certainly do.....

Why people constantly red flag themselves is beyond me

This type of topic is a repeated similar style to many issues arising from burning bridges when moving to Thailand

(Yes I know thats not the issue per se on this thread)

Its the constant red flagging of yourselves by not maintaining GP's lists Dentists lists Churning £50 through UK banks etc etc etc

Dont burn your bridges lol because as the guy on this page of the thread said you never know when you just might need them again

• Thanks 1