Pattaya Police Holds Press Briefing into Massive Indian Scam Syndicate Bust

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Pattaya — Five Indian phone scammers and 15 Thai accomplices were arrested following a major scam bust yesterday across Thailand. The suspects swindled 365 American retirees out of over three billion baht, according to police.

The raids carried out by the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB), police commandos, and officials from the Anti-Money Laundering Office struck 36 premises in Chonburi, Rayong, Roi Et, and Surat Thani, and resulted in the arrest of over 20 phone scam suspects.

Pol. Gen. Torsak Sukwimol, deputy national police chief, told a press briefing today, March 22nd, that the suspects mainly targeted elderly American citizens and had tricked 365 people into transferring them three billion baht.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/03/22/update-pattaya-police-holds-press-briefing-into-massive-indian-scam-syndicate-bust/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-03-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Five Indian phone scammers and 15 Thai accomplices were arrested following a major scam bust yesterday across Thailand. The suspects swindled 365 American retirees out of over three billion baht, according to police.

Seems RTP have some serious competition.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The Indians being the masterminds and the Thais probably those who opened bank accounts and facilitated the movements of the money, this is a despicable crime fleecing people of their hard earned money and if it was up to me, i would made sure that those involved wouldn't see

sunlight for many years to come.

I have no sympathy at all for the victims.

It must have been some sort of get rich quick scheme im guessing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have watched a few Youtube videos about this topic but it is often a different overpaid refund scam. I don't know about others but I doubt I would take someone over the phone with the usually strong Indian accent seriously. 

ha ha for sure

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have watched a few Youtube videos about this topic but it is often a different overpaid refund scam. I don't know about others but I doubt I would take someone over the phone with the usually strong Indian accent seriously. 

these scams began when large firms outsourced their call center support to India, they have become quite cleaver at what they do - it is not unusual to have someone with an Indian accent on a call center, what they do is identify known customers of paid services/online shopping etc - they accumulate this personal information either from existing call center accounts or from the companies themselves were customer data is shared by planted employees or paid for with bribes, once they have this personal data they can then target mostly vulnerable elderly people and trick them through various methods to steal from them - huge sums are involved

I remember someone asking me about the number Indian eateries around pattaya that never seem to have customers - seems they have the answer 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

It must have been some sort of get rich quick scheme im guessing.

With respect, not at all.

For reference from international media:-

"The investigation dates back to last year, when US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Secret Service agents informed Thai police that Indian cyber criminals and Thai nationals had set up a phone scam network to trick elderly people in US into transferring money to them.............................The fraudsters, pretending to be US law-enforcement officials, preyed on the fear of their victims by telling them that they were being investigated for alleged money laundering. The callers then demanded that they transfer money into their “mule” accounts if they wanted to have the cases settled without further litigation..........................................................In some cases the victims were sent links containing viruses, which allowed the scammers to take control of their devices......................................................the gang used Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong (China), the United Arab Emirates, Peru and Poland as bases to receive money transfers"

Full story:-

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/thailand-arrests-phone-scam-gang-targeting-elderly-americans/250318.vnp

• Thanks 1

"The victims varied in occupations, such as doctors, university professors, dentists, military personnel, and business owners,"

You would think they would have more sense , Thai people phoning saying

they are FBI , Police , etc , or just as bad as Indians on the line ,and they could

not tell , 

Regards worgeordie

Lots of wealthy Indians showing off their bling these days in Thailand.

And as other poster observed, plenty of Indian businesses here looking very light on trade.  Then we have the large nightclubs added to the mix.  Plenty of ways to set up legitimate business fronts to hide their illicit activities and launder funds. Just like many other foreigners here. 

With relative immunity from prosecution in India (international victims means local prosecution near impossible as need individual victim statements, corrupt and disinterested police in India, whole office blocks running call scam centres, cheap labor), I can only guess Indians in Thailand are doing it to mix their profitable criminal activities with a raunchy, debaucherous, cash-splashing lifestyle on Thai Hookers, gold, condos, clubs, shops, cars and bikes in Pattaya and other red light places. 

Targeting elderly, many who get confused easily, respect authority, are gullible and very vulnerable - anyone not feeling sorry for these poor souls, you wait till you get the onset of mild dementia, or general cognitive decline, natural with aging for most. Plus most were born in an era where they didn't gain tech savvy skills. 

I've helped a few elder expats here with text and other media scams after they've asked about messages they've received and stopped some getting fleeced.  

Easy for me to sit on the high horse and call them out as stupid and deserving of losing their life savings if being fleeced, and therefore almost condoning the scum criminals, but I am not a narcissist/sociopath, crook, or ex-con as I dare say some here are (and statistically there obviously will be a percentage).

Edited by aussienam
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, smedly said:

these scams began when large firms outsourced their call center support to India, they have become quite cleaver at what they do - it is not unusual to have someone with an Indian accent on a call center, what they do is identify known customers of paid services/online shopping etc - they accumulate this personal information either from existing call center accounts or from the companies themselves were customer data is shared by planted employees or paid for with bribes, once they have this personal data they can then target mostly vulnerable elderly people and trick them through various methods to steal from them - huge sums are involved

I remember someone asking me about the number Indian eateries around pattaya that never seem to have customers - seems they have the answer 

Good point. However, although some of the staff may be 'clever', this outsourcing often meant lower quality customer service and satisfaction, resulting in considerable loss of business for some major companies.   

On 3/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, smedly said:

Indians have been money laundering in Thailand for decades. Look at all the Indian tailor shops in Bangkok for starters.

After investigating and collecting digital evidence, police discovered that there was more than 1 billion baht circulating within the scam gang’s network. Bank accounts belonging to legal entities within the network, as well as gold shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues in Chonburi were also found to have been used to launder money.

Of course.