I like fresh green stuffed olives.

ozimoron

You may have purchased the wrong olives as those appear to be stuffed with air.

I love green olives, but I'm such a bad shopper I have to admit I have no idea what a good or bad price for pretty much anything in a supermarket. I tend to buy a couple of bottles of green olives with pimentos and they're gone in a day or 2. Then in a year or 2 when I make it back to the supermarket, I'll buy another couple of bottles.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, spongeworthy said:

You may have purchased the wrong olives as those appear to be stuffed with air.

There are some stray garlic pieces missing but I was really only looking for plain, pitted green olives anyway so all good. Big C Extra got in a new supply a month or so ago in a 100 gram bag or maybe a big bigger. I just bought these on impulse.

11 minutes ago, spongeworthy said:

I love green olives, but I'm such a bad shopper I have to admit I have no idea what a good or bad price for pretty much anything in a supermarket. I tend to buy a couple of bottles of green olives with pimentos and they're gone in a day or 2. Then in a year or 2 when I make it back to the supermarket, I'll buy another couple of bottles.

I have a bottle of green olives but they are much smaller and still pitted so it takes that much longer to put a salad together which is already a time consuming effort. I'll look for the bagged, pitted olives in Big C again when they run out. I just add about a dozen of the smaller olives into a large salad so they last most of the year I think. These are about double the size so I need fewer of them.

Edited by ozimoron

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They also had 100% cocoa Lindt chocolate at 175, also not cheap.

Note that's only 50g. Less dark, 100g. But wait for the sales at Foodland. Picked up a lot at 115, best ever. 138 more common.

But most of our delicate, sugar-addicted taste buds here can't take very dark chocolate. They want a sweet candy.

I buy these from Villa, not cheap at around 460 Baht/jar.

41dTmI5whGL_1024x1024.jpg?v=1643896585

I like to add extra jalapenos, too. The smaller (and much cheaper) version you can buy in cans stuffed with anchovies from Spain are OK, too.

21 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There are some stray garlic pieces missing but I was really only looking for plain, pitted green olives anyway so all good. Big C Extra got in a new supply a month or so ago in a 100 gram bag or maybe a big bigger. I just bought these on impulse.

I have a bottle of green olives but they are much smaller and still pitted so it takes that much longer to put a salad together which is already a time consuming effort. I'll look for the bagged, pitted olives in Big C again when they run out. I just add about a dozen of the smaller olives into a large salad so they last most of the year I think. These are about double the size so I need fewer of them.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/700-g-olymp-green-pitted-olives-i2963225500-s10874477421.html

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Villa has the 100% cocoa Lindt chocolate, last time we were in there, I bought two blocks B146 sticks in my mind....

Thought I saw it in Big-CX only yesterday too. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thought I saw it in Big-CX only yesterday too. 

I'm off to Big C X today to buy ricotta or goat milk cheese to stuff into my olives so I'll look out for that. It might be cheaper than tops. 

I used to live close to there,great olives!

Thailand is not a great place for them but i guess they would grow here?

I have learned in life,"you can have it all but not at the same time"

Unless you have a lot of money i guess.

image.jpeg.b08ecd405e452499f51d5b252e8570ec.jpeg

5100 baht for some olives....LOL.

I am having a double garage roof built at the front of my house next week.

I am getting a team of four guys in to dig four holes for the cement corner posts.   Prefill the holes with rebar and a concrete plinth, then stand the posts (4.5 meters high) and back fill holes with more concrete.  Price: 5,000 baht.

When my workers are on their lunch break I will show them a photo of your olives and tell them how much you paid and post their response back here.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 1

Just now, Adumbration said:

I am getting a team of four guys in to dig four holes for the cement corner posts.   Prefill the holes with rebar and a concrete plinth, then stand the posts (4.5 meters high) and back fill holes with more concrete.  Price: 5,000 baht.

In my defense I got blindsided by this as it was in a cabinet guarded by an attendant and I mistook the weight for the price. I didn't even notice until I got it home. Still, I've wasted more money than that in soi 6 and I still have the olives..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In my defense I got blindsided by this as it was in a cabinet guarded by an attendant and I mistook the weight for the price. I didn't even notice until I got it home. Still, I've wasted more money than that in soi 6 and I still have the olives..

1300 grams for 5130 baht. My link shows 320 grams for 229 baht(they were something like 150 in Makro). Four jars would equal 1280 grams drained weight, for 916 baht plus postage. Ouch!

On 4/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Guderian said:

I like to add extra jalapenos, too. The smaller (and much cheaper) version you can buy in cans stuffed with anchovies from Spain are OK, too.

Same here… a ridiculously high price. 
I guess around 160 grams drained weight. 
Better to buy pitted Chalkidiki olives at 230 baht for 320 grams and to use the jalapeño you buy anyway, to stuff them yourself. Then drop back into the jar. Use gloves, in case you are sharing ????

• Haha 1

I couldn't find ricotta at Tops despite it being on their website so I settled for fresh mozarella (100 baht) and goats milk cheese (320 baht). They should last a while as I don't eat a lot of cheese. The olives are mainly for salads and I stuff them with fresh garlic.

20230403_123722.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love olives!

For 50+ years I eat green, pitted and stuffed ones.

Then one day at market (in Europe) I tasted Creek black unpitted "Kalama" olives and was in heaven...

The vendor explained; "Unpitted has full flavor, skin is not broken". He also said "Paprika doesn't below to olives..."

Since then I always hunt for them. Hunt, because it's hard to find unpitted but worth to find. The flavor in superb.

21 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I love olives!

Then one day at market (in Europe) I tasted Creek black unpitted "Kalama" olives and was in heaven...

The vendor explained; "Unpitted has full flavor, skin is not broken". He also said "Paprika doesn't below to olives..."

Since then I always hunt for them. Hunt, because it's hard to find unpitted but worth to find. The flavor in superb.

If they are from Kalamata in southern Greece, they are Kalamata, otherwise they are Kalamon. Of course not everyone will agree about this, as “Kalamata” makes it easier to sell. 
They aren’t hard to find now, because I too hunted for them ☺️ 

I agree that Kalamata whole are very tasty. But please don’t eat them directly from the jar or even cold. Warm them in a little olive oil. In an oven or however you can. That really makes them juicy and releases the flavour. 

????...  ????  Well I like bread and butter

I like toast and jam 

That's what my baby feeds me

I'm her loving man......  ????                       The New Beats

Happy Songkran take care.

• Love It 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:08 AM, GypsyT said:

I love olives!

"Then one day at market (in Europe) I tasted Creek black unpitted "Kalama" ".

If I read this too fast I may have thought you ran into the Vice President of the US at the market but I'm not sure she's unpitted.

Edited by HuskerDo2
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Guderian said:

As much as I wanted to buy some I never did as I thought they were over-priced for my taste buds.

These are pics I took at Rimping in Chiang Mai. The prices are 2 years apart (2018 & 2020).

image.png.d397153096adefc789a7ec163c295a0a.png               image.png.b6cb12c73cc035393d88d6461011ef6c.png

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 7:13 PM, ozimoron said:

How long do you reckon it will take you to get through those olives?

On 4/3/2023 at 11:59 AM, Adumbration said:

When my workers are on their lunch break I will show them a photo of your olives and tell them how much you paid and post their response back here.

My prediction is that they won't have a clue what you are going on about.

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

As much as I wanted to buy some I never did as I thought they were over-priced for my taste buds.

These are pics I took at Rimping in Chiang Mai. The prices are 2 years apart (2018 & 2020).

image.png.d397153096adefc789a7ec163c295a0a.png               image.png.b6cb12c73cc035393d88d6461011ef6c.png

If I may comment because you just show it on the left picture: The brand "Hainich" is the very best for gherkins, but you should go for the "sweet and sour" variety, not the "cornichons". Unfortunately, they do not stock very often in Central Festival Pattaya. Their "Sour Cherries" are as well very good. A glass of (I think I remember) 600gr. for THB 250.-- at TOPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Lindt chocolate is on special at Foodland for B139. Instead of the usual B175. We bought four blocks and got two very nice coffee mugs free as well.  ????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, dingdongrb said:

The big Makro in Pattaya sometimes has fresh jalapenos, though they call them Mexican peppers. I saw them a few weeks ago, so I bought a kilo for 50 Baht and pickled them myself, very quick and easy to do. They're big peppers, too, and quite spicy. With a jar of the small plain olives, instead of having jalapeno-stuffed olives. I'm now enjoying olive-stuffed jalapenos, lol!

IMG20230615161345.thumb.jpg.94ea2255b1254d30e37202fce5f639d8.jpg

• Like 1