Some Pattaya Residents Concerned About Vehicles Speeding on Beach Road and Ease of Crossing

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

By Adam Judd

Pattaya, Thailand-Some local Pattaya ex-pats and residents have raised concerns about cars and motorbikes speeding on Beach Road and the ease of crossing the road.

From early March Pattaya Police and City officials ended parking on the beach side of Beach Road, a move widely praised by most social media users. This allowed Beach Road to fully reopen to traffic through three lanes and minus major events like Songkran or festivals the flow of traffic has become much smoother on Beach Road.

However, this has brought a somewhat unforeseen problem….the move has made it much more difficult to cross Beach Road according to many of our readers and local residents and ex-pats.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/03/some-pattaya-residents-concerned-about-vehicles-speeding-on-beach-road-and-ease-of-crossing/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

This allowed Beach Road to fully reopen to traffic through three lanes and minus major events like Songkran or festivals the flow of traffic has become much smoother on Beach Road.

However, this has brought a somewhat unforeseen problem

Lack of foresight and planning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

However, this has brought a somewhat unforeseen problem

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They would not get used....and not much space for them on the land side. They need lollipop men/women, now there's a job deserving of danger money!

Foresight is needed but TIT 

Most of the big Hotels/resorts have their security guard stop traffic on Koh Chang pedestrian crossings, we have NO signs or Lights either and hard to see the faded paint.

Edited by brianthainess

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree.  They need to build several pedestrian walking bridges over the road.  

Climbing stairs in the heat ?  plus many older folks can have knee and leg problems, and we can't even park there anymore ......:sad: is curb crawling allowed?, asking for a friend.:coffee1:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Indeed - Pedestrian overpasses are the only safe way to cross the road without having to wait 20 minutes. If some don't want to use them for all these endless reasons, that's their problem. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

But I thought the new Red and White big " Zebra Crossings " were going to fix that problem......

Wasn't that the solution to the high profile accidents in Bangkok......

These crossings are badly designed for visibility, they need more striking road markings and more alert lights at lower level. 

Something will be done!I promise you and i will bet met next paycheck on that.

But,where is the emergency?No body dead yet!

It will take a few major accidents to get the people in charge to start thinking about a solution.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, SportRider said:

and more alert lights at lower level. 

Agree the same as traffic lights if your behind a large vehicle you just can't see them truck just goes through on green while you go through on red. 

42 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Indeed - Pedestrian overpasses are the only safe way to cross the road without having to wait 20 minutes. If some don't want to use them for all these endless reasons, that's their problem. 

How Empathic of you. It's not just a case of 'don't want to' for many especially in Pattaya it's          'Can't'. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jvs said:

Something will be done!I promise you and i will bet met next paycheck on that.

But,where is the emergency?No body dead yet!

It will take a few major accidents to get the people in charge to start thinking about a solution.

There has already been people killed, one was a doctor. one a M/C driven by a cop, not even his bike to ride!

Never going to happen but there should be fencing along the sidewalks to prevent pedestrians from crossing anywhere they want--very unsafe when people dart into traffic, often dragging a child and beach stuff.  Instead, pedestrians should only be crossing at designated crosswalks, with walk signals, and with police visibly on duty at the crosswalks.

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

It's a great idea but who's going to decide what stores to buy iu and close.

Also as stated there's a problem with Access.

I would suggest traffic ???? and police in selected areas is the best solution.

The other if course would be speed bumps. There are intersection where streets meet beach road perfect location for lights 

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It's a great idea but who's going to decide what stores to buy iu and close.

Also as stated there's a problem with Access.

I would suggest traffic ???? and police in selected areas is the best solution.

The other if course would be speed bumps. There are intersection where streets meet beach road perfect location for lights 

Close Beach Road except for Baht buses and deliveries, I would also close central Soi Buakha to ensure it’s not used as a rat run.

Edited by Jumbo1968

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

"However, this has brought a somewhat unforeseen problem….."

Only "unforeseen" if one is a know nothing, ******* idiot.

No, the question, if any, was one of whether complaints had to be taken seriously or not. The article plays to the sense of superiority felt by those who think only they foresaw something.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

People wouldn't trouble themselves to walk to them, as they don't now to the lights or crosswalks. Many an expat or tourist would find it stressful to walk up the stairs.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, BigStar said:

People wouldn't trouble themselves to walk to them, as they don't now to the lights or crosswalks. Many an expat or tourist would find it stressful to walk up the stairs.

They escalators in Las Vegas to cross the roads.

• Haha 1

As always it boils down to enforcement or lack of.  if the police always have an excuse as to why they can't monitor the crossings.  Cameras at the crossings and start a ticketing program that has teeth would be a start.  Wishful thinking.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kimothai said:

As always it boils down to enforcement or lack of.  if the police always have an excuse as to why they can't monitor the crossings.  Cameras at the crossings and start a ticketing program that has teeth would be a start.  Wishful thinking.

It’s not as if they have far to walk is it ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

In the UK they used to be called 'sleeping Policemen' Thailand has enough of those already. 

A few non-sleeping ones could solved this problem.  It's not like they have far to travel!