Some Pattaya Residents Concerned About Vehicles Speeding on Beach Road and Ease of Crossing

webfact

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

Indeed - Pedestrian overpasses are the only safe way to cross the road without having to wait 20 minutes. If some don't want to use them for all these endless reasons, that's their problem. 

Huh?

Further to my post above about many towns and cities pedestrianising streets, I happened across this on Facebook today. Every city and many large towns in Europe are prioritising people over traffic, one of the few ways that the world is going forwards instead of backwards.

Close Beach Road and make Second Road two-way.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 165902.png

Edited by Bangkok Barry

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Further to my post above about many towns and cities pedestrianising streets, I happened across this on Facebook today. Every city and many large towns in Europe are prioritising people over traffic, one of the few ways that the world is going forwards instead of backwards.

Close Beach Road and make Second Road two-way.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 165902.png

Close Beach Road yes, make 2nd Road 2 way, how long would it take to educate people it was 2 way. For me the first people that needs educating are the Police from the top to the bottom so they can seriously enforce the laws on the roads.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

They need a new kind of pelican crossing where some kind of physical obstruction for traffic rises up from the ground when the traffic light is red.  

Wouldn't that be fun when the 'a red light doesn't apply to me' mob tackle it :biggrin:

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There has already been people killed, one was a doctor. one a M/C driven by a cop, not even his bike to ride!

On the beach road in Pattaya?That is what we are talking about.

43 minutes ago, simon43 said:

They need a new kind of pelican crossing where some kind of physical obstruction for traffic rises up from the ground when the traffic light is red.  

something like this?It really works but makes a mess.

During the last couple of weeks I have been amazed at the number of people running red lights.. The other day I saw two Baht Buses drive through  2 red lights on pedestrian crossings. Nothing unusual in that you might think but there were people on the crossing at the time.

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Yes, Beach Rd in Pattaya.

Dr Waraluck, who worked at the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University, was struck down by a policeman driving a Ducati motorcycle at a crossing on Phaya Thai Road in Ratchathewi district on Jan 21

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Those spikes that prevent wrong way direction and ruin tyres! 

Pattaya is a basket case traffic wise now, and I see no solutions other than traffic deterrents. Roads heading into town also have issues. 

• Like 1

Vehicles on beach road comes in waves so you need to wait until a proper gap, problem is all the tourist newbies don't have a clue and will just walk out in front and expect vehicles to stop.

Their solution will be paint a new pedestrian crossing, which are death traps

• Like 1

Good luck with enforcement of getting motorbikes, cars to stop for zebra crossings or red lights. 

Good luck getting tourists and locals  to cross only at crosswalks.

When you have cops riding motorbikes the wrong way on the beach road sidewalks (with no helmets of course)  it hardly serves as a model for everyone to observe the laws.

If they want to be serious they have to copy Vietnam who went from Thailand like numbers to almost 100% helmet compliance, not riding on sidewalks, etc,  by slapping big fines on violators or even seizing their bikes.  Apparently small brides do not get you off the hook there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I am still waiting for them to build the undergound tolets....Then people will not need to cross the road so much......They 100% promised we would have underground tolets...

Where are they?

Ace ANF Hydraulic Engineers, those left alive after The Tunnel debacle, determined that any underground toilets would simply flood.

Besides, they'd always be occupied as short-time rooms by the mongers.  

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jvs said:

Dr Waraluck, who worked at the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University, was struck down by a policeman driving a Ducati motorcycle at a crossing on Phaya Thai Road in Ratchathewi district on Jan 21

Aha, I stand corrected.  Thanks.