NE man takes an afternoon snooze in the park.....goodbye 80K that he needed for his brother's brain tumor

webfact

Bummer, dont you hate when that happens?
But looking on the bright side, 80K for a brain surgery seems like a decent price.
Maybe the parents of the guy in hospital who are asking the world to pay for their kids med evac can get in touch.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He was due to have surgery on Thursday this week so he had brought 81,500 baht of his savings along in a bag.

I know in this day and age, one can transfer such an amount to the hospitals account with ease, no need to make a withdrawal of that amount of money, why just yesterday, this old timer tried to withdraw money at the ATM at Makro and the machine rejected my card as it was cracked.

I went into Makro and explained to the wife what just happened and she said you can make card less withdrawals using your phone app, I looked at her dumfounded and she said, come with me old man, pull out you mobile, open your bank app, and she showed me how to make card less withdrawals to the sum of 50,000 baht.

Yes, some of us are slow, but technology is there for us to use, suffice to say, I don't buy this guys story, that, or he is thicker than me.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Many good reasons as to why he's not having the op done under the 30 Baht scheme. Unfortunately we do not have full info as to why not.

What sort of reasons? 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Stunt, hoping for donations???

It would be an elaborate stunt to try and pull off with the third party people involved.

There's at least one potential witness, maybe the women in the picture, and then there are the attempted phone calls to the stolen phone made by a motorcycle taxi driver. Cops could check that phone to confirm the attempts.

I imagine the cops have very good bs detectors especially when dealing with typically naive Issan folk. Notice in the picture one cop is interviewing the woman well away from the victim no doubt standard practice when trying to confirm facts.

If the cops don't think it is a bs story they should be able to check cameras in the area. They know the time the crime took place within minutes and have the witness to help identify the thief.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

His choice, none of anyone's business why. 

Facile comment; it is perfectly understandable to wonder why a low paid worker, who declined the opportunity to deposit his alleged 80k Baht in a safe place, was still just wandering around with it.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

What makes me suspicious of this story is how he remembered his wife's phone number.  Before modern phones I had an almost photographic memory of numbers.  Now, because I don't actually dial them anymore, the only number I know is my own. How many of you can remember your wife's number?

Stunt, hoping for donations???

Absolutely.

If asked for her number he wouldn't know. Not a chance.

Very little chance of him knowing his phone number until he had spoken to the wife.

He's robbed or spent the money and is pretending there was a thief.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, loong said:

I also think that this story does not add up.

Why was he carrying around that amount of cash? If it was to pay the hospital, well he had already been there so why didn't he?

Nobody with a brain cell would have that money in a bag and lay it beside them and have a sleep. He could have shoved it down his trousers.

As explained, you don't pay till after the operation 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spock said:

I don't understand why the operation is not free under the national health system. Anyway, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Cancer treatment is not free under the nation's health system 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know in this day and age, one can transfer such an amount to the hospitals account with ease, no need to make a withdrawal of that amount of money, why just yesterday, this old timer tried to withdraw money at the ATM at Makro and the machine rejected my card as it was cracked.

I went into Makro and explained to the wife what just happened and she said you can make card less withdrawals using your phone app, I looked at her dumfounded and she said, come with me old man, pull out you mobile, open your bank app, and she showed me how to make card less withdrawals to the sum of 50,000 baht.

Yes, some of us are slow, but technology is there for us to use, suffice to say, I don't buy this guys story, that, or he is thicker than me.

A lot of upcountry folk are not tech savvy..Cash is still the usual mode of payment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just a promotional speech from The Minister of Health over two years ago.

I've been treated for skin cancer at the main government hospital in Udon mentioned in the article, and for prostate cancer at Ramathibodi hospital in Bangkok.

Thais can claim a reduction in charges from both hospitals but neither are free 

30 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

How will the hospital know if he actually had 80k Baht on him, and how will they know if it was stolen in the park 

They can confirm if his brother is having an operation on Thursday costing 80,000 baht.

9 hours ago, bannork said:

You usually pay after the operation when you get a bill itemizing the costs. The original article says he is a labourer so it's quite possible he doesn't have a bank account, hence collected the money in cash.

A sad story, they're going to have to get the money from somewhere, just hope it's not loan sharks.

Go Fund Me

18 hours ago, webfact said:

After visiting his brother he went to the park, called his wife, put the bag containing the money on his side and promptly fell asleep.

So why did he still have the money after going to the hospital?