Tai Yai people ar not Thai, dont consider themselves to be Thai and are not considered Thai by Thais.

Goat

You need to change your source - this is nolonger the case and hasn't been the case for a long time. Tai Yai isn't a state so when a TaiYai is born if they want an ID card they choose to be either Thai or Burmese and make the necessary application. As it is an area right next to  both borders the residents are both Thai and Burmese. Some never bother to get an ID card but most do these days. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

Tai Yai does not just refer to people who speak a Thai-related language in the Shan state in Myanmar, it also refers to other Tai Yai speakers in China (Zuong).

There are millions of Zuong people in China, descendants of Thais who chose not to emigrate South and stayed put.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That was the case 20 odd years ago . 

These days Tai Yai people are given Thai I.D if they were born in Thailand and been through he compulsory schooling system , 

Even Tai Yai people who haven't been through the schooling system and cannot prove that they were born in Thailand can still get Thai I.D if they can pass a few tests 

The Thai Government has recently rapidly been giving out Thai I.D to numerous ethnic minority kids (with no Thai I.D) even since the cave rescue when the only kid who could speak English was a kid with no Nationality to any Country and he couldn't get a passport to go abroad .

The Thai Government has taken measures to end statelessness in Thailand and the stateless people have been and are currently being  given Thai I.D .

Thanks for that update. One of my Tai Yai lovers plied me with opium (fin) and during an extended love making session talked me into driving her to the Immigration Office, which obviously a Thai citzen would have no reason to.

She was born in Thailand. She had a pink ID card and was not allowed to travel with me to other provinces.

I am glad things have improved for them. Top people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

????

8 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

You need to change your source - this is nolonger the case and hasn't been the case for a long time. Tai Yai isn't a state so when a TaiYai is born if they want an ID card they choose to be either Thai or Burmese and make the necessary application. As it is an area right next to  both borders the residents are both Thai and Burmese. Some never bother to get an ID card but most do these days. 

It is not "an area right next to both borders". It is an homogenous area that the NATIONAL border bisects, that the border cuts through, that the border divides.

The borders are artificial, the TAI ETHNICITY is not.

That is the CURSE of NATIONALISM.

THAILAND is resultant upon a powerful TAI sub-group, who had their power base in and around the central region, imposing their ideas of a NATION STATE upon everyone else.

That is the cause of the Southern fight against THAI NATIONALISM.

That is why Isaan LAO people resent the THAI NATIONALISTS

That is why people from Wales and Scotland fume when a foreigner mistakenly identifies them as English, who historically imposed themselves upon their neighbouring ethnicities.

The resultant BRITISH state was/is as artificial as the THAI state.

The people of Ireland resented the English dominated state that invaded and occupied them so much that they fought a war to remove it.

Thailand is a NATIONALIST construct, with borders that cut through and across many homogenous ethnicities that resent it.

SIAM was a multi-ethnic political entity......too untidy for nationalists. It had to go.

That is what NATIONALISM does......it is the ambition of the few imposed on the many......historically and presently, invariably, by FORCE.

????

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Enoon said:

????

It is not "an area right next to both borders". It is an homogenous area that the NATIONAL border bisects, that the border cuts through, that the border divides.

THAILAND is resultant upon a powerful TAI sub-group, who had their power base in and around the central region, imposing their ideas of a NATION STATE upon everyone else.

That is why people from Wales and Scotland fume when a foreigner mistakenly identifies them as English, who historically imposed themselves upon their neighbouring ethnicities.

The people of Ireland resented the English dominated state that invaded and occupied them so much that they fought a war to remove it.

Thailand is a NATIONALIST construct, with borders that cut through and across many homogenous ethnicities that resent it.

SIAM was a multi-ethnic political entity......too untidy for nationalists. It had to go.

That is what NATIONALISM does......it is the ambition of the few imposed on the many......historically and presently, invariably, by FORCE.

????

And next door, in Burma, the nationalists did/do the same.

Thai nationalists would just love to unleash that sort of horror upon their "restive"........subjects

Subjects

2.  "to bring (a person or country) under one's control or jurisdiction, typically by using force."

Edited by Enoon

15 hours ago, Enoon said:

????

????

feel better for that?