BITCOINERS, please help me to understand.

Expectation:

8 hours ago, swissie said:

China has already forbidden "crypto currencies" unless approved by the "Governement".

Reality:

everyone and their mom use crypto, including small businesses getting paid from abroad because Chinese government does not care about crypto income but make receiving dollar/euro transactions a huge unbearable pain in the ass.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, piston broke said:

Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger have ZERO Crypto .....

That's good enough for me ....

if I was Warren Buffet or Charlie Munger I would have lied to goyim too.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, piston broke said:

Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger have ZERO Crypto .....

That's good enough for me ....

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4561719-warren-buffett-has-exposure-to-bitcoin-so-should-you

As of February of this last year, it is known that Warren Buffett invested $1 billion in Nubank (NU), which was labelled as a crypto-friendly bank. After recent events, calling Nubank crypto-friendly might be an understatement.

However, Buffett must see some potential in at least some new financial technologies since he sold "traditional" financial companies in favour of Nubank.

• Like 2

Bitcoin is more immutable than pork bellies. Pork bellies can rot if not consumed quickly. Bitcoin will be around forever and can't be destroyed and nor can 21 million ever be produced. This sets it apart even from gold. This is why people invest in it although part of the reason they choose bitcoin is that it was first.

Bitcoin isn't going away but it's value can. Why can an oil painting be worth so much? Because people believe it will appreciate in value in the future. This is exactly the same motivation which drives bitcoin. The huge mistake people think about bitcoin is that if they can't see it or touch it then it can evaporate. That simply isn't the case.

• Haha 1

Bitcoins don't actually move or get sent anywhere. Ownership is assigned and maintained through a shared public ledger.

By owning bitcoin what you have access to a digital signature that allows you to sign transactions that you can claim ownership of or anything that its assigned to.

At this moment in time it represents a dollar value and you can track ownership on the public ledger to see and search every single owner and transactions that occured.

'Sending' bitcoins basically means giving up the rights over units on the ledger by signing them to another user. You can sell or transfer the rights to these asset(s) by digitally signing a transaction to someone else therefore they become the owner of those assets.

Essentially soon, any transaction of value relating to any asset could be transfered over the bitcoin network.

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I had a pet rock like that... and my Beanie Baby collection is falling like a stone... but maybe I can still sell it for imaginary money

I think you might have missed the point. If no-one is willing to buy your collection then it has no value on the market. And that's totally fine. Bitcoin obviously has value because people are buying it. This is the trivial demand and supply that defines pretty much all markets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

Essentially soon, any transaction of value relating to any asset could be transfered over the bitcoin network.

As long as there is a legal framework enforcing the rights to the assets - which doesn't exist right now. Because apart from the intrinsic digital security system in Bitcoin that assigns rights to a certain amount of Bitcoins, its blockchain can't enforce rights to other assets. That's why NFTs are such a joke. If you wanted to assign land ownership via a blockchain for example then that only would work as long as you can enforce it via the courts who will send armed men to hunt down violaters.

And since you need governments to play along there's about 0% chance of this going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

I think you might have missed the point. If no-one is willing to buy your collection then it has no value on the market. And that's totally fine. Bitcoin obviously has value because people are buying it. This is the trivial demand and supply that defines pretty much all markets.

So, an antique dealer has a can of tuna fish - he sells it to another antique dealer for $1 and tells him he can sell it for $2 - which he does and tells the next guy he can sell it for $4 - and so until the can of tuna fish sells for $100 - and the guy who buys it for $100 says this must be great tuna fish and starts to open the tin - "What are you doing?" shouts the seller - "that tuna fish isn't for eating, it's for selling.."

You mean like that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

So, an antique dealer has a can of tuna fish - he sells it to another antique dealer for $1 and tells him he can sell it for $2 - which he does and tells the next guy he can sell it for $4 - and so until the can of tuna fish sells for $100 - and the guy who buys it for $100 says this must be great tuna fish and starts to open the tin - "What are you doing?" shouts the seller - "that tuna fish isn't for eating, it's for selling.."

You mean like that?

No not like that. The first seller says he's willing to sell the can for $1 and the second dealer agrees to that price. Along comes another dealer and says hey I'm looking for a can of tuna and am willing to pay $2 and the second dealer says sure buddy! Etc. pp. The seller doesn't tell the buyer the price they'll be able to sell it for. Also the price wouldn't go up to $100 if there are other dealers on the open market advertising their cans of tuna for $2. This is how the price for virtually every commodity is determined. Why would a painting by Davinci be worth millions? Because people at an auction are willing to pay that much for it.

Edited by eisfeld

42 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No not like that. The first seller says he's willing to sell the can for $1 and the second dealer agrees to that price. Along comes another dealer and says hey I'm looking for a can of tuna and am willing to pay $2 and the second dealer says sure buddy! Etc. pp. The seller doesn't tell the buyer the price they'll be able to sell it for. Also the price wouldn't go up to $100 if there are other dealers on the open market advertising their cans of tuna for $2. This is how the price for virtually every commodity is determined. Why would a painting by Davinci be worth millions? Because people at an auction are willing to pay that much for it.

yeah, hey look, I was an antique dealer - that was an old antique dealer joke... 

So, a group of friends have been getting together for years... they have told the same jokes so many times that they have them numbered.. one guy says, "33" and everyone laughs.. the next guy says "47" and everyone laughs - the next guy says "17" but nobody laughs... one guy looks at another and says, "he could never tell a joke." 

• Sad 2

I hate all bitcoin discussion and avoid it.......  why?

Because I am still kicking myself in the @$$....  I read about bitcoin in Investor magazine back in the mid 90s. One coin was going for $0.25 USD....  Yes, a friggin quarter!

At that time online trading wasn't occurring. I told myself to call my broker and buy $100 worth....  I never did!

I am sure if I had bought any I probably would have sold well before it hit the peak of $60k.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I hate all bitcoin discussion and avoid it.......  why?

Said he just before taking part in a bitcoin discussion.

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I read about bitcoin in Investor magazine back in the mid 90s.

Impressive. You were ahead of the times given that the Bitcoin whitepaper was published in 2008.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1