Connect copper and aluminium electric wire

Max Brok

Soon I have to connect my house from the meter to the connection on the roof outside. I bought two wires copper 30 mtrs 16 square mm and half way a pole of 8 mtrs high. The wire on the roof going inside is multi core aluminium. I noticed in a technical sheet an copper aluminium connection is not allowed because corrosion. How I can connect it safe?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Do it the Thai way. Twist the wires together and wrap with lots of black tape.

In truth you cant, they are diss-similar metals and galvanic corrosion is the problem

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Max Brok said:

Yes

Well in my day running aluminium cable into the copper clamp/insert on the distribution board was a no-no, and special connectors had to be used which would hold the aluminium cable and allow a small length of copper cable to be connected and then used to connect to the distribution board (for example).

That's my take on it, however you would be better off asking someone like @Crossy or the other guys here who are more up-to-date with regulations etc.

• Like 1

Nothing to kid about.

Main problem is difference in coefficients of expansion.  As temperature varies over the years, tightly twisted wires work their way apart and start to arc across. Five to ten years and you've got yourself a fire.

Some company markets a device that splices wires under tremendous pressure, enough to cold weld them.  Also, you can buy special wall sockets, wall switches etc. that have a "CO/ALR" rating.  The screw terminals look like regular copper but supposedly you can hook on an aluminum wire.

There are several copper to Aluminum connectors, splices and clamps that are designed specifically for this type of connection.   Just wrapping the wires together will complete the circuit, however it will also cause a breakdown of connectivity eventually and could possibly lead to other detrimental issues.

• Like 2

Not sure if this is useful but last year bought a house in HH paid for meter to be installed at deposit stage

months went by no meter no bill then the village wanted me to pay some bill that my cables were connected to

I refused no meter no bill end of story next PEA arrived to install meter then refused due to the wrong mains cable being installed more free electric for me then a week later a copper heavy weight cable arrived and two guys to pull it in through existing trunk or dig up paths two days it took to complete.

All looked good no damage cable changed pea arrived to connect meter  job done but where the cable comes out of the outside wall to the meter they striped all the armor and insulation off leaving the last 1m into the meter with an uninsulated brown and blue wire Pea said it was fine but looking at every other house on the estate mine seems the only one with the last 1m exposed time will tell it looks like a cowboy job to me ????  

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

As noted earlier, these are the chaps you need https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gtl-16-gtl-25-gtl-35-gtl-10-compression-copper-aluminum-cu-al-tube-bimetallic-crimp-terminal-cable-wire-connector-splice-sleeve-i4435668268-s17778761147.html? along with the correct crimp tool.

Complete the job with adhesive-lined heatshrink and you're good for many years.

image.png.27892f621d177f32657d431169de4163.png

Thanks, this will be the best solution but now a suitable krimp tool could be the problem. Need only one time. I will look how much this will cost

18 hours ago, Rick Farang said:

Twisting the wires together is what they guys from the electricity authority did when they ran a new cable to my house.

That has been illegal for a number of years Our house was started late 2016 finished  early 2017 PEA would not sign off the house until the twisted wires were replaced with clamps quite a few rules changed in that time underground cables must copper double insulated cable.

22 minutes ago, Max Brok said:

Thanks, this will be the best solution but now a suitable krimp tool could be the problem. Need only one time. I will look how much this will cost

Not stupid money, but a bit of an investment for just a couple of joints 

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i2375968786-s8049639239.html

image.png.040974e19fba4b6cf8b80eb3f35297e4.png

Or ask at your PEA office, many of the PEA chaps will moonlight for very nominal fees.

On 4/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, SomchaiDIY said:

or can do other thai way with bimetal clamp / crimp

20151226132222512251.jpg.9b02150883ea1691d55c7953152ee08b.jpg

I don't think anyone below your comment bothered to read it...  or they just had to show their "credentials" of ignorance, except for Crossy.  I was waiting for his input.

(I wish he'd line up some good certified Thai "sparky's" he would recommend to fix our problems professionally) Hint, Hint

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

Metallurgist here.

Copper and Aluminium are quite apart on the galvanic scale. However they need an electrolyte for problems to emerge.

1. Why not use Copper throughout

2. If dissimilar metals are used enclose the connector to protect from oxygen and water

3. If using copper + copper don’t use an aluminium clamp.

4. Galvanise the Aluminium at the joint.

You would need to be more concerned if it was Aluminium and Stainless Steel.

Maybe the 18th Edition BS 7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations will help with your decision.

• Thumbs Up 1