Any “ preppers “ here?

Kwaibill

Part of the rationale for mild prepping is so that if a short-term interruption happens, you yourself won't be a burden on the local infrastructure as it steps in to help those who didn't prepare.  Not even two years ago there were people standing in line for hours in many Thai cities and towns for food handouts.

I worked with some LDS folks for several years, and kind of caught the prepping bug from them just a bit.  They call it self-reliance.   Mostly it made me aware of durable food prices so that if something I wanted to stock went on sale I was OK buying up to a year's supply of it, at a discount. And now inflation has hit so the savings is magnified. During the pandemic when people were buying masks and disinfectant cleaning supplies at hugely inflated prices and long wait times, I didn't contribute to some of that as I already had masks and isopropyl alcohol in stock.  My family also was able make fewer trips to the grocery store by virtue of having some things stocked so that we could make a once-a-week trip for fresh items.

Prepping also made me a bit more aware of healthy whole foods, like beans!  Beans and rice as a base with some fresh items added can keep you going for a very long time, and are quite nutritious and healthy compared to the highly processed diet that many westerners are accustomed to. 

Mainstream prepping isn't for an apocalypse, it's for short-term interruptions like a pandemic or local event, or even a personal event like unemployment or an injury that makes it hard for you to get out for a while. 

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Love It 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, BritManToo said:

Yep, I'm a pepper. 

Moved to Thailand to survive the zombie apocalypse. House full of swords to chop their brains. 

Solar power and terabytes of movies/books for entertainment in the post apocalyptic world. 

Ceramic water filter to clean the buffalo pee from the klong behind my house. 

I think you be also able to stock up on the gazillions of bottled water stashed away during the Y2K non-apocalypse.

I'm sure there are many wanting to offload their unused 10,000 bottles stashed in their underground bunker!

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you be also able to stock up on the gazillions of bottled water stashed away during the Y2K non-apocalypse.

I'm sure there are many wanting to offload their unused 10,000 bottles stashed in their underground bunker!

No point in storing water unless you live in the desert.

It's one of those ignorant journalist/writer prepper nonsense memes.

(like dropping your guns, falling over while running away, not being able to reload, etc)

Store food not water!

Most places have plenty of water in the wild, although you might want to buy a ceramic filter to get the bugs out.

Edited by BritManToo

On 4/16/2023 at 9:11 PM, save the frogs said:

yes, so you will chop everyone's head off, be the last survivor on earth.

then sit around watching sitcoms and eating canned peas.

you will end up committing suicide due to boredom.

stop prepping!

I am quite certain that the last person on Earth will be a Mod deleting off topic posts 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, Pink7 said:

Frozen  Strawberry at Makro look like fake color added. As soon they defrozen the berries almost white and lots of colored water. 

Pink 

Besides which our current freezer is about the size of two shoe boxes.

I would prefer to can fresh, make no sugar added jam, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

Part of the rationale for mild prepping is so that if a short-term interruption happens, you yourself won't be a burden on the local infrastructure as it steps in to help those who didn't prepare.  Not even two years ago there were people standing in line for hours in many Thai cities and towns for food handouts.

I worked with some LDS folks for several years, and kind of caught the prepping bug from them just a bit.  They call it self-reliance.   Mostly it made me aware of durable food prices so that if something I wanted to stock went on sale I was OK buying up to a year's supply of it, at a discount. And now inflation has hit so the savings is magnified. During the pandemic when people were buying masks and disinfectant cleaning supplies at hugely inflated prices and long wait times, I didn't contribute to some of that as I already had masks and isopropyl alcohol in stock.  My family also was able make fewer trips to the grocery store by virtue of having some things stocked so that we could make a once-a-week trip for fresh items.

Prepping also made me a bit more aware of healthy whole foods, like beans!  Beans and rice as a base with some fresh items added can keep you going for a very long time, and are quite nutritious and healthy compared to the highly processed diet that many westerners are accustomed to. 

Mainstream prepping isn't for an apocalypse, it's for short-term interruptions like a pandemic or local event, or even a personal event like unemployment or an injury that makes it hard for you to get out for a while. 

Very parallel thoughts.

I remember seeing the folks lined up for food. I also remember tough times as a child.

I also lived near an LDS town in AZ. I had a bunch of their canned goods in my “stash” in addition to what I bought at the grocery or put up myself. I have (had) a root cellar/ bunker dug into the side of the hill. About 3,000 gallons water storage plus rain water catchment system, even a couple of drums buried where only I knew. A library of seeds. Several months of my prescriptions.

Declining health made it impossible for me to live alone and at that altitude, plus I fell in love with my dear wife while visiting here for a research project;

” I couldn’t leave her if I tried.”

My current interest is connected to the threat by the Magidiots to crash the US economy, plus I just like having food available ( “Mommy, I’m hungry!”! Leaves an indelible mark.)

So yes, I think you could say I was a serious prepper, for the short term at least. Hard to make my wife understand the idea when she believes she will always be able to “pop out” and buy whatever. She had a pretty good job for many years around Bkk, while I experienced real hunger as a child, and survived on the streets during a US recession in the seventies.

Edited by Kwaibill
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, khunJam said:

Thousands of local farmers doing the prepping for me. I don’t need to hassle with it. Unless of course there’s a severe drought 

Which seems to be in the cards now. Predicted severe El Niño coming.

Edited by Kwaibill
Spelling.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, khunJam said:

Thousands of local farmers doing the prepping for me. I don’t need to hassle with it. Unless of course there’s a severe drought 

If it actually happened, money would be useless IMO. It will revert to a barter economy and if one just takes it one will likely get a bullet in the head.

• 8 months later...

Tick Tock ... 2036 will be here sooner than you think, and that's the positive outlook.

2 hr 40 mins ... the final verdict

2 hr 14 min ... explanation of earth destruction of mankind, 

from within the planet, not the BS they lie to you about above

the surface of the planet.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:14 AM, KhunLA said:

I don't think they get into it, they came with the pasta ????

It was some years back that I liked the cornbread from a mix by a famous US company.  One day I opened a box and found lots of little bugs of a type I'd never seen before.  Oh well.  Bought another box, same.  Wrote the company a letter, they said it wasn't possible, they got into the box in my house (sealed in an airtight pouch?).  Someone said they were weevils, but I was a city boy, I didn't know this stuff, and the nearest farm was at least an hour's drive away.  Didn't buy their product again for a looooong time.

OP: look into new ways of preserving things, like drying prawns or fish.  Or different styles of pickling from around SEA.