COVID-19 cases will probably rise after Songkran festival

webfact

image.png

COVID-19 infections are expected to increase two weeks after the Songkran festival, but the situation will remain under control, because hospitals have the capacity to take the extra patients, according to Associate Professor Dr. Nitipat Jiarakul, director of the Thoracic Society of Thailand.

He noted that, during the pre-Songkran period, the number of COVID-19 patients admitted for treatment at large hospitals had increased from March, but most of the patients had mild symptoms.

The patients included actor Nattawut Skidjai recently posted on Instagram saying that it was the first time that he was infected and advising Songkran revellers to exercise caution and wear face masks.

Mongkolkit Suksintharanon, leader of the Thai Civilized Party, said in his Facebook post that he was also infected with COVID-19 for the first time and his blood-oxygen level and blood pressure are normal, but he is a little hoarse. He added that his infection meant he was unable to meet people during the Songkran festival.

Dr. Nitipat said there is no need for Songkran revellers to work from home after the festival, but advised those who live with elderly people and those at high-risk to monitor their health for symptoms associated with COVID-19.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-cases-will-probably-rise-after-songkran-festival/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

National lockdown a must.  Masks mandatory, even in the shower.   send all money to the big pharmas of the world.   inflation back to 100000% every hour.   I just saw clowns selling t-shirts in America for like 4000 baht.  simple, plain t-shirts.  nothing special at all.  soon 10,000 for underwear.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

hahahah covid 

the world moved on so long ago. 

Fear mongering numskulls doing all they know how to do. Instill fear as a mean to maintain power. Cha Cha your days are over. Retire now. You are despised. See ya! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

Just stop with this covid  nonsense 

I agree, the medical profession are just looking for excuses to fill their pockets, and that means the soldiers caretaker government will be in on it too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total and complete BS. Covid is long gone. A friend of mine is a surgical nurse at a large, local hopsital. She told me she cannot even remember the last time she has seen a covid patient. Let it go. It is likely this desperado administration wants to maintain the panic, with this false narrative. 

How true, they just want to keep their bank balances up along with the medical profession.

• Like 1

Adapting DDC’s vaccination strategy to address increasing Covid-19 cases
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

Amidst concerns over a sudden surge in Covid-19 infections, the Ministry of Public Health is altering its vaccination strategy, aiming to handle the increasing numbers connected to the Songkran festivities.

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) unveiled the alteration yesterday in response to the spiking rate of new Covid-19 cases experienced last week. According to DDC Director-General Dr Thares Krassanairawiwong, 435 new inpatient Covid-19 cases were documented, equating to approximately 62 cases daily, from the previous Sunday until yesterday. This presents a 2.5-fold escalation in comparison to the infection rate recorded in the week prior.

Out of the recent cases, Dr Thares reported 30 patients as suffering from lung infections and 19 requiring a respirator, representing increases of 58% and 36% respectively from the preceding week. 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/adapting-ddcs-vaccination-strategy-to-address-increasing-cases

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

50 minutes ago, Seppius said:

In Bangkok this coming weekend, is it still mandatory/polite for masks on the Skytrain?

I believe it is not mandatory to wear masks on the BTS etc. As for being polite why would it be impolite not to wear a mask? It's more percieved peer group pressure. Is it impolite to walk into 711 without a mask? Is it impolite to walk down the street without a mask? Is it impolite to walk into Lotus'ssssssss without a mask? More and more Thais are taking their (absolutely ineffective) masks off. It's time for everyone to DUMP THE MASKS.

"Out of the recent cases, Dr Thares reported 30 patients as suffering from lung infections and 19 requiring a respirator, representing increases of 58% and 36% respectively from the preceding week."

As for this, this is complete nonsense. Omicron does not infect the gas exchange organs otherwise known of as lungs. They may very well of had Omicron (might not have even known they did) but their lung infections are more than likely due to the atrocious air quality.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I believe it is not mandatory to wear masks on the BTS etc. As for being polite why would it be impolite not to wear a mask? It's more percieved peer group pressure. Is it impolite to walk into 711 without a mask? Is it impolite to walk down the street without a mask? Is it impolite to walk into Lotus'ssssssss without a mask? More and more Thais are taking their (absolutely ineffective) masks off. It's time for everyone to DUMP THE MASKS.

"Out of the recent cases, Dr Thares reported 30 patients as suffering from lung infections and 19 requiring a respirator, representing increases of 58% and 36% respectively from the preceding week."

As for this, this is complete nonsense. Omicron does not infect the gas exchange organs otherwise known of as lungs. They may very well of had Omicron (might not have even known they did) but their lung infections are more than likely due to the atrocious air quality.

No need for the lecture lol, I am firmly in the anti mask camp, can't remember the last time I wore one, however last time in Bangkok, maybe 8 months ago, everyone on the ST was masked up. What is it now 80/20? that's what I was asking

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

In Bangkok this coming weekend, is it still mandatory/polite for masks on the Skytrain?

It is "recommended" according to the PA announcements. About 90% of Thais do wear masks, and about 10% of non-Thais, is my estimate.

The only public transport entity which demands a mask is a particularly unpleasant female ticket collector on the number 40 bus route, who makes a point of bellowing at anyone not following her rules on the subject.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think they have to worry about other infections more than Covid.

are u referring to .....Chlamydia,  Gonorrhea, Trichomoniasis, Herpes, HIV  555