If you witnessed a man beating a woman to a pulp in public, would you intervene?

bob smith

Just now, stoner said:

oh ok then. 

well considering the new world we live in. the woman in question deserves no help from any man. 

would you step in if it was 2 men fighting ? remembering that in our modern society all are considered equal. 

The real question is would you step in to help a small Thai man being pummeled into gruel by his taller, younger, stronger ladyfriend?

• Confused 1

Just now, stoner said:

oh ok then. 

well considering the new world we live in. the woman in question deserves no help from any man. 

would you step in if it was 2 men fighting ? remembering that in our modern society all are considered equal. 

I often did go between two men fighting alone with no back up, and 3 men beating up one gay man when working, but as said, every situation needs different solutions and approach. Always location and situation depended. 

23 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Never, ever, ever, ever, get involved in Thais fighting each other.  Remember, YOU ARE A GUEST IN THIS COUNTRY.  Stop trying to be a Western Calvary hero.  It will never end well for you.  Thailand is for Thai people.  My God, why can't some western folks get this?  The country was doing fine without us here hundreds of years ago, so why the hell you think you can save them from their daily BS.  Leave these people alone!  They are not bothering us.  Learn from them!

You understand there is a different situation inside a condominium than out on the streets, or in their own backyards. If you are able to stop a beating and abuse without to big risk, of course you intervene. 

Edited by Hummin

It depends, and only if I think I could do it, without any repercussion to myself.

Getting involves would go against my rational thinking, meaning, if it was 2 men that I didn't know, would I intercede.    Obviously not. 

What is it with the 'women & children' first mentality.   OK, children I understand, but not women.

I was in a relationship with a schizo bi-atch, and since, don't believe a damn thing they say.   Counter to my usual, prior thinking of ...  'believe the woman, as men are usually abusive A$$holes' ...  not any more, eyes wide open now.

Now I suspect all as lying, manipulative people, that will say or do anything.

But yes, I would probably intercede, if I thought it was going too far, and her life was in danger.

OP's example is someone in his building, known maybe,  and may require different consideration of involvement.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, stoner said:

oh ok then. 

That depends if you fancy one or both of those men. ???? 

The winner takes it all. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang

With all those comments, in your opinion how many Thai people would try to stop such a fight?

I didn't see many fights in this country, but as far as I remember there are basically two reactions.

a) The fighting people are not connected to anybody else. The everybody is looking and doing nothing.

b) One of two of the fighting people are part of the group. Then soon the groups fight each other.

That is only from my limited observation. 

I suspect this threat comes from discussions in this thread (https://aseannow.com/topic/1291687-gang-attacks-swedish-tourist-for-defending-waitress-in-chiang-mai-thailand/).

IMO - its an impossible question to answer... There is what we think we may do, then what we would do... 

...and, what we would do is dependent on many different variables...  

Thus: just like the question... Would you stop and help at an accident ?... In some situations, yes. 

Would I intervene when a far weaker party is getting beaten to a pulp ?... In some situations, yes. 

But, I can’t say I’d intervene in all situations, especially IF there were a perceivable risk to myself. 

--------

In fact, I did intervene once.

I with a  Thai friend, in a nightclub (in Bangkok) at the bar and a Thai guy next to me suddenly punched the waitress in the face, he’d pulled back to take a second swing when I grabbed his arm and thew him to the floor and held him down...   Looking around to see if any of his friends were about to follow up, they didn’t... Bouncers came in, I stepped off the guy and passed him over. 

We had to ask ‘who this guy was’ incase he was ‘connected’... turns out he wasn’t, his friends were very apologetic for the guys behaviour. 

Turns out - the attractive waitress had been ‘playing him’.... he’d bought her things, given her big tips etc.. and she was stringing him along for weeks and weeks until he’d had enough and snapped. 

Another time (not me this time), someone (a Thai guy) at the table next to us was about to hit someone at another nearby table over the head with a bottle... I’m not sure what the ‘precursor’ was to this, perhaps a little ‘real-estate’  issue in the crowded area and there had been some nudging, I’m not sure.... Anyway, as the bottle was swung back, my friend who was right there took it out of his hand, much to the shock of the aggressor....   He turned around looking quite angry at my friend, it looked like the Thai guy was about to square off before his friends dragged him away and outside. 

My point in both of the examples above - sometimes things erupt right under our noses and there is little time to think..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bogs smith said:

If you witnessed a man beating a woman to a pulp in public, would you intervene?

I reckon it's a reflex reaction for most of us from the west, to help any woman in need.

I hope never to have this experience because I would get myself into trouble.

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect this threat comes from discussions in this thread (https://aseannow.com/topic/1291687-gang-attacks-swedish-tourist-for-defending-waitress-in-chiang-mai-thailand/).

IMO - its an impossible question to answer... There is what we think we may do, then what we would do... 

...and, what we would do is dependent on many different variables...  

Thus: just like the question... Would you stop and help at an accident ?... In some situations, yes. 

Would I intervene when a far weaker party is getting beaten to a pulp ?... In some situations, yes. 

But, I can’t say I’d intervene in all situations, especially IF there were a perceivable risk to myself. 

--------

In fact, I did intervene once.

I with a  Thai friend, in a nightclub (in Bangkok) at the bar and a Thai guy next to me suddenly punched the waitress in the face, he’d pulled back to take a second swing when I grabbed his arm and thew him to the floor and held him down...   Looking around to see if any of his friends were about to follow up, they didn’t... Bouncers came in, I stepped off the guy and passed him over. 

We had to ask ‘who this guy was’ incase he was ‘connected’... turns out he wasn’t, his friends were very apologetic for the guys behaviour. 

Turns out - the attractive waitress had been ‘playing him’.... he’d bought her things, given her big tips etc.. and she was stringing him along for weeks and weeks until he’d had enough and snapped. 

Another time (not me this time), someone (a Thai guy) at the table next to us was about to hit someone at another nearby table over the head with a bottle... I’m not sure what the ‘precursor’ was to this, perhaps a little ‘real-estate’  issue in the crowded area and there had been some nudging, I’m not sure.... Anyway, as the bottle was swung back, my friend who was right there took it out of his hand, much to the shock of the aggressor....   He turned around looking quite angry at my friend, it looked like the Thai guy was about to square off before his friends dragged him away and outside. 

My point in both of the examples above - sometimes things erupt right under our noses and there is little time to think..

Too bad thinking is the first thing to do but it seems you always do it afterwards, strange that you're still here.

5 hours ago, bogs smith said:

how about you blokes?

would you lot get involved to save the poor damsel in distress or would you let the scumbag husband/boyfirned or whatever beat her like a rug in public?

I might intervene if someone were beating a child.

But not an adult, they can make their own choices.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bogs smith said:

i did initially. then she said mai pen ri,

i said are you sure? she said yes.then the thug started laughing like a child.

What does this mean?  You KNEW to get involved, she was being assaulted.  Whatever she says doesn't change that, she needed a hero.  You said you would be a hero, but you left.  

I would have saved her, properly.  Knocked him out.................. cold.

So if you saw a guy beating a woman with a pipe and she was bleeding, crying, but said mai bpen rai... you would say, OK, and leave??

yes, you got involved

but did nothing except allow the abuse to continue.  sad.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

About 40 years ago, in Cambridge Massachusetts on New Years Eve, a co-worker of mine intervened when he witnessed a man beating a woman on the street.  He never made it to the new year.  Not only did the man attack him, the woman he had been assaulting also piled on.  They bashed his head repeatedly against a curbstone,  He was DOA at the hospital. 

Both the man and woman somehow were able to claim self-defense, got plea deal for involuntary manslaughter and walked.

Edited by dddave
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Came across a woman being verbally threatened and screamed at by a man.............she walked away from him, shaking and crying.......I said to her 'is there anything I can do?'..........

...........she turned to my and spate out, with some venom........... '<deleted> off and mind your own business'

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, recom273 said:

The general answer is .. keep your nose out however, that may not sit well with your conscious.

You don't know the whole domestic situation, maybe you go to give him a dig and he pulls out a knife or gun - also, you are a guest here, you are on rocky ground with the police  if you start brawling in the street - leave it to a local to sort out.

Correct. Tell the reception and let them sort it out.

Also to consider- he brings 10 of his mates to deal revenge to you. He knows where you live.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Never, ever, ever, ever, get involved in Thais fighting each other.  Remember, YOU ARE A GUEST IN THIS COUNTRY.  Stop trying to be a Western Calvary hero.  It will never end well for you.  Thailand is for Thai people.  My God, why can't some western folks get this?  The country was doing fine without us here hundreds of years ago, so why the hell you think you can save them from their daily BS.  Leave these people alone!  They are not bothering us.  Learn from them!

While I agree with your post about not getting involved, foreigners have been involved with Siam for hundreds of years. They had foreign mercenaries, if Thai historical movies are anything to go on.

I also understand that the word farang originated hundreds of years ago from French people in Siam.