How many would we have left?

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I am talking about live no pics you can download from the net

I'd put a badger mask on then how would they know a pic was you unless it was your passport, and nobody is going to do that????

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

There's something about anonymity that brings out unguarded opinions, and in a forum only the weak want an echo chamber.

Anonymity is not something one has to work at; it's something one HAD to work at. This had to be done at the onset of the internet, otherwise, one's anonymity is like being a little bit pregnant. It's binary, in the non-woke sort of way:   0 or 1. Yes or no.

Let's use the Wayback Machine and outline how one might reach 2023 with real name Google searches that answer "No result found"

It's mid 1990s and the internet is just getting going. You have a computer loaded with the Netscape browser. First things first: get a bunch of different name email accounts, before anybody gets particular about real identities. Use internet cafes rather than a home connection with a set ISP. Change devices frequently. Learn how to spoof MAC addresses.

Just for fun, buy lots of SIM cards before proof of identity is required.

Let others pine for "Likes" on social media. Never set up a Facebook, MySpace, Instagram or whatever new thing comes along.

When tunneling proxies come along, use them. Today it's pretty easy to remain anonymous using TOR and VPNs. In some countries, these are necessary to reach many otherwise restricted sites or even send messages.

Don't fully trust sites or apps that claimed unbreakable encryption. WhatsApp can be cracked by a number of intel services.

Of course no one can be completely anonymous (perhaps contradicting my first paragraph), but the internet isn't 100% efficient. If one never put him or herself out there, then only official public records (Tax #, Driver's License, etc.) can be mined. Google most people by name, and what emerges is from social media sites, that "Like Seeking" behavior that forever destroys one's anonymity.

For most people, none of this is important, but it does enhance one's personal security if one might, for some reason such as wealth or position, be someone's target.

One can still play on sites like this for fun.

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

Will you stop using this site? 

Why would it stop posters, there's 2 sections of your profile that you can fill in for people to look at just leave em blank if your that bothered.

I think that would severely affect the number of posters - and even worse: it could affect what is posted. Think Tripadvisor. I used to be one of the Top contributors there but decided to stop contributing because of the legislation (defamation). What sense does a review site makes when you might not tell the truth ? With AN it is a bit the same. In any case the administrators know who you are (at registration), but why would you share that with the public? I regard it generally as problematic to give personal information away in even the slightest way and avoid it where I can. This is not about the argument: "I have nothing to hide" - its a general principle. Few are aware of the implications of Big Data and if you are not it does not make sense trying to explain it I learned.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In general: The more information we give out the easier it is for the bad guys to pretend to be us.

I know, most of the time it's a little more complicated, but the principle is the same.

Often people are asked about the name of their first pet or favorite color, etc.

I'm sure you know this, but for security questions, your answer need not make sense, it simply must be the answer you give when asked.

Example: What's your favorite color?

Answer: Left

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I would participate in a few sections like DIY. 

But for the pub anonymity makes sense. 

And let's keep in mind that we all registered to participate here. And we have IP addresses to trace. So if we would do something very stupid then many of us can be traced.

I wouldn't use a VPN to hide to use a forum like this. It's not important enough. 

You mean your avatar isn't really a picture of you? I'm disappointed, mine is 555.

• Haha 1