Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do tell how to do that.

I had "friends" that stole from me, exploited me, used me.

I married the woman that was supposed to look after me; that didn't work out very well!

Do you blaim everyone you met in life for not being good to you ? 

Im quite sure we all met people of all kinds, had conflicts and so on, but you move on and make better choices based on experiences 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We all ( probably ) think WE are normal.

IMO there is no such thing as "normal", just behaving like a majority of other people, but sometimes a majority of people are not exhibiting good behaviour- the Roman mob that went to the circus to see people eaten by animals were "normal" for that time, but were they "good"?

Spending time here, to much time, should be a sign ???? ????

However Im not sure the circus was that barbaric

https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-roman-gladiators

Well,

living until 2002 in Germany I never got my feet on the ground, living on last coins month by month but had always a job (which was lousy paid.) 

Getting divorced (from my never working German wife) was the first good step I did.

Took a break in Thailand, got pickled in booze and shagged my brain out, was the 2nd good step.

Next holiday I met all the normal Farangs, sitting at the stone table and moaning about their home country, Thai girls, Politics and they knew all better.... 

I decided to be crazy:

I can't make it in my home country, so how would I be able to make a living in a foreign country?

I relocated...

Broke all down in Germany and even closed my tax Books.. GONE my friends and compatriots!

I found a Thai wife (lucky) before I could meet my "Friends" at the stone table again... 

Motivated by my wife, "you can do everything, if you just start and really want it" I got my feet into the offshore bizz, hence earning my coins outside Thailand.

The Carrere ladder went steep up...

Now, owning (by being legally signed investor) a farm of 17 rai, since 21 years happy married, still working in the senior management jobs, I still have "traumas" about my past life in Germany. 

I work hard (with great support of my wife) that the past live has no chance to return, despite I am now already triple covered.

Why I (60 yrs now) do not retire which I could easy do by now? 

Conclusion: "Not Normal"

Edited by Reginald Prewster
typo

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Im quite sure we all met people of all kinds, had conflicts and so on, but you move on and make better choices based on experiences 

No, I knew lots of good people in my life, but moving around tends to lose them as friends and I've been moving all my life.

I blame the bad ones for being bad to me.

I have moved on and I have a few good friends and no wish to find more. I only have the few because I've known them for decades, and if not for them would not want any.

I am a rock, by Simon and Garfunkel says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have a few good friends and no wish to find more.

Yea, that's me also.

Good friends, maybe 5ish here in TH.  Easy to tell, if I've been to their house, and or got invited to mine .. if not, you were just an acquaintance.

In Udon Thani, use to meet up with a few every month, sip a few and solve the world's problems. 

Here/PKK, I know only 1 family, good friends though.  Could be they just like the Brownies & the bread ????

4 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yep. 

Of course there is no shortage

TBH there are many other 'great' countries that do the same!

So much so, they are almost loosing their identity.

TH is still fighting strong, albeit inviting a lot of flack... which proves they are doing ok...

On 4/18/2023 at 10:20 AM, jvs said:

There is your problem.

It is very easy to meet idiots of all sorts in Thailand,mostly in bars i would think.

There are many foreigners who never go to bars and stay home most of the time.

Many are into gardening and other hobbies.

Same as in the newspapers,you never read good news.

"It is very easy to meet idiots of all sorts in Thailand,mostly in bars..."

In bars of other countries you meet intelligent people? Idiots ONLY in Thai bars?

This kind of answers the question very clearly on the subject line (Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?), does it not?

'We' are far superior than the Thais... Thats why we are in Thailand. OMG

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

"It is very easy to meet idiots of all sorts in Thailand,mostly in bars..."

'We' are far superior than the Thais... Thats why we are in Thailand. OMG

The typical bar scene with cheap beer and cheap ladies do have a tendency to attract those who are superior to the locals. Havent missed one yet who do not think they are not! 

And quite a few of them left their awful home country to, and willing to share their experiences about thai women as well. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 2

Up here in Isaan countryside some of us are considered abbynormal (formerly known as rednecks)..

Willie says you’ve got to be crazy to keep from going insane… I’ve not met any nutbags in my 8 years 

here… all is good ish..

3 minutes ago, remobb said:

Well I consider myself as normal. Been here 25 years. Drink only on occasions, married, 1 son, 72 years old and still working (legally).

Is that normal or abnormal?

Most people think they are normal. People with depression, none of their own cause, have a mental illness. Doesn't make them bad people. Or abnormal. Narcissists, on the other hand, have learned that behavior and are terrible people. Abnormal. Drinking daily doesn't make you bad. Too much daily makes you an alcoholic. Still not a bad person, just one with a problem. As long as they aren't hurting others, it's their problem. There are white collar workers that don't drink, do drugs, or cheat but use their ways to embezzle money from others, drain resources from the planet for gain, or over develop. This is abnormal. Everyone on earth has problems. Some are abnormal. Most aren't. Just humans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Most people think they are normal. People with depression, none of their own cause, have a mental illness. Doesn't make them bad people. Or abnormal. Narcissists, on the other hand, have learned that behavior and are terrible people. Abnormal. Drinking daily doesn't make you bad. Too much daily makes you an alcoholic. Still not a bad person, just one with a problem. As long as they aren't hurting others, it's their problem. There are white collar workers that don't drink, do drugs, or cheat but use their ways to embezzle money from others, drain resources from the planet for gain, or over develop. This is abnormal. Everyone on earth has problems. Some are abnormal. Most aren't. Just humans.

Drinking to much doesnt hurt anyone except themselves if only themselves to care for. 

It is a different story if have a gf, wife or children. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, bogs smith said:

i have had many such encounters over the years and its making me question. does Thailand attract losers or do people become losers when they have been here too long?

I've lived here 30 years and over time I noticed the same thing, although saying that, I do have some friends that have been here a long time and are fairly "normal". I think with the ones that do have issues it could be that; some people have issues before coming to Thailand, and some come here "normal" and go off the rails. From what I've seen it's mainly from women, alcohol, or failed business ventures--or a combination of all three. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, normal or what we think is Normal, doesnt exist.

What is a Normal man in Thailand? 

How much do he drink, do he swear, smoke pot or tobacco, go to gym or havw any hobbies, and do he take part in the nighlife? 

Food habits? Or religion or life philosophy as well does he believe or not in matrix.

Is he a foolish man who his woman choosed him for his money, or do he only rent?

I have experienced quite a few more here who is utterly on the edge when it comes to believe in conspiracy theories, whay more than back home.

So what is a normal expat man in Thailand?

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

Lots of bad people though.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

You have to ask your self, would a normal person choose Thailand? and for what reasons would anyone move to Thailand. 

Be earnest now!

For adventure. Regular people rarely go anywhere.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Not sure about that, as my brothers (and family) & myself aren't very sedentary.  Friends without a bit more funds, get O&A locally, statewide areas, or just stay in the Americas.

2 hours ago, bignok said:

My impression is, and I am traveling quite a bit inside Thailand, most retired expats stay one place in Thailand and travel very little, and seems very little adventures compared to tourists. Maybe they travelled a bit in the beginning, but for some reasons stopped. 

9 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Now, some of us are here because we simply couldn't make it at home for various reasons,and we tend to hear from them daily on this site.

and some of us can "make it" at home, but chose to move to LOS instead, even the posters that you hear from daily.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

My impression is, and I am traveling quite a bit inside Thailand, most retired expats stay one place in Thailand and travel very little, and seems very little adventures compared to tourists. Maybe they travelled a bit in the beginning, but for some reasons stopped. 

IMO that would be true of those that found the "little woman", gave her parents a huge dowry, bought her a house, a car, give her an "allowance" so she can paint her nails and watch soaps all day, and support her family. They probably don't have any money left to go traveling. ????

• Haha 1