Campaign policies to combat Thailand’s multibillion-baht corruption problem

webfact

Promises of a corruption-free Thailand: Will political parties deliver their election pledges?
by Bob Scott

image.jpeg

For more than a century, corruption, graft, kickbacks, and bribery have been entrenched in the culture of Thailand. However, political parties in anticipation of the upcoming May 14 General Election are promising to eradicate these issues in their election pledges. But will they?

Mana Nimitmongkol, the secretary-general of the Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand (ACT), said that despite the implementation of numerous anti-graft mechanisms in the country, corruption has not diminished.

According to Transparency International’s 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index, Thailand is ranked 101st out of 180 countries. However, this marks a slight improvement from 2021, with Thailand climbing nine places in the ranking. Despite this, Thailand’s transparency score only increased by one point, Thai PBS reported.

Mana expressed disappointment that Thailand’s corruption situation has remained largely unchanged over the years, regardless of which political party was in power. Over the past decade, Thailand’s score has fluctuated between 35 and 38 out of 100.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/promises-of-a-corruption-free-thailand-will-political-parties-deliver-their-election-pledges

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Yesterday the buzz around here was that 500 baht cash was on offer to anyone (Thai 18+) willing to sit for an hour and listen. Today the envelopes arrived a bit lighter (300 baht) as so many turned up! Not to worry our household sent 2 pax. Just waiting for the next mob to swan into the soi; ka-ching. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Yesterday the buzz around here was that 500 baht cash was on offer to anyone (Thai 18+) willing to sit for an hour and listen. Today the envelopes arrived a bit lighter (300 baht) as so many turned up! Not to worry our household sent 2 pax. Just waiting for the next mob to swan into the soi; ka-ching. 

I assume your talking about vote 'buying'. Normal part of Thai elections. I remember the Taksin election in 2004 I think it was. A militaty helicopter stacked with loudspeakers was flying around telling people to vote for him.  My 1st year here. I couldn't believe what I was seeing or more to the point hearing as it was very very loud.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand ranks 101 out of 180 countries in the 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index,

that's a good rating (sarcasm intended)....would have guessed 170-175 out of 180, ok maybe next year will get there

• Like 2

I think there is or should be a law about unaccounted for wealth but who in government would pass the sniff test?

The excuses are so stupid a child would blush ???? 

And on this they try to stop corruption I bought this job now I need to make it pay

• Thumbs Up 2

Any sort of lies, PR campaigns, promises or rhetoric by the toxic leaders, who are desperate to maintain control, has to be dismissed completely. Cha Cha, you had 8 years to do something. If anything, corruption has gotten worse under your watch. You are a failed leader and a very small man, who is roundly despised, by nearly all. 

Most of us look forward to your political exile, and quite possibly your physical exile, once the many crimes of your administration have been unearthed. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s corruption situation has seen little improvement over the years no matter what parties were in power.

Of course not......who are the biggest beneficiaries of corruption?.....the very people in charge of preventing it.

Yes. Wasn't the head of the anti-corruption office arrested for corruption?

• Haha 2

Complaining about corrupt politicians anywhere in the world is like complaining about birds flying or that rain is wet. The special hallmark of Thai corruption however is that it is a pursuit without shame and almost no consequences. Mark Twain said that mankind is the only animal that blushes....or needs to, the Thais have set themselves in their own ball park on that one, they see no need to.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais’ tolerance for deep-seated corruption appears to be wearing thin, putting pressure on political parties to stop paying lip service to the problem and start rolling out tangible solutions.

Prayuts promise to stop corruption fell rather short of expectations, like most of his other policies.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Earlier this month, a senior official at the revenue office in Bangkok’s Ratchathewi district was charged with taking bribes of about 4 million baht in exchange for waiving 40 million baht in building-and-land tax. A search of his home revealed the modestly paid bureaucrat somehow owned assets worth over 100 million baht.

Tip of a very large ice-berg.

• Like 1