Toilet Paper Versus The Bum-Gun; Many Expats Say They Know The Answer

webfact

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds rather drastic, all you should need is a T-piece connector on the inlet water pipe.

that is the problem that the water supply from the wall comes into the cistern not leaving any way to connect to it unless to drill a hole into the cistern and connect the bum washer hose.

In Finland we have the bum-gun in (almost) every WC.

Only it's done cheaper: Connected to the same water pipe that goes to the water tap of hand basin. You have to open the water tap first. So we built the toilet bowl and hand basin close to each other.

Otherwise it's similar.

they are not allowed in the west because of the risk of back flow into the water system - in most countries water is safe to drink from the tap - not so in Thailand 

I am not sure what the real risk is in terms of backflow - I am sure it is very small to zero - a non return valve would solve the issue anyway

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

they are not allowed in the west because of the risk of back flow into the water system - in most countries water is safe to drink from the tap - not so in Thailand 

I am not sure what the real risk is in terms of backflow - I am sure it is very small to zero - a non return valve would solve the issue anyway

The UK would require a "double-check valve" which is essentially two non-return valves in one housing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

I suspect my history of hemorrhoids contributes to that problem.

I can't imagine ................... yes manually rubbing your hemorrhoids constantly with bogroll is going to improve things, ever thought of dealing with the real problem - your ###  hemorrhoids

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I first discovered the bucket and pail over 40 years ago on my first trip to Thailand and never used toilet paper in my home or Thailand since. The bum gun is a relatively newer invention.

They were here then especially here in Thailand. Lower end places to stay had the bucket and dripper, and you still find them up country often. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Are you sure ? The research is somewhat mixed but some medical experts say toilet paper is worse for spreading bacteria around the anal and perianal areas.

In the article below, New York rectal surgeon Evan Goldstein argues for the use of water in preference to toilet paper.

Bidets are healthier than toilet paper according to a rectal surgeon

As he points out:

Surely, in the use of the toilet spray, the anus is cleaner than if just paper was used, but the surrounding areas are dirtier?  When using paper alone, generally no stool is spread anywhere other than the anus, but in using the spray, stool is necessarily sprayed wherever the water goes.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There were thousands of Australians fighting over toilet paper in supermarket aisles during the COVID pandemic.

Same as in the USA. My friends were posting pictures of empty shelves in the stores. I replied back with pics of pallets stacked high in Makro.

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I stayed in a hotel once where they had one of those super duper japanese toilets. The control panel for the built in auto bum gun was like something off a spaceship; pressure, temp, pulse, angle etc.

All it needed was an "Engage" button.

What, no 'tug' button?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, indyo said:

it's very unhealthy, coli bacterias going everywhere, specially for women is not a good practice, the best solution is toilet paper plus bidet obviously using soap as well.

As opposed to smaring the coli bacteria around your ring with a piece of paper.....and then not washing your hands? 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Surely, in the use of the toilet spray, the anus is cleaner than if just paper was used, but the surrounding areas are dirtier?  When using paper alone, generally no stool is spread anywhere other than the anus, but in using the spray, stool is necessarily sprayed wherever the water goes.

Dont ever use a real gun you will shoot yourself. ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, indyo said:

it's very unhealthy, coli bacterias going everywhere, specially for women is not a good practice, the best solution is toilet paper plus bidet obviously using soap as well.

One would have to be extremely uncoordinated to be splashing bacteria around, although I suppose it is possible with jumbo-sized backsides.

• Haha 1