Toilet Paper Versus The Bum-Gun; Many Expats Say They Know The Answer

webfact

Once addicted to this rinse, challenging to travel, as the body gets used to completely emptying with water..  Then a few years ago, I discovered and highly recommend this portable Thai made and designed sprayer. Can take it apart and keep in handbag, great for airplanes which never have a spray, as well as most other bathrooms. Can call to order, they deliver for 250 baht. Can use most any plastic drink bottle. Just keep a cloth in the pocket to dry with as well...    

• Thanks 1

Yup, I'm all for the bum gun & something that I miss when I'm back in the u.k, a friend of mine once told me that if you place the gun flush against your arshole creating an air tight seal & gently pulling the trigger ( low pressure is advisable) that you can recreat your own personal colon irrigation system in the comfort of your own home........????????

Edited by Bazerino
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

I stayed in a hotel once where they had one of those super duper japanese toilets. The control panel for the built in auto bum gun was like something off a spaceship; pressure, temp, pulse, angle etc.

All it needed was an "Engage" button.

The toilets in Terminal 21 Pattaya are all like this. Exept for they sized them to be suited for children only (or small chinese butts). I always use paper with these Japanese installations. Of course it is then the local paper which you have to fold 8 times to get at least a stroner feel. And then the paper is not wide enough either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Most expensive imported brand please, textured and imprinted with little butterflies and perhaps even a couple of muted colours. 

Spot on. The locally supplied paper does not really invite you to use it. Must be folded at least 8 times before it becomes strong enough to be useful for the purpose and it is not wide enough either.

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They must be thinking they have a superiorly clean anus, while in reality it is probably dirtier than if they used just paper

Maybe some do... I have never experienced "klingons" or anything of that ilk - pre or post bum-gun use. 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

they are not allowed in the west because of the risk of back flow into the water system - in most countries water is safe to drink from the tap - not so in Thailand 

In my western hometown our drinking water is mostly purified wastewater. I guess some placed won't invest in treatment plants? Or have gobs of fresh water to use? 

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There were thousands of Australians fighting over toilet paper in supermarket aisles during the COVID pandemic. I was not one of them. Every dwelling I have owned in Australia since I first visited Thailand in the nineties is equipped with a bum gun. Toilet paper alone makes me feel dirty.

There is a nanny state regulation in Australia prohibiting the installation of bum guns. No doubt formulated by some bureaucratic richardhead. The basis of the prohibition is fecal contamination of mains water supply.

It's one hell of a bacteria or virus that can swim back past half a dozen check valves with miles of pipeline against a positive pressure/flow any time a bum gun is used, but that is government stupidity for you.

Have never heard oh this "regulation," can you provide a link, or further information?

tp is so gross.

i never understood it to be honest.

lets say you slip and fall in your moo ban and you happen to land in a soi dog treat. 

you would run home and right away wash the entire area to ensure all the damage was gone. but yet tp is just wadded up and you wipe your bottom until it is *clean*

i personally shower after.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Maybe some do... I have never experienced "klingons" or anything of that ilk - pre or post bum-gun use. 

If I understand the terminology correctly, "klingons" would be stool clumping on the rectal pubic hair, which is not what I was talking about.  I was explaining that there is still stool within the anus which you still need to clean with toilet paper after using the toilet spray if you do not also scrub.

7 hours ago, indyo said:

it's very unhealthy, coli bacterias going everywhere, specially for women is not a good practice, the best solution is toilet paper plus bidet obviously using soap as well.

Your boss must dread when you are in need of a number 2

9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I use it to dry my @rse

Many do not and end up with damp patches on their clothing in derriere areas - most off-putting when waiting in a Thai hospital queue and you are next to sit on a damp stained chair! My choice:

Izal: “The invisible guardian against risks to health.”

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Here's my experience... gun bum, cool, refreshing, great after a spicy meal.. BUT, unless you use your hand, to wash the area, you'd be surprised how much brown stuff is left behind... Don't believe me... them just try wiping your butt after washing.

With a good sprayer and application butts get left with only water on them, no brown stuff for you to play with.

Is this thread done quarterly or only twice a year?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Wet wipes are the only way to get truly clean inside and out. After either paper and -OR- water gun. Haven't been without wet wipes in 35 years. 

Not using a wet ass wipe is like brushing but not flossing. Doesn't even come close to getting the entire job done proper. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

Japan invented electronic bidets - not the bum gun. In 8 years of living there I've never once seen a bum gun there - 99% of toilets have electronic bidets.

Which brings me to the next poop..err..point - between living in Japan and Thailand for 15+ years, I don't quite remember when was the last time I've used toilet paper. Trips back to my home country were a painful experience (literally) until I realized that wait - why not just install a bum gun there? it's not rocket science. Ordered one from Amazon (I think) and boom! my very own bum blaster. Works great in summer, but will freeze my butt off (literally) in winter. Stil better than grinding toilet paper though!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

With a good sprayer and application butts get left with only water on them, no brown stuff for you to play with.

Is this thread done quarterly or only twice a year?

Apparently not enough. And agreed- with the right water pressure and enough time, it will blast away anything there. Using your hand might get the job done quicker, but isn't actually necessary with the proper... technique.

• Confused 1

There is a reason the French, and those societies they have come in contact with adopted from them the use of fresh water to wash their nether region for centuries now.

When the English were dusting themselves with all manner of scented powders and not washing for weeks and months at a time the French were washing daily. 

We English derived societies have by comparison quite disgusting personal hygiene. 

The Japanese have been washing themselves both in their private areas and bodily every day for a thousand years, when Europeans were sitting around in the mud.

Think upon it if you aren't squeamish. Wiping and smearing faeces between your bottom cheeks then puttying your clothes back on and moving about all day and night in this state. 

There's a great singular reason why Thai women are the cleanest I have ever been with and one of the major contributing factors to their delightful cleanliness is the hand held bidet.

I, once introduced to the atypical French bidet many many years ago on my first sojourn to la belle France, and then later the hand held device in Asia, never ever used anything to wipe my bottom ever again ... I have been 'squeaky' clean ever since. 

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Most Thais spray with one hand and wipe with other to get everything off.  Why do you think they don't shake hands.

Thanks, and I would also be concerned about using both hands to serve food from local market stalls and dipping into ice buckets for ice cubes!

Love the gun ????.    Installed one back in rural southern Australia before I moved here permanently. My wife and  I had no problems during the Covid induced toilet paper crisis - other than rectal freezing during the winter!!

Toilet paper? I tought it's tissue!!! I come now over 30 years to thailand and live now 15 years here. I only used toilet paper at my first holiday here. After this only BUM GUN!!! 

Just wash your hands with soap and everything will be ok.

Ups, I hated it to come back to europe and to use toilet paper again insteed of a bum gun. It's hurt a week long to use the paper.

Edited by snowgard