Hot weather blamed for increased power consumption and charges

snoop1130

E1FCBD24-C75B-442B-A833-807D3979E07A.png

The Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) is blaming the increase in electricity bills for many households in Bangkok on the hot weather, requiring greater use of air-conditioners.

Government Spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri explained today (Friday) that for every rise of 1oC in external temperature, an air-conditioner in a house or office will consume 3% more energy to maintain the cooler temperature inside the building.

For instance, if the outside temperature is 30oC, to keep the temperature in the house at 26oC, an air-conditioner must reduce the temperature inside the house by 4oC. If, however, the outside temperature is 40oC, the air-conditioner must work harder to reduce the temperature by 14oC.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/hot-weather-blamed-for-increased-power-consumption-and-charges/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 minute ago, snoop1130 said:

For instance, if the outside temperature is 30oC, to keep the temperature in the house at 26oC, an air-conditioner must reduce the temperature inside the house by 4oC. If, however, the outside temperature is 40oC, the air-conditioner must work harder to reduce the temperature by 14oC.

Have my units set at 25c right now and they seem to be struggling, my weather station says outside its 33c but feels like 39c right now.  Inside the house it is 27.6.  It was a scorcher again today here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Still 40c in CM in the afternoons, near 5pm now and down to 37c.

Been hiding in my bedroom all aft, air-con managed to get it down to 30c.

Funnily enough my air con works better in the day than night. I think this is due to the fact that the walls , that have retained daytime heat , radiate it out when the sun goes down and are not properly cool until the morning. So during the morning and early afternoon the walls are still not that hot, so air con works fine. Come 6.30 pm the inside walls are very warm to touch so the air con has to fight with this heat.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

waaw what a great study.... when it is hot the airco has to work harder/longer to keep cool and when it is colder he airco can be used shorter or less...Science of the topshelf

That's not a study but science!

Edited by Peterphuket

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Still 40c in CM in the afternoons, near 5pm now and down to 37c.

Been hiding in my bedroom all aft, air-con managed to get it down to 30c.

Nakhon Pathom reached 41C for the last 3 days at around 3pm

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

It's very hot, aircons are on longer, electricity bills go up. Not exactly rocket science.

Yes but unfortunately some Thai people seem to have no idea that an LED light might consume 10 W while an aircon consumes a 1000 W or more.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

It's very hot, aircons are on longer, electricity bills go up. Not exactly rocket science.

And study the ever recurring alarm from users who have "not used AC more than last month" and wonder about the hefty bill rise.

So you will see that such basic advice is necessary.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Thereis some deception with the blaming of the hot weather as the real price for electricity has risen  by 15 percent at least . Just blame the weather OK 

• Thumbs Up 1