ECST group cites England’s plan to hand out free vaping kits to help 1M smokers quit smoking

snoop1130

Thailand considers providing free e-cigarettes following England’s strategy
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Unsplash

Thailand‘s End Cigarette Smoke Thailand (ECST) Group has praised the UK‘s efforts to provide free vaping kits and its focus on preventing minors from accessing e-cigarettes. This positive response follows England’s recent announcement of a £45 million budget for the distribution of vaping kits to reduce smoking rates.

The campaign includes a further £3 million budget dedicated to monitoring and clamping down on e-cigarette sales to underage buyers. Meanwhile, in Thailand, the sale and use of e-cigarettes remain illegal, leading to an unregulated black market and increased access for minors. As a result, the ECST group hopes that the Thai government in the 2023 elections will reconsider and potentially legalise vaping.

Asa Saligupta, a representative of ECST and the Facebook page “What are e-cigarettes?”, which has over 100,000 followers, shared their thoughts on how the UK’s regulations could benefit Thailand…

“E-cigarettes are legal in England, allowing its government to impose measures and effectively enforce the regulations to protect minors. The UK government is set to allow £45 million to reduce the country’s smoking rate and another £3 million for clamping down on shops selling vapes to youths under the age of 18.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-considers-providing-free-e-cigarettes-following-englands-strategy

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I wonder what the cost is to the NHS to take care of all the lung diseased smokers.

Probably a lot more than £45M. 

That is possibly what the UK has in mind. I'm having trouble seeing a parallel scenario in Thailand.

Thailand is causing its own lung cancer pandemic by doing nothing about crop burning.  I bet annual road deaths far outnumber Covid deaths but the former are condoned by RTP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I can foresee a mega class lawsuit in years from now, accusing the UK governments for supplying cancer causing paraphernalia while trying to solve one problem and creating another.

Spot-on. The long term impacts of vaping are not yet known, and I have already read reports of lung damage from vaping.

I see trouble ahead......

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Homburg said:

Spot-on. The long term impacts of vaping are not yet known, and I have already read reports of lung damage from vaping.

Wasn't people in Chiang Mai vaping was it?

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You may imply that those who cannot stop smoking are week but keep in mind nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on Earth.

nonsense..nicotine isnt addictive the additives in ciggies are..nicotine binds to the ace-2 receptors and is actually aiding in preventing multiple health issues..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wombat said:

Idtent here has one question...

Does the vapor that is inhaled contain nicotine?

You can get juice that does not have nictotine and you can juice that does have nicotine to varying degrees of strength. People who have gotten off of cigs use nicotine juice because they're addicted but they are no longer inhaling the carcnogins found in cigarettes.

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The End Cigarette Smoke Thailand (ECST)

Pretty much the tobacco company pushing another drug. 

"Relationship with the Tobacco Industry"

"ECST works closely with other organizations that have industry connections, such as the International Network of Nicotine Consumer Organisations (INNCO). INNCO is a grantee of the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World (FSFW), and the FSFW in turn is funded by Philip Morris International (PMI).[2]"

https://timonitor.seatca.org/end-cigarette-smoking-in-thailand-ecst/

As long as people aren't under the impression that vaping is safe and is addictive.

I personally don't care as it's probably better than smoking.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Only £45M to those who cannot stop smoking via self control. No wonder UK is broke.

OFF TOPIC. Coronation is going to cost around £100M. That's £1.50 per head of population.

Not sure which one is the bigger waste of my tax £££ ????

8 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Some of us figure it's all in the cards & don't really want to grow to be ANCIENT, grumpy old B@sta@rds.

We ENJOY our tobacco/nicotine.

======

You could smoke in the White House of the USA prior to Hillary Clinton.

Now transgender guys have "rights", and us normal folks that have smoked tobacco for the past 2,000 years do not.

Liberals.keep going down the Rabbit Hole, and the Lemmings (Progressive Liberals) follow.

Oh yeah, I never would use ANY kind of "Obama Care" nor the NHS to keep me alive.

When I made my own choices & have zero interest in any kind of Nanny State trying to keep me alive at taxpayer expense.

"When I made my own choices & have zero interest in any kind of Nanny State trying to keep me alive at taxpayer expense," come back and stand by your comment, when you actually need the "Nanny" states care, until yhen you're only grandstanding.

1 hour ago, Zapitapi said:

hey up to u what u believe.. but there is NO conclusive study onj nicotine without the tabacco or additives

"NO conclusive study onj nicotine without the tabacco or additives" are you serious? We are talking about smoking. Mate nicotine sulphate is a pesticide but we're not talking about that.  It's about vaping and how this might help people give up smoking cigarettes that contain nicotine (addictive) with over 4000 chemicals and possibley >60 carcinogens found it (cigarette). Which ever way you try to spin this NICOTINE IS ADDICTIVE.

The links I shared are academic papers. I'm not sure if you know about Google Scholar but it seems you don't. It is part of the Google platform where you can find scholarly/academic papers such as the ones I posted. The ones that state nictotine is addictive. If you think you know more than the people doing the research and submitting papers well that's entirely up to you. 

Ahhhh! I need a joint and a cig and a nice cold beer.

By the way please show me anything that says it's not nicotine that's addictive in cigs but it's the additives from a formal academic paper which has been submitted.

This is from the WHO. "Nicotine contained in tobacco is highly addictive"

https://www.who.int/health-topics/tobacco#tab=tab_1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

good, but my vice is a nice cool beer.

Why stick to one vice my friend? Of course a vice is a religious thing so just ignore that, stick to your moral principles and enjoy life.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Not sure which one is the bigger waste of my tax £££ ????

Neither compare to the £37bn wasted on the faulty Track and trace system

or the £30bn hit to the economy for the scrapped Kwartang budget,

or the £10bn covid loan fraud loss
or the £100bn hit to the economy caused by brexit.

Sometimes £100m doesn't seem so much...

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Homburg said:

Where did you read these reports. In a respespected peer reviewed scientific Journal? Please send a link.

19 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Speaking as a non smoker, I would rather sit next to a smoker than one who vapes, horrible things 

Surprising.... I am I guess an ex smoker (few decades), but would far prefer to be near a vaper than a smoker.....kept being told it is just water vapour. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Surprising.... I am I guess an ex smoker (few decades), but would far prefer to be near a vaper than a smoker.....kept being told it is just water vapour. 

Everyone to their own opinion 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:52 AM, ezzra said:

I can foresee a mega class lawsuit in years from now, accusing the UK governments for supplying cancer causing paraphernalia while trying to solve one problem and creating another.

UK Health authorities base judgements and policies on solid scientific evidence from the most respected real scientific bodies as well as its own commissioned research. 

Reports on Tik-Tok by teenagers, their mates, and supposedly what a doctor said really don't count. The bulk of so called 'evidence' often regurgitated ad-nauseum by the Daily Mail for instance come from from outliers, pilot studies, and hugely biased sources, and often add confounding factors such as other drug use which are the more obvious causes, nevertheless there is such an overwhelming desire to prove vaping is dangerous that truth and fact go straight out the window.  Teenagers in particular neglect to mention vaping cannabis oil.