Daily Covid-19 cases in Bangkok spike

webfact

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Does the deputy City Clerk at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), Dr. Wantanee Watana know the first thing about immunological science? What is his specialty? 

First he stated there is a huge spike and then he says calm down, there is no real worry. 

I believe calm down and there is no worry is the correct attitude to take. This virus continues to morph into the flu, and life goes on. 

it morphs more into a common cold. The Flu is very serious, but this strain of Covid and having some immunity already means for almost everyone a few days sore throat and coughing. One of my staff was coughing all the time while working, no one care, no one tested anything. And he wear the mask only when ridding his motorbike but not in the office.
So at least here I can't see a lot of panic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

Is this still a thing? 6 months ago I stopped Covid testing for every sniffle or sore throat I got.

I have just had covid in Australia and it was horrible - lasted 12 days and was a whole body experience, not just a sniffle, that left me utterly drained of energy and bed bound.  Perhaps the Thai version is less nasty. Makes me wary of visiting Thailand for a month in July for fear of catching it on the flight there or just before returning. Never got a sore throat and an irritating dry cough only really surfaced around day 9 and has not gone away. 700 cases doesn't seem many for a city the size of Bangkok, but as you say, many probably don't test or report the result. I didn't even report mine here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The multiplication rate is the issue with covid. It takes only one to mutate to a serious form and we are back to 2020. A little bit of caution now pays dividends. It's sad there are so many sheeple here who never read the science and are guided by politics.

a) it is improbable that it mutate back into a serious form.

b) Even a serious form like Delta would not harm the population as bad as in the past because almost everyone has some immunity from infections that is very broad acting and will also make new variants less harmful

• Like 1

Just now, h90 said:

a) it is improbable that it mutate back into a serious form.

It is possible. Simple precautions like wearing masks aren't hard or onerous.

Just now, h90 said:

b) Even a serious form like Delta would not harm the population as bad as in the past because almost everyone has some immunity from infections that is very broad acting and will also make new variants less harmful

Most of the world's population have never had the virus.

• Sad 1

Whereas this OP news report just deals with Bangkok, the Thai MoPH has also released its latest stats of national new COVID hospitalizations, which have increased more than 600% since the start of April to more than 1,000 per week.

The current number of new weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand is the largest of any weekly total since the start of 2023, although official COVID deaths were considerably higher at the start of the year.

New COVID hospitalizations that were running an average of 24 per day during the first week of April have now reached an average of 155 per day, according to the MOPH.  That means the weekly totals of COVID hospitalizations during that period rose from 168 to 1,088 per week.

During the same period, weekly COVID deaths reported by the Thai government rose from 2 to 5 as of the latest weekly report, though Thailand has a very narrow definition of what it counts as a COVID death, and officials death stats are widely regarded as undercounts. At the beginning of 2023, Thai weekly COVID deaths were in the 50s to 60s.

The Thai MoPH no longer publicly reports mere COVID infections / cases. But one Thai doctor recently estimated that Thailand's new COVID case count (not COVID hospitalizations) likely are headed toward 5,000 to 10,000 per day.

Meanwhile, the latest weekly report from the Thai MoPH covering April 16-22 does recount that Thailand has now had 6,571 COVID hospitalizations and 278 official COVID deaths since the start of the current year.

April 2 - 8

685896618_202304-02to04-08WeeklyReport.jpg.2aa827fced956907071e977c86f0f797.jpg

April 9 - 15

2130425299_202304-09to04-15WeeklyReport.jpg.60ea71f3b89ce358d60be13e2479a18b.jpg

April 16 - 22

1006801925_202304-16to04-22WeeklyReport.thumb.jpg.850725b0f8da2b797bb7e40c92483bc2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos

• Sad 1

Temporary Covid-19 surge may result in 10,000 daily cases

4 days ago

A new wave of Covid-19 infections is expected to bring daily cases to 5,000-10,000, but a swift decline in numbers is predicted thereafter, according to Dr Nitipatana Chierakul, Head of the Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis Division at the Faculty of Medicine in Siriraj Hospital.

In a statement on his Facebook page, Dr Nitipatana noted a rise in infections caused by the Omicron XBB.1.16 sub-variant but highlighted the majority of cases were mild. He explained that severe reactions were likely due to pre-existing health conditions. He said…

“During the new wave, daily cases are estimated at 5,000-10,000 patients, which is relatively low compared to last year. It is anticipated that cases will reduce within a few weeks.”

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/temporary-surge-may-result-in-10000-daily-cases-for-a-brief-period

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

BMA: Thousands Catching Covid In Bangkok Everyday
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

A representative image of the Omicron variant. Photo: Health.clevelandclinic.org

BANGKOK Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said today (Apr. 22) that a post-Songkran festival Covid spike has led to the number of in-patients in the capital jumping from around 300-400 cases day to maximum 700 and if those who are infected but have not reported their condition to the monitoring system are added it is likely thousands are getting infected everyday, TV Channel 7 said.

However Dr. Wantanee Wattana, BMA’s deputy permanent secretary, urged the public to not panic because the new Omicron subvariant XBB. 1.16, which may cause conjunctivitis – red and itchy eyes, especially in babies and young children, has not started spreading with those who fall sick catching the previous variants.

She urged people at risk and those in the vulnerable groups, among whom are people over 60 years of age and those who have congenital diseases, to stay safe and if they have not been vaccinated for four to six months then they should get another jab.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/04/22/bma-thousands-catching-covid-in-bangkok-everyday/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

and the contradictions & misleading information are on the rise as well  555

BMA: Thousands Catching Covid In Bangkok Everyday

around 300-400 cases day to maximum 700

11 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Yes, and we all know it's not dangerous or has ever been dangerous for the larger sum of people. Therefore, there should never had been any lockdown or restrictions.

7 million official COVID deaths since the start of the pandemic, and estimates the real figure is more in the 15-20 million range due to undercounting.

"never dangerous for the larger sum of people"???

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Imagine they would report this with normal flu cases, or how many people are diagnosed with cancer, you would be more shocked.

No, those comparisons would be just what has long been reported -- COVID has been one of the world's top causes of death since the start of the pandemic -- usually less than cancer and heart disease, but more than most anything else including the flu, colds, etc.

Screenshot_2.jpg.e3a34ec427bb23bfead24bad5a4ba2f6.jpg

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid-19-leading-cause-of-death-ranking/#Total deaths in the United States from COVID-19 and other leading causes, 2020-2022

Screenshot_1.jpg.3bb63ff14d38c99de32c7b4814649e67.jpg

https://fortune.com/well/2022/09/27/why-covid-isnt-like-the-flu-death-toll-leading-cause-death-omicron-shot-booster-vaccine/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're the one who's confused.

The hundreds of patients count involves COVID HOSPITALIZATIONS.

The thousands numbers involve estimates of numbers of infections, which the government doesn't officially count or report anymore.

The tell sign is the reference to "in-patients" (meaning hospital admissions) in their report:

"BANGKOK Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said today (Apr. 22) that a post-Songkran festival Covid spike has led to the number of in-patients in the capital jumping from around 300-400 cases day to maximum 700"

now I am even more confused, u just posted the same numbers.... by any chance do you have any data to support whatever u are trying to say

My wife and her friends contracted in Korat and spread to the rest of the family (me, boys 11 and 7) when she returned home to isolate. All already vaccinated.

Much milder than first time, two days in bed, boys hardly missed a beat.

I’m certainly not worried about getting it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

now I am even more confused, u just posted the same numbers.... by any chance do you have any data to support whatever u are trying to say

COVID infections are mere infections, which don't necessarily involve being hospitalized. That's going to be the thousands numbers.

COVID hospitalizations mean the person was admitted as an inpatient to the hospital because of COVID.  That's going to be the hundreds numbers.

Two different things. Two different sets of  statistics....

See the following. The data you want is there:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Much milder than first time, two days in bed, boys hardly missed a beat.

I’m certainly not worried about getting it again.

You should be:

"New research finds that with each repeat COVID infection – even asymptomatic infection – your risk for complications increases. These include:

• stroke
  • heart attack
  • diabetes
  • digestive and kidney disorders
  • long-term cognitive impairment, including dementia

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/omicron-variant

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

You mean the China virus?  What could possibly be causing this uptick in cases.

Umm, a few million drunk Thai people in close contact with each other partying  for three days. Public health experts accurately predicted an increase in cases because activity like that is the perfect way to spread airborne diseases. 

I wonder what we should call the problem of people referring to Covid as the “Chinese Virus”? The pinhead bigot disease?