3 words banned at Thailand’s airports

webfact

image.jpeg

by leah

Unless you want to land yourself a prison sentence and a hefty fine, there are three words you should avoid saying in Thai airports and during flights, warns Airports of Thailand (AOT).

AOT took to Facebook yesterday to remind passengers of their policy of what is unacceptable to say and do in an airport following the controversy caused by a Thai model on social media yesterday, who filmed herself intentionally repeating the word “bomb” (raberd) at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.

Nisamanee “Nut” Lertvorapong drew criticism online for sneakily fitting the word “bomb” into her sentences around the airport – e.g., “I want to eat noodles with fish ball bombs,” “your dress is the bomb.”

Some netizens said the model was only making a joke which shouldn’t be taken so seriously.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/3-words-banned-at-thailands-airports

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, proton said:

I don't believe anything written by the kiddies on the Thaiger without verification

The best verification for you would be to go to the airport, stand next to a security person, and shout the words very loudly.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And should be. 

Years back I had just boarded a flight at KL International and someone at check-in told the check-in clerk her check-in bag had a bomb in it.

As expected the airport staff, all people milling around KLIA and passengers on all aircraft waiting to take off deplaned and bused to another complex about 1km away. Police in flack jackets, helmets etc, and with rifles appeared quickly.

Then big team of army guys called in, 5 hrs later army announced 'all clear' and everybody bused back to the airport. Two hrs later my flight to Bkk departed.

Days later the news services mentioned the bomb hoax passenger had been sentenced to 60 days jail in Malaysia and fined about 100,000Baht. Plus ongoing action by various aviation companies, shops at KLIA suing for hoaxer for compensation.

She claimed it was all totally unfair because it was just a joke. Nationality of the hoaker I don't recall.

Yes what a hassle. I didnt know about hijack though. Luckily Jack is not as common as John.

Depends on the context of how the words are used.

A couple of months back I was picking up at the airport at a very quiet time (3am -ish) and the only way to make the security staff understand that the unattended baggage reserving the seats directly in front of their manned security post was to use the word 'bomb', as in "their could be a bomb in this unattended cases".

They were totally oblivious to the dangers that an unattended bag could harbour.

They thought that people leaving bags unattended 'in an international airport' was not a problem at all.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

She sounds as if she is nothing other than an attention seeking social media slave.

On another note, I must remember to never greet my friend Jack at an airport.

No, but if you see him and like his outfit, you should say "Jack! Wow!"

I recall many years ago when traveling with colleagues on business we joked about saying 'BOM' while on the plane.

Yes, we all worked in the high tech manufacturing field and our daily work evolved around BOMs.

(Bill Of Material)

25 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I recall many years ago when traveling with colleagues on business we joked about saying 'BOM' while on the plane.

Yes, we all worked in the high tech manufacturing field and our daily work evolved around BOMs.

(Bill Of Material)

Say Hi (pause) Jack 5 times. See what happens. 

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Say Hi (pause) Jack 5 times. See what happens. 

I did and Jack just appeared in my room.....  It's kind of like saying 'Bogeyman' or 'Bloody Mary' several times real fast.

:cheesy:

Edited by dingdongrb

I said: "Man portable anti-aircraft missile", during security check at LHR, and got away with it.

I nearly **** myself when the supervisor pulled me over.

(I'm usually very well behaved in airports.........but I'd had a very bad day)

Edited by Enoon

More than 30 years ago the only carry on checks were at the gate LHR to Northern Ireland. 

Had a rush job as a GPMG had fallen on the pan from a Wessex helicopter. RAF didn't  want the IRA to have one.

Travelled in civies and went straight to boarding.

Got to x-ray and asked for supervisor as my test equipment  was Dangerous Air Cargo. This put security in panic mode A potential bomb? (6 aerosols of flammable liquid and magnets ???? of various  power.)

Went to a private room and convinced the supervisor that I had followed all safety  precautions and the urgency of task, he allowed my equipment to travel in hold.

My test equipment  remained at Ballykelly  on my return to base, to avoid any extra hassle. 

Chas